Newest Member
    12bet1 net
PHL JAN 20/21 Obs and Discussion Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flurries here, too. Temp 31.1.

My unofficial, non-Ray approved snow measuring method shows about 3.5 here. Not bad. For days this looked like a 2"-4" event. Things didn't look promising around midnight last night; glad to see the storm got it's act together at the last moment.

long time....no post :pimp:

Looks like the Royersford/Collegeville/Spring Mount members all had similar totals.

I was on vacation and out of the area between Saturday afternoon 1/8 and Tuesday 1/18. Completely missed the storm on 1/11-1/12 and used your accumulation numbers for my sig (since our numbers are usually within a couple tenths of an inch). I'll have a trip report posted in OT soon, featuring my drive through the ice storm around the DC area during the early morning hours of 1/18.:arrowhead:

After my 4:30 am obs, I slept 2 hours, shoveled, measured, went to work, had meetings and now I finally have a minute to post my final snowfall: ended up with 3.5" of snow as of 7:00 am, with the snow having been over for a bit, as far as I could tell. Really pretty snowfall, but fairly wet/heavy - probably as tough shoveling that as the 8" we got last week, lol. Noticed a Metuchen report of 2.6" - I know there's someone who's supposedly very reliable (think he's a met) who supplies the Metuchen report, but I can't see how he only had 2.6". It's a small town and we're usually very close in our reports and I could see a 1/4" difference, but not 0.9" difference. I don't think I was hallucinating - I wonder if it's a typo? Plus there's a report from Fords, which is about 1.5 miles from my house, of 3.5". Could be because his report was 6:10 am and the snow wasn't quite over (Fords report was 7:25 am).

I was wondering about that too, I thought it was your report. I measured 3.8 and saw no other reports under 3" in the vicinity.

After my 4:30 am obs, I slept 2 hours, shoveled, measured, went to work, had meetings and now I finally have a minute to post my final snowfall: ended up with 3.5" of snow as of 7:00 am, with the snow having been over for a bit, as far as I could tell. Really pretty snowfall, but fairly wet/heavy - probably as tough shoveling that as the 8" we got last week, lol. Noticed a Metuchen report of 2.6" - I know there's someone who's supposedly very reliable (think he's a met) who supplies the Metuchen report, but I can't see how he only had 2.6". It's a small town and we're usually very close in our reports and I could see a 1/4" difference, but not 0.9" difference. I don't think I was hallucinating - I wonder if it's a typo? Plus there's a report from Fords, which is about 1.5 miles from my house, of 3.5". Could be because his report was 6:10 am and the snow wasn't quite over (Fords report was 7:25 am).

I thought 2.5" max around here and in Trenton. Shocked Trenton got almost 4" while Philly saw less than an inch. I obviously don't got the snow climo of Trenton down to well. I was associating it more with Philly, then say the northwest suburbs of PHL.

Depends on where in Trenton you are, judging by spotter and coop reports the city itself may well have had less than 3". The airport, and my parents, are north of the city in Ewing, so they tend to run a tad colder and snowier than the city itself (as opposed to PHL which probably runs a tad warmer and less snowy than most of Philly since its on the far south side).

Thanks, but the non-snow precipitation ended up coming much farther inland than what we had. At least the forecast was trended in the right direction yesterday afternoon. If it was colder and rain did not occur for a time, more snow would have been able to stick at PHL.

By the way, 1.6 inches of snow in Delran Township, NJ.

You definitely went in the right direction... I call that a win :thumbsup: Its always hard to cancel something that's already out and hasn't even had a chance to bust yet, but you did it and did it correctly. Good call!

Depends on where in Trenton you are, judging by spotter and coop reports the city itself may well have had less than 3". The airport, and my parents, are north of the city in Ewing, so they tend to run a tad colder and snowier than the city itself (as opposed to PHL which probably runs a tad warmer and less snowy than most of Philly since its on the far south side).

That makes sense.

Archived