• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC/PHL Jan 25-28 Potential Threat Part 2

am19psu

It's not quite that simple... typically, you would look at the soundings and determine the depth/thickness of the cold or warm layer. If the cold layer is not all that deep, it may not have enough time to refreeze before hitting the ground. Likewise, if the warm layer is shallow, you end up with sleet/snow mix or, i believe, graupel. That's in very basic language though... hope that helps.

Something I've noted very well in 2007 is if you see thicknesses well above 540 and 850s well below zero, that's a good sleet signal.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We really could use a trend toward better blocking. It doesn't really matter to me what any model shows. The synoptic upper air pattern says that if the energy is consolidated, the ridge in the west argues for major amplification. Without blocking or a well timed 50-50, this storm is destined to come up along the coastal plain or inland.

Ice storm? We're getting a lot of signals in the teleconnections lately that are reminiscent of 1994.

We really could use a trend toward better blocking. It doesn't really matter to me what any model shows. The synoptic upper air pattern says that if the energy is consolidated, the ridge in the west argues for major amplification. Without blocking or a well timed 50-50, this storm is destined to come up along the coastal plain or inland.

The NAM is already stronger with the aforementioned feature and faster with the energy, doesn't hold it back. SREF was posted earlier, also same thing.

our best hope is that the energy is faster and runs into the 50/50 low sooner

notice how much slower the euro is compared to the gfs

I've been saying this all along, we want the storm to move in sooner, so that the 50/50 is there and the high is further West. Normally, in a La Nina, faster works.

This should at least help in giving us a lot of snow before any changeover.

I'm not sure this has much potential as a big snow then rain event...my feeling is its 1-2 inches of snow and then over to rain or its entirely snow....either system arrives early and doesn't amplify much or it arrives late and goes insane.

I'm not sure this has much potential as a big snow then rain event...my feeling is its 1-2 inches of snow and then over to rain or its entirely snow....either system arrives early and doesn't amplify much or it arrives late and goes insane.

That's not really what the 12Z Euro showed, but OK.

Agreed either the blocking will retreat and the high pressure will move out resulting in predominantly rain, or these features will remain persistent and result in a snowstorm. I think signs are increasing and signals are becoming stronger that support a snowier solution. I watch each and everyone run come out, and they all seem to be hanging less energy back, keeping the blocking stronger, and allowing the high to remain persistent. Weird to say, but at H5 models seem to be following the lead of the GFS.

I'd prefer to see a little less amplified at this stage (hr78), but I'm liking the downstream H5 depiction here:

nam_500_078m.gif

Good news is that it is trending much better at 500mb, just compare it to 12z and you can see huge changes.

nam_500_084m.gif

And if you live in the big cities, the next frames (if they existed) probably wouldn't be too pretty as the trough is tending quickly toward neutral tilt, the 50/50 is weakening (no longer a closed contour), but the surface is actually looking cooperative. Maybe it wants to do something else?

The bottom line though is this is the always overamplified NAM at 84 hours....its good to not already see the trough being negative at this point.

nam_500_084m.gif

And if you live in the big cities, the next frames (if they existed) probably wouldn't be too pretty as the trough is tending quickly toward neutral tilt, the 50/50 is weakening (no longer a closed contour), but the surface is actually looking cooperative. Maybe it wants to do something else?

Everyone needs to relax with extrapolating these models. The reality is the NAM has made large strides in the direction of the GFS, it is much faster and does not hang the energy back, simply compare it to earlier runs. The trough is still positively tilted and not sharp yet with an E-W flow. Nothing is cutting into that confluence. Let's take it for what its worth, its the NAM at 84hrs, but still models seem to be trending towards a faster solution, and not holding the energy back. Also blocking and confluence seems to be improving over time on each run which is a positive.

Storms don't manufacture cold air... :)

The NWS thinks it does and can in this case

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

615 AM EST FRI JAN 21 2011

LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AS OF 310 AM FRIDAY...

DIFFERENCES IN THE MODEL DETAILS FOR THE POTENTIAL BIG STORM (SNOW

OR RAIN OR BOTH) EARLY TO MID NEXT WEEK FOR OUR REGION REMAIN. THE

OVERALL UPPER AIR PATTERN IS HANDLED SIMILARLY WITH A MEAN TROUGH

THAT WILL MOVE SLOWLY FROM THE MIDWEST TOWARD THE APPALACHIANS THIS

PERIOD. VERY INTERESTINGLY... THE OPERATIONAL ECMWF... GFS... AND

GEM ALL PHASE THE SOUTHERN AND NORTHERN JET ENERGY WITH A STRONG H5

CUT OFF LOW DEVELOPING OVER THE MID SOUTH OR TENNESSEE VALLEY TUE...

