SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
18z Model Thread 12/22

yoda

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question - does the GFS have an increased bias towards climo in the North western hemisphere? I'm wondering if the reason the Euro has been better in December - I mean, significantly better - is because it works off a climo model that is less defined, particularly for this quadrant?

Or maybe this question would be worth waiting 6 days to ask...

Phases @ 72....

Goes Negative 84-90

and still doesn't close off at h5 till 102 untill it's east of lewes delaware.

anyone else think that seems a bit slow considering the amount of energy being absorbed by the trough? or does that seem reasonable? ( interms to the overall outcome)

Yeah agreed, even though the surface track is quite similar and a tad weaker, the upper air charts are more favorable. A good step indeed.

Yeah. The first thing I thought when I saw the 102hr panel was "almost there". I suspect that, if all goes well, we will see another nudge west on the 00z suite..which is tremendously important with the shortwave coming ashore. I'm not sure if it will get on land by 00z but it will certainly be very close.

Yeah. The first thing I thought when I saw the 102hr panel was "almost there". I suspect that, if all goes well, we will see another nudge west on the 00z suite..which is tremendously important with the shortwave coming ashore. I'm not sure if it will get on land by 00z but it will certainly be very close.

Yeah it was so close Looking at 96 at the upper air chart, it has room to hook NW. Look at the blob of convection tracking NE, the GFS really has that overcoming the synoptic forcings/mesoscale jet circulation wanting to hook into the coast. I throw the thought out there, but there is an outside shot ECM is more right simply because of its horizontal resolution (spectral wave) alone and that it can better handle the meso forcings and possibly convection--all of which will play a very prominent role in a rapid feedback cyclone such as this.

Yeah it was so close Looking at 96 at the upper air chart, it has room to hook NW. Look at the blob of convection tracking NE, the GFS really has that overcoming the synoptic forcings/mesoscale jet circulation wanting to hook into the coast. I throw the thought out there, but there is an outside shot ECM is more right simply because of its vertical resolution (spectral wave) alone and that it can better handle the meso forcings and possibly convection.

The Euro has had this solution, or something with big coastal impact, for six runs in a row now. The GFS has trended towards it slowly..I would like to see some signals on the GFS Ensembles in a few minutes when the mean comes out.

In about 12-24 hours..if the current modeling holds and the Euro doesn't get flat..I will ring the dinner bell. The Euro very rarely gives off an alarm like this and it's doing it right now. I can't even begin to count the amount of times I have seen the GFS be slightly southeast and less amplified than the Euro at 102 hrs only to come northwest as the storm approached.

That being said..this is a very fragile setup. I've said it several times. Somebody can sneeze near the MS river and mess up the phase. So we can hope the Euro's vertical resolution is helping it resolve the differences here. But I would hope some globals start trending west soon; otherwise the Euro will begin to become an obnoxious outlier.

Yeah agreed, even though the surface track is quite similar and a tad weaker, the upper air charts are more favorable. A good step indeed.

the upper air at 90hrs and what occurs with sfc low post 90hrs seems like a disconnect a bit.

in comparing the 18z op gfs to the 12z ec, pretty darn close with all major vorts...biggest difference I see is north of the Great Lakes in Ont with GFS having vortex farther south and east. then by 6z sunday the 18z op gfs allows for more energy to dig toward MSP as opposed to euro keeing a more more North to south flow there. those small differences look to alter the sharpness/broadness of the over mean trof and affect the timing and amplitude with which features phase

Archived