• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
PHL Jan 11-12 Miller B Thread

am19psu

I think the NAM is lending to some uncertainty on how far west the coastal low will track. If the NAM was in a little more agreement w/ the heavy hitter models, they would feel more confident about posting advisories and knowing they would not reach warning level. ATTM these accum number seem to be right on that advisory, watch, warning line, north and west that is....

D

Well lets compare the 12 Z ECM means to the 18 Z NAM

NAM same time

I would pretty much say we have a match.....

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well lets compare the 12 Z ECM means to the 18 Z NAM

NAM same time

I would pretty much say we have a match.....

Would the precip being more spread out on the NAM have something to do with the coastal low not being as tightly wound up (less precip gradient) and 50 miles west? That is what it looks like on these maps.

D

They also did away with the "Heavy Snow Warning" which I feel is a huge mistake, So whether its 8" or 20" its still a winter storm warning

The Heavy Snow Warning had nothing to do with super heavy snowfall. If the storm just had warning criteria snow with no other precipitation types or impacts such as wind (blowing/drifting), then the heavy snow warning was used. If there were mixed precipitation types or impacts, then a Winter Storm Warning was used. Frankly I liked this much more than the WSW for all storms (except Blizzard) approach.

its pretty close, but the nam is still prob 50 miles further east, but the euro does match up the best with the nam

FWIW. In monitoring the RUC's various runs thru the afternoon, there does seem to be a NAM-like effort (trend?) to raise heights more along the coast ahead of the 500mb low, and subtly driving the energy from the northern stream a hair further south.

FWIW. In monitoring the RUC's various runs thru the afternoon, there does seem to be a NAM-like effort (trend?) to raise heights more along the coast ahead of the 500mb low, and subtly driving the energy from the northern stream a hair further south.

Sorry if a stupid question, but that means more southerly development of the coastal?

Regarding the winter storm watches remaining in parts of the area (instead of upgrading to a warning or being changed to an advisory) is because of the uncertainty the farther west one goes. The watch means there is the potential for warning criteria snow to be met, however confidence is not high at this time to upgrade to a warning. Since there is potential and still uncertainty, the watch is left in effect and not changed to a warning or an advisory. I think Tony did a pretty good job outlining the reasoning in his AFD this afternoon.

Regarding the winter storm watches remaining in parts of the area (instead of upgrading to a warning or being changed to an advisory) is because of the uncertainty the farther west one goes. The watch means there is the potential for warning criteria snow to be met, however confidence is not high at this time to upgrade to a warning. Since there is potential and still uncertainty, the watch is left in effect and not changed to a warning or an advisory. I think Tony did a pretty good job outlining the reasoning in his AFD this afternoon.

Thanks for chiming in. Its appreciated.

He certainly did.....

snapback.pngBoreal, on 10 January 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

Sorry if a stupid question, but that means more southerly development of the coastal?

At the risk of offending anyone who knows what they are talking about, my understanding is that this can allow for a solution where the surface low pressure tracks closer to the coast (or where the track of the slp can move along a path that it is further north or NNE, than NE).

Archived