e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC/PHL Jan 25-28 Potential Threat Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There probably won't be a sharp precip cutoff with this storm. You're in a golden spot right now.

Since I've lived in the Lehigh Valley (6 years), I cannot recall a large event where the LV got hammered with snow where NYC/N NJ did not. I recall several events where the Poconos and NW NJ got hammered with snow and the LV has the dreaded sleet/freezing rain scenario. I am sure you can bring up the Superstorm 1993 event where I imagine the LV got much more than NYC and surrounding burbs.

hr 84 nam is pretty close to the 12z euro depiction at hr 96. At h5 the nam is probably worse.

Whats more important is the stark differences in the NAM from earlier runs, expect that progression to continue. I have a feeling the EURO will be better tonight, unless of course it continues to hang the energy back, which I find very unlikely since most models are moving away from that idea, and that alone is within the 72 hr range.

Whats more important is the stark differences in the NAM from earlier runs, expect that progression to continue. I have a feeling the EURO will be better tonight, unless of course it continues to hang the energy back, which I find very unlikely since most models are moving away from that idea, and that alone is within the 72 hr range.

what models? only one out so far is the nam? ukie,ggem, nogaps,euro are all different. Can they change tonight yes. But as of now its the gfs its ens and ggem ens vs everything else.

Oh i agree with this...

One has a snow event already occurring and the other is well south....

00z NAM is not even close to the GFS....

As you said it would be more in line with the ECM....

The 0z NAM has made large strides towards the GFS and away from the EURO depiction. It no longer lags energy back, it is faster, and confluence/blocking is strong. Compare it alone to the 12z run and you will notice the huge differences.

Since I've lived in the Lehigh Valley (6 years), I cannot recall a large event where the LV got hammered with snow where NYC/N NJ did not. I recall several events where the Poconos and NW NJ got hammered with snow and the LV has the dreaded sleet/freezing rain scenario. I am sure you can bring up the Superstorm 1993 event where I imagine the LV got much more than NYC and surrounding burbs.

You missed all the great ones. 1983, 1987, 1993, 1994 (all winter), 1996, 2003. Some incredible storms and winters. Hopefully, you'll get to see a west of 95 fall line special.

Oh i agree with this...

One has a snow event already occurring and the other is well south....

00z NAM is not even close to the GFS....

As you said it would be more in line with the ECM....

suprised you didnt mention the nogaps :lmao:

im on alot of weather forums and there is way too many people declaring victory for the euro/ggem camp

things will change

what models? only one out so far is the nam? ukie,ggem, nogaps,euro are all different. Can they change tonight yes. But as of now its the gfs its ens and ggem ens vs everything else.

The SREF which was posted earlier is also different, it is faster with the progression and doesn't hold the energy back. The NAM is also doing that now. You can take the NAM literally for what it shows right now and say, it might be a close call for I-95 or you can say, the NAM is making huge changes each run, and what might it look like in a few more runs.

ala 12z EURO at PHL 120-132

2.3" in 18 hours isn't that intense?

you're confusing qpf with storm strength. The greatest rain storms I ever saw were washed out former TC's that produced bodacious rains but had no intensity per se. They set up a great barclinic zone and dumped precip. Heavy rain/snow is not a description of intense. Large pressure drops and or convective weather is intense.

Just want to make sure this is right. When 850s are below frz but surface is about its sleet and when 850s are above and surface is below its frz rain right?

for sleet the warm layer can be anywhere- it just has to be shallow and there has to be ample time for the precip to freeze.

freezing rain is when the most of the column is over 32 but the surface is under 32

Archived