• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential snow Friday/Saturday 3/20-21/2015

famartin

Thanks Iceman!!!....I think there will be a big difference over even 200 feet tomorrow in our area. It will be interesting to see what you see.....the good news like you said - I don't think there will be much shoveling for my wife as it should melt on contact during the PM and most of the accumulation will be on the non-paved surfaces

Paul

I'll walk up my hill where it's 682' at the top, house is at 352' and see what effect 330' has.
Not sure it will be too different, ground was frozen solid this morning at the house and should
be frozen again after tonight.

Pretty sure your driveway will be bare by the time you get back...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

local trout derby here canceled. ice to thick on lake. same thing happened last year.

Lakes (standing water) will freeze up your way. I do the creek and streams (French/Perkiomen etc creeks) which basically never freeze. I've been out early in the morning w/flurries and frost.

I think theyre too low for coastal monmouth tho. looks like a 2-5" thumping from everything ive seen. I guess theyre anticipating a quicker mix or change to rain there

That, plus the fact that Belmar will be 1-2F warmer at the surface than, say Somerville.  The surface temp, on its own is enough to make the difference between 0.6" of LE falling as snow accumulating 5" vs. 2", given greater melting rates.  

That, plus the fact that Belmar will be 1-2F warmer at the surface than, say Somerville.  The surface temp, on its own is enough to make the difference between 0.6" of LE falling as snow accumulating 5" vs. 2", given greater melting rates.  

yea,,I agree. many of the models are showing blm right around 32 during the bulk of the storm. if its a couple degrees warmer I could see maybe only a couple inches of slush. tough call. I just think 1-2" for blm is too low but we shall see. that ocean is very cold

yea,,I agree. many of the models are showing blm right around 32 during the bulk of the storm. if its a couple degrees warmer I could see maybe only a couple inches of slush. tough call. I just think 1-2" for blm is too low but we shall see. that ocean is very cold

Here's the raw guidance from the most recent GFS/NAM/EC at BLM:

GFS - 35F at 8AM, 36F at 2PM, 36F at 8PM

EC - 36F at 8AM, 35F at 2PM, 34F at 8PM

NAM - 33F at 8AM, 33F at 2PM, 33F at 8PM

Interesting to see the gradients across Mercer and Middlesex, with 2-3" in the SE sections of each county, then 3-4" in the central portions and 4-6" in the NW sections.  NWS also updated their discussion a few minutes ago, talking about it being a bit snowier/colder and even mentioning power outages for areas that receive 6" or more of heavy wet snow (possible in some spots, especially in Central Jersey).  Still don't expect much accumulations on major roads, during midday, but after about 4-5 pm as the sun gets lower in the sky and snowfall rates exceed melting rates, could see some slush highways, just in time for the Friday pm rush.  

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
930 AM ESTF SENT EARLIER AROUND 840 AM EDT AND AN SPS FOR THE
REGION BORDERING OUR SOUTHERN WXA (MD/DE) POSTING NOW WHERE WE
WILL SEE STRETCHES OF SLUSHY ACCUM THIS MORNING.

OTRW HAVE ADJUSTED TEMPS/DEWS THIS MORNING AND LINGERED SNOW LONGER
IN THE WX GRIDS AND TAKEN ALL MENTION OF RAIN OUT OF N CENTRAL NJ
THIS AFTN.

WXA CONTINUES AS POSTED THE LAST SEVERAL SHIFTS.

A SMALL CONCERN: IF WE DEVELOP A STRIPE OF 6 INCH WET SNOW SE PA
THROUGH CENTRAL NJ, WE WOULD SEE SOME POWER OUTAGES. I TEND TO USE
6 INCHES OF 32-33F SNOW AS MY DELIMITER FOR POWER PROBLEMS, DESPITE
ONLY 30-50 PCT OF THAT AMT ON PAVED SFCS`S.

I MAY ADD "HEAVY" SNOW RATES TO THE FCST FOR THE REGION NEAR 1-78
AND 30 MI EITHER SIDE IN THE 930 AM OR 1030 UPDATE.

THERE REMAINS SOME QUESTION AS TO HOW MUCH SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE
ON PAVED SURFACES. HOWEVER, DO EXPECT ACCUMULATION WITH THE HIGHER
SNOW RATES EXPECTED THIS AFTN.

Archived