joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy Phaser Banter Thread

Chaser25973

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2012/10/gov_christie_not_yet_convinced_monmouth_county_lives_are_at_risk_due_to_hurricane_sandy.html

I'm a little irritated by this. Sandy Hook is evacuated and we sit literally on the bay 10 miles away. He doesn't feel there is any risk to this area. The neighbors are getting their rowboats ready. I'm getting out of here so I'm not trapped in the house with 3 kids under 5. There are people waiting for his evacuation orders and if they don't come, there's going to be a lot of people needing rescues.

Tim, that's surprising, they're evacuating Holmdel? They've got elevation over there. Unless they're at the NE corner of Holmdel near Keansburg.

NJStorms - I'm guessing you're pretty much at sea level. Given the current tracks, I'd probably be concerned about flooding in your area. If you know anyone inland in Monmouth I'd recommend staying there. My grandmother lives in Ocean Twp, and we're contemplating telling her to go to my parents place in Colts Neck.

We are going inland to Old Bridge at my mother's house.

There is no doubt we are flooding. The sheer volume of water is the question. The longtime neighbors said the 92 storm had 3 feet of water in our streets. Irene was 2 feet. We are surrounded by water and some roads are even closed during high tide since they are water covered. I can't believe a voluntary evacuation hasn't been issued just to get the point across to residents.

Holmdel must be a local evacuation decision, since it's more north than me.

Tim, that's surprising, they're evacuating Holmdel? They've got elevation over there. Unless they're at the NE corner of Holmdel near Keansburg.

NJStorms - I'm guessing you're pretty much at sea level. Given the current tracks, I'd probably be concerned about flooding in your area. If you know anyone inland in Monmouth I'd recommend staying there. My grandmother lives in Ocean Twp, and we're contemplating telling her to go to my parents place in Colts Neck.

Yeah i was shock myself...i believe its for lack of emergency resources and potential trees falling on homes...i heard the message myself..."leave if u can"....they live at one of the highest parts by the park.

I feel another issue being overlook is the leaves on the ground...a ton in Holmdel...going to clog storm drains.

Yeah i was shock myself...i believe its for lack of emergency resources and potential trees falling on homes...i heard the message myself..."leave if u can"....they live at one of the highest parts by the park.

I feel another issue being overlook is the leaves on the ground...a ton in Holmdel...going to clog storm drains.

Agreed. You guys are at peak there I assume. When I left last Sunday for PA it was about 75% changed in Colts Neck. Around here in the PHL area we're definitely peak. Most leaves should be stripped of trees during the storm.

I think there is some good news for folks living inland away from the ocean - even though winds are forecast to be 40 - 60 mph with gusts to 70 or so at the height of the storm and the possibility of several inches of rain - the ground is not saturated like it was prior to Irenes arrival. Also many of the weaker trees came down during Irene and the October snowstorm last year. In addition power companies have been working on cutting down tree limbs near power lines and improving their lines - transformers etc.etc. to weather these hurricanes better..............

Archived