joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24 Winter Storm Potential

Ollie Williams

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM sucks. 850s much warmer at 63. That track irks me so bad because it is perfect for this time of year off the coast of MYR and we get this.

*well I say that at 63 but at 66 and 69 the 850s come crashing and there's still some pretty decent precip in the area. Idk I guess we'll see what the rest of the model suite shows.

Btw, the NAM has some really good CAD siggy on there.  Might really help some for Friday *at least initially*  the MTNS should do really good here.  PLUS by Friday night its really cooling NC at 2m by 00z FRI.  Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.  1030mb high initially.  Could this produce?  TN has some snow by friday night over TN and early SAt am..For yall in NC, outside the mtns, the 850's look AWFUL!!, but the 2m temps are at or under 35 degrees for most of event.   angry.png angry.png

12Z NAM is rain for everyone except the mountains (as currently progged).  I seriously doubt the mountains will see 8-12 hours of freezing rain though.  Most likely to be start as snow through 7am, transition to rain most of the day, then perhaps back to a wintry mix after dark.  NAM is off its rocker with the ZR output (which almost never verifies in storms with these types of tracks - there's just nothing to lock in the cold air). The low is also not as wound up off the coast as GFS or Euro had (1002 mb vs. 986 mb on Euro).

Btw, the NAM has some really good CAD siggy on there. Might really help some for Friday *at least initially* the MTNS should do really good here. PLUS by Friday night its really cooling NC at 2m by 00z FRI. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. 1030mb high initially. Could this produce? TN has some snow by friday night over TN and early SAt am..For yall in NC, outside the mtns, the 850's look AWFUL!!, but the 2m temps are at or under 35 degrees for most of event. angry.pngangry.png

850's suck for the mtns. Nam is warmer this run.

850's suck for the mtns. Nam is warmer this run.

I agree, its warmer for them for sure.  outside of the MTNS, nobody should really expect much snow, or do yall?  I would say its not going to pretty if anyone is.  YES its colder at 2m, but thats it, and its too warm for ZR.  

Btw, the NAM has some really good CAD siggy on there.  Might really help some for Friday *at least initially*  the MTNS should do really good here.  PLUS by Friday night its really cooling NC at 2m by 00z FRI.  Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.  1030mb high initially.  Could this produce?  TN has some snow by friday night over TN and early SAt am..For yall in NC, outside the mtns, the 850's look AWFUL!!, but the 2m temps are at or under 35 degrees for most of event.   angry.png angry.png

I would think it's possible for some(outside mts) to see a snow/sleet mixture to start off. Dew points are in the 20s across north NC as the precip moves in (as you said some CAD). Surface temps in the mid/upper 30s.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=01&model_dd=21&model_init_hh=12&fhour=51&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

I agree, its warmer for them for sure. outside of the MTNS, nobody should really expect much snow, or do yall? I would say its not going to pretty if anyone is. YES its colder at 2m, but thats it, and its too warm for ZR.

Idk I honestly am hoping that being a little further north I can squeak out an inch or two Fri night and Sat morning

I would think it's possible for some(outside mts) to see a snow/sleet mixture to start off. Dew points are in the 20s across north NC as the precip moves in (as you said some CAD). Surface temps in the mid/upper 30s.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=01&model_dd=21&model_init_hh=12&fhour=51&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Definitely agree. We have a little bit of evaporation that should occur that means a few hours of snow or sleet.

12Z NAM is rain for everyone except the mountains (as currently progged). I seriously doubt the mountains will see 8-12 hours of freezing rain though. Most likely to be start as snow through 7am, transition to rain most of the day, then perhaps back to a wintry mix after dark. NAM is off its rocker with the ZR output (which almost never verifies in storms with these types of tracks - there's just nothing to lock in the cold air). The low is also not as wound up off the coast as GFS or Euro had (1002 mb vs. 986 mb on Euro).

I've never seen that happen in my lifetime and don't see any reason to believe it would this time....I seriously can't believe we are putting any weight on the NAM this far out. It was God awful with the icing event last week all the way up until now cast time. Worst case scenario imo is snow then zr but certainly not snow to rain. That just doesn't ever happen up here

I do not think weight is being put on the NAM. I assume most are just stating what is shown on the 12Z run.

I've never seen that happen in my lifetime and don't see any reason to believe it would this time....I seriously can't believe we are putting any weight on the NAM this far out. It was God awful with the icing event last week all the way up until now cast time. Worst case scenario imo is snow then zr but certainly not snow to rain. That just doesn't ever happen up here

Was just about to bring up the CAD on NAM Chris. I don't think it flies out that fast if the NAM is correct with the strength. Good thing to remember as well is that the NAM is usually out of it's range until about 48 hours from the storm. I'll be curious to see if the GFS has any changes WRT cooling. 

Definitely agree. We have a little bit of evaporation that should occur that means a few hours of snow or sleet.

I will clarify I guess...lol sorry!  I could see some there at the beginning, yes.  I actually could see some in and around GSP if qpf moves in quickly friday am and its as cold as modeled.  **HUGE IF***  will it stick, no, but some flakes flying...sure it possible.  

Was just about to bring up the CAD on NAM Chris. I don't think it flies out that fast if the NAM is correct with the strength. Good thing to remember as well is that the NAM is usually out of it's range until about 48 hours from the storm. I'll be curious to see if the GFS has any changes WRT cooling. 

I don't either, but it probably means just 35 and a cold ass rain...lol

NAM 4-km usually do decent with mountains and it's off to a good start with some snow on clown map by Friday afternoon.

Also, Brad just posted a video but I was hoping someone on here would tell me what he's saying since I'm deaf :axe: I would rather meteorologists type up a blog, but I can understand why it's easier to do a vlob...

NAM 4-km usually do decent with mountains and it's off to a good start with some snow on clown map by Friday afternoon.

Also, Brad just posted a video but I was hoping someone on here would tell me what he's saying since I'm deaf :axe: I would rather meteorologists type up a blog, but I can understand why it's easier to do a vlob...

He sees the possibility for a good amount of snow in the mtns but if cautious due to the temps. He seems to be putting a lot of weight into the SREF plumes which the mean is only 2" in Boone. Says there is still a lot of uncertainty though.

FWIW (not much), the WB clown goes 1.3" GSO, 1.7" INT, 1.8" HKY, 5.0" Wilkesboro, 5.9" Boone... looks like around 4" for AVL.  Not sure I buy those totals outside the mountains, though it was close, so I guess it's not impossible something happened in between the six-hour panels (doubtful, though).

Not really what I wanted to see.  Looks like the front-end potential is waning at this point.  Still hoping for a miracle. ;)

Archived