• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

I see a dryslot moving up from NJ but good returns on the backlash.  Wondering where the backlash snow goes, through NH or VT?  May make a difference of a couple more quick inches.

7pm   29.6F light to moderat snow   7.5" Heavier returns look to move in shortly from the south.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm up over 7" but a 10 year old boy with a toy snowmobile sees no reason an untouched stretch of snow needs to remain so. Anyway, I agree with what PF said in the main obs thread, a day or two ago nobody would have chosen the NW fringe as the place to be for this one. I even thought PF's 3-6/4-8 might not happen. Cod this be the start of a Seasonal trend?

I bet JSpin is well ahead...same with the Montpelier/Barre guys. We got lucky with that band being so far NW and this isn't wet snow. This is huge flake deform snow that piles quick.

Haha I'm just guessing...need JSpin to do his analysis. Maybe there's sneaky moisture in it but I doubt it.

Snowfall was at 6.8" as of 7:00 P.M. – I put the hourly data in a table below:

26NOV14I.jpg

Unfortunately I can't run a liquid analysis yet since we're out at the moment, but snowfall has generally been running in that inch per hour range – approaching 8" as of 8:00 P.M.

There's aren't any updates in terms of the local BTV NWS projected accumulations map, but Winter Storm Warnings have been extended a bit westward in Northern New York:

26NOV14H.jpg

Anyway, I agree with what PF said in the main obs thread, a day or two ago nobody would have chosen the NW fringe as the place to be for this one. I even thought PF's 3-6/4-8 might not happen. Could this be the start of a Seasonal trend?

Well, after three below average seasons in a row for the NVT mountains, there's bound to be something going in the other direction eventually.  I'd say it's more climatologically normal for NNE (especially the mountainous areas) to be getting notable snow in November vs. SNE, but as for the rest of the season, we'll just have to watch.  Getting something better than the ~50% of average snowfall we saw in December and January last season would be a great start.  Thanks to this current storm, November is coming in above average though, so that's a step in the right direction.

Well, after three below average seasons in a row for the NVT mountains, there's bound to be something going in the other direction eventually.  I'd say it's more climatologically normal for NNE (especially the mountainous areas) to be getting notable snow in November vs. SNE, but as for the rest of the season, we'll just have to watch.  Getting something better than the ~50% of average snowfall we saw in December and January last season would be a great start.  Thanks to this current storm, November is coming in above average though, so that's a step in the right direction.

What kind of snow is it up there?

I'm at about 1000' here in the berkshires just over the ct border, and this is heavy heavy stuff. Definition of snowball snow. Tree limbs coming down everywhere.

What kind of snow is it up there?

I'm at about 1000' here in the berkshires just over the ct border, and this is heavy heavy stuff. Definition of snowball snow. Tree limbs coming down everywhere.

At my elevation at 1100 feet it is actually blowing off the roof a bit since I have been around 29.6F for the past couple hours.  Many power outages in the area because the wind is light and most of the area around me is 600 feet lower and at dark the trees were really weighted down.  

Just look at those radar returns in E NY state.  Really curious to see if we get into that backlash area.

Brian, I have been measuring the snowfall wrong on this storm.  I didn't clear an area after 6 hours and just taking a ruler and placing it on flat earth.  That's why your snow total has been running higher than me, your doing it right by clearing every 6 hours.

We are doing quite well in Winooski for sure! I would say we are at least at 4 inches and perhaps closing in on 5 depending on which surface you measure on. I didn't have a ruler on hand as I was out with friends but I will have some good pics tomorrow I think. Nice snow growth and steady snow.

EDIT: given the NWS reports I am probably underestimating slightly. None the less it is nice to see!

As of 10:00 P.M. the storm total is 9.2" at our location.  On a seasonal note, this storm has now brought the November snowfall to 18.0", which already puts it ahead of last November's 17.7" and certainly brings it up among other decent Novembers for snowfall.  Next up in the hierarchy is November 2007 with 18.8", so we'll see if this storm will continue to bring November 2014 up in the ranks.

Updated hourly snowfall table has been added below:

26NOV14I.jpg

I just saw that the BTV NWS projected accumulations map has been updated – notably it pushes that 10-14" bracket farther north:

26NOV14J.jpg

We're right on the edge of that 10-14" on the map, and that's making reasonable sense as accumulation was at 10.5" last I checked.  I'll do another accumulation update at 11:00 P.M.

Archived