• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
North Indian Ocean Cyclone season 2013

thank you, while India is obviously well-populated almost everywhere, Phailin appears to be heading toward the least well-populated portion of the Bay of Bengal coast, which hopefully will result in a verification of the best possible scenario (in relation to the other possible scenarios) come tomorrow evening local India time...or am I being naive?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thank you, while India is obviously well-populated almost everywhere, Phailin appears to be heading toward the least well-populated portion of the Bay of Bengal coast, which hopefully will result in a verification of the best possible scenario (in relation to the other possible scenarios) come tomorrow evening local India time...or am I being naive?

Thing about anywhere in India is "least populated" is a relative term.

The JTWC track has the eye going directly over the city of Brahmapur, 6 miles inland, population 350,000.

They mention is undergoing one now so that will be complete with max strength at LF it appears, damn. Ground zero ,2 million people at 16 feet elevation.

Visakhapathnam is well south of the forecasted track...but there has been a big wobble to the left...that increases the probabilities of this city to get very close to the eye...that would be the worst case scenario, I guess.

Srikakulam 3M folks

india's dept of meteorology is only predicting a storm surge of 3m (~9ft).  This thing will bring surge double that.

So the IMD webpage is a epic collection of fail (you have to open a PDF  to get a forecast? For a country of over 1 billion people?)

http://www.imd.gov.in/section/nhac/dynamic/rsmc.pdf

So this is the 12Z advisory....some lowlights.

In fairness to the IMD, there are some articles (on Reuters) contrasting the IMD forecast with JTWC, but they are comparing the JTWC gust forecast to the IMD sustained wind forecast; IMD uses 10-minute sustained winds while NHC and the JTWC uses 1-minute winds; this exaggerates the differences in the forecast beyond the big difference that is already there.   Typically a 10-min wind is about 88% of a 1 min wind.

Interestingly they have a discussion of the MJO phase further down in the advisory.

ACCORDING TO SATELLITE IMAGERIES, THE INTENSITY OF THE SYSTEM IS T 6.0. INTENSE TO VERY INTENSE CONVECTION IS SEEN OVER EAST CENTRAL BAY AND ADJOINING NORTH ANDAMAN SEA ISLANDS AND AREA BETWEEN LAT 14.0

0N TO 17.00N AND LONG 86.00E TO 89.00E. THE LOWEST CLOUD TOP TEMPERATURE (CTT) IS ABOUT -760C. THE SYSTEM IS EYE PATTERN. EYE IS CIRCULAR WITH DIAMETER OF ABOUT 15 KM. EYE TEMP MINUS 6 DEG C. CLOUD FEATURES SUGGESTS NO FURTHER INTENSIFICATION OF THE SYSTEM(.)

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED SURFACE WIND SPEED IS ESTIMATED TO BE ABOUT 105 KNOTS GUSTING TO 120 KNOTS AROUND THE SYSTEM CENTRE. THE STATE OF THE SEA IS PHENOMENAL AROUND THE SYSTEM CENTRE. THE ESTIMATED CENTRAL PRESSURE IS ABOUT 940 HPA.

11500Z POSITION NEAR 17.0N 87.4E.
TROPICAL CYCLONE 02B (PHAILIN), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 356 NM
SOUTH OF KOLKATA, INDIA, HAS TRACKED NORTHWESTWARD AT 09
KNOTS OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. ANIMATED MULTISPECTRAL SATELLITE
IMAGERY (MSI) DEPICTS AN INTENSE CYCLONE WITH A SLIGHTLY-
CONSOLIDATED SYMMETRIC EYE, APPROXIMATELY 9 NM IN DIAMETER, WITH
MULTIPLE DEEP CONVECTIVE BANDS SPIRALING OUT FROM THE CIRCULATION
CENTER. THE 11/0000Z-11/1345Z MORPHED INTEGRATED MICROWAVE IMAGERY
AT CIMSS (MIMIC) ANIMATION PRODUCT CLEARLY SHOWS THE SYSTEM
UNDERWENT AN EYEWALL REPLACEMENT CYCLE (ERC) OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS.
THE NEWLY FORMED EYEWALL HAS CONSOLIDATED AND ALLOWED THE SYSTEM TO
SLIGHTLY INTENSIFY. THE INITIAL POSITION IS BASED ON THE EYE FEATURE
IN THE MSI ANIMATION WITH HIGH CONFIDENCE. THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS
BASED ON THE PGTW DVORAK INTENSITY ESTIMATE OF 140 KNOTS. UPPER
LEVEL ANALYSIS INDICATES THE SYSTEM IS APPROXIMATELY FOUR DEGREES
SOUTH OF THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE (STR) AXIS IN AN AREA OF LOW (05 TO
10 KNOT) VERTICAL WIND SHEAR AND EXCELLENT RADIAL OUTFLOW. TC
PHAILIN IS TRACKING ALONG THE SOUTHWESTERN PERIPHERY OF THE DEEP-
LAYERED STR TO THE NORTHEAST. TC 02B IS FORECAST TO CONTINUE
TRACKING NORTHWEST ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE BAY OF BENGAL AND
MAKE LANDFALL NORTHEAST OF VISAKHAPATNAM, INDIA, JUST AFTER TAU 24.
THE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO SLIGHTLY INTENSIFY TO A PEAK OF 145 KNOTS
OVER THE NEXT 12 HOURS AS FAVORABLE CONDITIONS PERSIST. AFTER
LANDFALL, TC PHAILIN WILL RAPIDLY ERODE AS IT TRACKS ACROSS THE
RUGGED TERRAIN OF NORTHERN INDIA, DISSIPATING BY TAU 72. THE
AVAILABLE NUMERIC TRACK GUIDANCE IS IN TIGHT AGREEMENT, LENDING HIGH
CONFIDENCE TO THE JTWC TRACK FORECAST THAT IS LAID CLOSE TO MULTI-
MODEL CONSENSUS. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT 111200Z IS 56
FEET.

Sounds like that area is still very well populated, Jen Carfagno from TWC just posted the population of the state of Orissa is 40 million, not good at all.

Sounds like that area is still very well populated, Jen Carfagno from TWC just posted the population of the state of Orissa is 40 million, not good at all.

I think it will hit Andhra Pradesh, very close to the border with Orissa though. Andhra Pradesh population is over 84mil ... considering that adding up their populations they have a greater population than all Mexico, this won't be pretty.

ADT Estimates from here 

Final T is only at 7.2 and the Raw is up to 7.6.

The estimated (key word) pressure should continue to drop. 

I know... I'm just astounded.  My gut dropped.   I cannot believe the explosive intensity, and how it is continuing to strengthen.  I really hoped the EWRC was going to stave off some of this.

I just have no words.

Thank you for the information.

I know... I'm just astounded.  My gut dropped.   I cannot believe the explosive intensity, and how it is continuing to strengthen.  I really hoped the EWRC was going to stave off some of this.

I just have no words.

Thank you for the information.

sadly the surge is already past the point of no return.  

I can only hope the Indian government has learned from the past (ie 1999) and can efficiently and effectively keep the citizens safe.  I fear this not the case.

Despite the idiocy from the head of the IMD cyclone division upthread (I wonder if they are deliberately keeping the current and forecast intensities down to avoid embarassing him by making it a "super-cyclone") from perusing the Indian media, it appears that the local governments in the Indian states that are going to be hit have been pursuing full-scale evacuations for quite some time.

Archived