• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 8th-9th Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

4/6/82 I think still matches the 500mb pattern right but this time the surface low re-develops way more south as opposed to just off NJ or the Delmarva.

This event was aided by volcanic ash from El Chicon Volcano which erupted a few times before event.   Cooled atmospheric and provided particulate material increase.    Sun much higher of course too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone feel Upton with their 4PM package will extend Blizzard watches westard into western LI/NYC/NE NJ?

No. This storm is tracking rather far east of what would normally bring blizzard conditions to the area. We're relying on a strong CCB well removed from the central circulation of the storm thanks to the diving northern shortwave, so while the storm will be sitting just over or southeast of the benchmark, we will be sitting under a wide band of heavy snow and less severe northerly winds. I'd say blowing snow is possible, but probably not blizzard conditions west of suffolk county.

No. This storm is tracking rather far east of what would normally bring blizzard conditions to the area. We're relying on a strong CCB well removed from the central circulation of the storm thanks to the diving northern shortwave, so while the storm will be sitting just over or southeast of the benchmark, we will be sitting under a wide band of heavy snow and northerly winds. I'd say blowing snow is possible, but probably not blizzard conditions west of suffolk county.

this is the track we get our blizzards....storm traveling over the benchmark. Yes storms that tuck in a bit inside the bm also give us some of our blizzards I think you're making an incorrect assumption

I remember that one, that was the closest near miss I had ever seen up to that time, 40 mile shift and we'd have been slammed there was heavy snow 20 miles SE of LI.

I can remember being really annoyed that we missed out on that one. Just goes to show the heavy snow potential

and big QPF with these phase bombs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Juan

2-4" everywhere west of the city, 6-12"+ from NYC on east. oof, thats a sharp cutoff

http://ch

2-4" everywhere west of the city, 6-12"+ from NYC on east. oof, thats a sharp cutoff

http://cheget.msrc.sunysb.edu/mm5rt_data/2013020712/images_d1/pcp3.42.0000.gif

WRONG...ive never seen the MM5 be so robust

pcp24.48.0000.gif

eget.msrc.sunysb.edu/mm5rt_data/2013020712/images_d1/pcp3.42.0000.gif

Archived