joxey
June 26th-July 1st Severe Potential

andyhb

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The storm that passed Morrison had very little in the

way of a legit circulation until after it reached Reinbeck,

not much of chance to warn that one ahead of time.

The first warning for Atchison was canceled after 4

minutes, not sure I've seen that before.  Now there

is another one, Kansas City airport radar showing in

and out couplets in the area.

Don't mean to take the focus away from tonight's ongoing event, but just glancing at the 00z NAM... paints a scary picture for central to eastern Iowa into IL and WI tomorrow.  While the NAM has been a fairly terrible model overall, it has actually done somewhat decent with the parameter space for the past few big events in the 24 hour range.  There is quite a large area of maxed out STP and Supercell Composite starting at 21z with very little caping.  If things can remain discrete and not messy... look out...

The NAM and GFS both look downright scary for tomorrow. Huge looping hodographs and an area of 80-100 knot shear (95 NAM, 100 GFS) coinciding with >2500 J/kg SBCAPE from eastern Iowa toward the Illinois/Wisconsin border. If the storm mode stays discrete long enough, that could produce some violent tornadoes.

Honestly surprised there isn't more discussion about tomorrow. The models are all in fairly close agreement that there could be a major outbreak. I fully believe we will see a high risk at some point tomorrow if the models are correct and depending on how the overnight convection behaves. Even, if the storm mode is linear, I think you would see a high risk for winds. The pressure gradient the models are spitting out is crazy. I would be worried it's convective feedback but the GFS NAM and ECMWF are all showing similar values. The parameters are simply maxed out over a very large area. We could see an historic late June event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly surprised there isn't more discussion about tomorrow. The models are all in fairly close agreement that there could be a major outbreak. I fully believe we will see a high risk at some point tomorrow if the models are correct and depending on how the overnight convection behaves. Even, if the storm mode is linear, I think you would see a high risk for winds. The pressure gradient the models are spitting out is crazy. I would be worried it's convective feedback but the GFS NAM and ECMWF are all showing similar values. The parameters are simply maxed out over a very large area. We could see an historic late June event.

Sent from my iPad

See the Lakes/OV thread for further discussion.

Sent from my iPad

I'm a rank amateur - I probably know just enough to get me in trouble - but looking at the NAM forecast sounding for 22Z tomorrow (from the 00Z run; select the 22hr option at the link) for my location (KALO) shows:

STP - 36.9 (!)

SRH (1 km) - 616.0

SRH (0-3 km) - 920.2

CAPE:  2857

LCL height:  175.6m

LFC height:  874.9m

...and a gigantic looping hodograph.

So...is that as insane as it looks to me?  Are there factors I'm not aware of that reduce the actual threat level, or is tomorrow afternoon potentially crazy here?

I'm a rank amateur - I probably know just enough to get me in trouble - but looking at the NAM forecast sounding for 22Z tomorrow (from the 00Z run; select the 22hr option at the link) for my location (KALO) shows:

STP - 36.9 (!)

SRH (1 km) - 616.0

SRH (0-3 km) - 920.2

CAPE:  2857

LCL height:  175.6m

LFC height:  874.9m

...and a gigantic looping hodograph.

So...is that as insane as it looks to me?  Are there factors I'm not aware of that reduce the actual threat level, or is tomorrow afternoon potentially crazy here?

The SPC noted in their discussion that came out at 2am this morning that the GFS and NAM looked to be suffering from convective feedback, so those parameters are likely somewhat overdone. Still, the potential for significant and long-lived tornadoes looks to exist across southern Iowa this afternoon.

In fact...getting started early farther west this morning:

NEC179-301330-

/O.CON.KOAX.TO.W.0027.000000T0000Z-140630T1330Z/

WAYNE NE-

814 AM CDT MON JUN 30 2014

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 830 AM CDT FOR WESTERN

WAYNE COUNTY...

AT 812 AM CDT...A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO WAS LOCATED

NEAR WINSIDE...OR 13 MILES NORTHEAST OF NORFOLK...MOVING EAST AT 45

MPH.

THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION. LAW ENFORECMENT REPORTED A FUNNEL

CLOUD 6 NW OF HOSKINS.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT

SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE

TO ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR.  TREE DAMAGE IS

LIKELY.

THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...

CARROLL AROUND 815 AM CDT.

WINSIDE AROUND 820 AM CDT.

WAYNE AROUND 830 AM CDT.

OTHER LOCATIONS IMPACTED BY THIS TORNADIC THUNDERSTORM INCLUDE 8

MILES SOUTH OF WAYNE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TO REPEAT...A LARGE...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND POTENTIALLY DEADLY

TORNADO IS DEVELOPING. TO PROTECT YOUR LIFE...TAKE COVER NOW! MOVE TO

A BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDY

BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...A VEHICLE OR

OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT

YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

&&

Z9Fm4CW.png

Maybe it's just me but I'm a bit surprised at the extreme wording used when there is "only" a confirmed funnel. Granted, things can change quickly but just the combo of words without anything verified yet.

With a 15% hatched area for tornadoes across central and southern Iowa now, the action is going to get interesting around me today.

Edit: Pilger is dodging the bullet today as that tornadic storm turned a bit more southeast.

Archived