• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

The severe weather sounds exciting, but really hope this isn't going to be like last winter and we have a lot of rain, and then cold and dry. It finally got good in February. I just thought this winter was going to be better with more snow chances in December and January, too.

Alot of severe storms should bring alot of snow! 10 days after it thunders in winter, we get a wintry event! :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Accu_Wx.png

Severe Weather to Grip Southeast, Gulf Coast States

As one of the strongest El Niños in the last 50 to 60 years continues to develop, it's likely that heavy rainfall and severe weather will take aim at the Southeast and Gulf Coast.  

El Niño patterns often result in severe weather outbreaks for this region as bigger, stronger systems are able to take a southern storm track.  Florida, in particular, may have a higher risk for tornadoes this season. Southern Georgia and South Carolina are also at a higher risk for severe weather events.  

Overall, heavy rain will be widespread for the South.

As the season progresses, additional rain on an already saturated ground will increase the chances for flooding.

"As far as the biggest impacts go, I would look at Shreveport and New Orleans, Louisiana, and Mobile, Alabama. I think those areas are going to get hit with a lot of rain," Pastelok said.

I'm not sure I remember a winter when we had abundant snow chances from December to March. It's certainly not the norm. The norm is rain, followed by cold and dry. What you're hoping for may be a tad unrealistic.

are you sure you're talking about NC winters ? That sounds exactly like GA winters and I know our winters are a lot different than NC.

are you sure you're talking about NC winters ? That sounds exactly like GA winters and I know our winters are a lot different than NC.

Yeah, I was mainly speaking of here.  But needless to say (saying anyway :) )pretty much all of the lowlands in the SE don't have wall to wall blockbuster winters with snowstorm after snowstorm.

The last 10 winters overall have been really rough here. 5 out of the last 10 winters I haven't had any accumulating snow or ice. Before this 10 year stretch, I had never gone a winter without at least a dusting of snow or ice that I can remember. I'm afraid in 20 years, I will have the same climate as Waycross which pretty much means I can kiss snow goodbye for good.

Most snow in a season in Winston-Salem in the past 100 years is 39 inches in 1930-31

Courtesy of Eric Webb...big reason for 1931 being so large for INT.  Surprised that 1987 wasn't as snowy, need to check that winter.

Just checked 1987, looks like 35".  I grew up in Winston, I remember that winter very well.

post-2311-0-63057600-1444248488_thumb.pn

The last 10 winters overall have been really rough here. 5 out of the last 10 winters I haven't had any accumulating snow or ice. Before this 10 year stretch, I had never gone a winter without at least a dusting of snow or ice that I can remember. I'm afraid in 20 years, I will have the same climate as Waycross which pretty much means I can kiss snow goodbye for good.

So  your addition to the discussion from this is that you won't have any measurable snow this year?

Move to ATL , they get 3 times the snow Carrollton does!

I absolutely love the EURO runs for us in the SE. The 5H pattern with a strong High locked into Western Canada with a trough in the SE and a southern jet cutting along the gulf and then up the coast is what we hope for here. People in NE will do just fine as well because normal to slightly above for Jan-March still equates to a lot of snow for them, especially if we get times with a -NAO. Down here (and to some extent the MA) being 2-3 below normal and a constant flow of moisture is much better than what we saw last year, where the cold occasionally overwhelmed the pattern and dried us out when the cold was here. I look for us to have many chances in late Jan-early March to get some wintry precipitation of both ice and snow. Biggest problem could be if we have too progressive a pattern and the timing goes all to pot, but I am betting (hoping?) that won't happen

Archived