THEN SWINGING NE OVER NC WEDNESDAY WITH THE H5 CUT OFF FORECAST LOW

OF BETWEEN 5250 AND 5300 DM. IN FACT... IF THE OPERATIONAL MODELS

VERIFY WITH THE CURRENT STRENGTH/TRACKS... CENTRAL NC WOULD LIKELY

SEE HEAVY RAIN IN THE EAST... HEAVY SNOW IN THE FAR NW... AND

MULTIPLE CHANGEOVER P-TYPE IN THE PIEDMONT... WITH QPF OF 1 TO 2 OR

MORE INCHES LIQUID EQUIVALENT. THESE RUNS ARE REMARKABLY SIMILAR IN

COMPARISON WITH EACH OTHER - QUITE AMAZING GIVEN THIS IS STILL

FORECAST 4-6 DAYS OUT GIVEN THE AMOUNT OF PHASING AND COMPLEXITY OF

THE UPPER AIR FLOW PATTERN. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE CAN NOT SIMPLY

NOT FULLY ACCEPT THESE SOLUTIONS - YET.

THE MODEL ENSEMBLE TRENDS HAVE BEEN COMING A BIT WESTWARD IN TIME

WITH THE SURFACE LOW TRACK... WITH THE 12Z (OLD ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE)

OFF THE SC/NC COAST... THE LATEST 00Z RUNS (SOME NOW INLAND)...

SUPPORTING THE LATEST OPERATIONAL RUNS OF A MORE INLAND AND DEEP

SURFACE LOW TRACK. A SLOWING TREND / MORE INLAND LOW TRACK HAS BEEN

NOTED AS WELL GIVEN THE AMOUNT OF CUTTING OFF AND DEEPENING OF THE

MID/UPPER LOW OVER THE TN VALLEY INTO THE APPALACHIANS.

THIS SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE A BIG WINTER STORM FOR PARTS OF

THE REGION (FAVORED CLIMO)... RANGING TO A BIG RAIN PRODUCER FOR

OTHERS. FOR NOW... WE WILL MAINTAIN A CONSERVATIVE APPROACH OUT 4-5

DAYS AND CONTINUE TO FAVOR CLIMATOLOGY P-TYPES FOR SIMILAR WINTER

STORM TRACKS/STRENGTHS.

GIVEN MODEL TRENDS... WE MAY HAVE TO SLOW DOWN THE CHANCE OF PRECIP

BEGINNING UNTIL TUESDAY - THEN POTENTIALLY HAVE IT LAST INTO WED

NIGHT. THERE WOULD BE MORE RAIN IN THE CENTRAL AND EAST AND

POTENTIALLY VERY HEAVY SNOW IN THE NW. HOWEVER... CAUTION IS ADVISED

AS MOST ENSEMBLE MODEL SOLUTIONS KEEP THE TRACK OF THE STORM ALONG

THE COAST OR JUST OFFSHORE... WHILE TRENDS HAVE BEEN COMING WEST

WITH TIME. RIGHT NOW... THIS WOULD STILL BRING THE WINTER STORM

THREAT EASTWARD INTO A GOOD PORTION OF CENTRAL NC... IF TRENDS

CONTINUE... WE MAY END UP WITH A STORM TRACK ENOUGH INLAND THAT

CENTRAL AND EASTERN ZONES GET ALL RAIN.

ALSO TO BE CONSIDERED... THE PARENT HIGH BEFORE THE STORM IS

FORECAST TO BE IN POSITION TO DELIVER VERY COLD DRY AIR INTO OUR

REGION BEFORE THE STORM DEVELOPS. EVEN IF HYBRID OR NON CLASSICAL

DAMMING DEVELOPS (WHICH APPEARS LIKELY)... WITH A PROGRESSIVE

SURFACE HIGH - THERE WOULD STILL BE THAT INITIAL COLD AIR TO DEAL

WITH. THEN... THE STORM ITSELF WILL GENERATE ITS OWN COLD AIR

(EXAMPLES INCLUDE THE MARCH 93 SUPERSTORM ON THE EXTREME AND THE

CHRISTMAS 2010 SNOW).

THIS STORM HAS A LOT OF POTENTIAL FOR OUR REGION INCLUDING HELPING

SUPPRESS WORSENING DROUGHT CONDITIONS...AND BRINGING WINTER STORM

CONDITIONS TO PARTS OF THE PIEDMONT"

The bottom line though is this is the always overamplified NAM at 84 hours....its good to not already see the trough being negative at this point.

EXACTLY! And it has improved vastly from earlier runs...trending, and thats all I can ask for right now

nam_500_084m.gif

Trough not going neg before Miss River

Archived