• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JB calling for a major warm up last week in January in his blog today

Ji

You've got to laugh. Imagine if the Euro verifies? First JB sad winter was over for areas south of I-80 come mid December. Then it was around New Years. Then it changed and the coldest january in the US since 1985 was at hand. Then massive warm up late January. Now this possible cold outbreak. February 1934, here we come! :devilsmiley:

Absolutely, it is totally crazy!

You know, I can completely understand changing one's thinking on how January will be compared to what one might have called for early in the season, based upon new information. In fact, several on this board have done the same (originally thinking a warmer January, then indications pointed to colder), and I totally respect that. Even if we have a (relatively) warm period later this month, I can certainly see January ending up below normal, or at least colder than originally thought. If the major cold which the models have at times depicted verifies, I can see this being one of the coldest in awhile.

So that's fair enough and reasonable.

However, what JB is doing is completely unreasonable and downright not helpful, and I totally agree with what you're saying here! Going from "winter is over soon after Christmas" to "coldest January in a quarter century!" to "big snowstorm all along I-95!" (a week out) to "big warmup for the last part of January" is pretty outrageous in my book.

Maybe he's throwing everything possible out there, so that at the end of January he can say that one of his forecasts was correct!

JB is a complete failure this year. You would thing he would improve as he ages and gets more experience. JB does really well in El Ninos with STJ where its hard to screw up.

He's obsessed with proving an analogy between the hurricane season and the following winters. He said that's how his dad did it and he's out to prove it works....(probably wants to write a book or something). The only thing he was right about, (in a general sense), was a cold December....but hell everyone was saying that*. He kept pointing to the cold December matching up perfectly with his hurricane analog.

....as far as I'm concerned, he's done a fantastic job of proving there is no significant analogy between hurricane seasons and the following winter.

Edit: *except DT

He's obsessed with proving an analogy between the hurricane season and the following winters. He said that's how his dad did it and he's out to prove it works....(probably wants to write a book or something). The only thing he was right about, (in a general sense), was a cold December....but hell everyone was saying that. He kept pointing to the cold December matching up perfectly with his hurricane analog.

....as far as I'm concerned, he's done a fantastic job of proving there is no significant analogy between hurricane seasons and the following winter.

When he calls for a cold winter, he will do whatever it takes to point out to future cold outbreaks even if they dont exist. He is doing the same thing this year except the opposite. He is so busy looking for the next warm up that he is missing the consistent cold thats showing up on the modeling.

And dont get me started with how much snow he has given DC this year vs what has fallen.

When he calls for a cold winter, he will do whatever it takes to point out to future cold outbreaks even if they dont exist. He is doing the same thing this year except the opposite. He is so busy looking for the next warm up that he is missing the consistent cold thats showing up on the modeling.

And dont get me started with how much snow he has given DC this year vs what has fallen.

did you get that 3-6 shoveled yet?

I've always enjoyed JB, but it's hard to defend his forecast this year or in many of the past years of this decade. The "Vodka Cold" call of 2001-2002 still lingers. This season just hasn't been a good one for him. In mid December, he said the models were sniffing out a pattern change and said the same thing on Fox. Then he flipped to say look out for cold in January only to say a big pattern reversal was on the way after the 20th. Now, he's already pushing back that prediction.

If this winter has shown us anything, the bias is towards very cold weather east of the MS river. For so many years, the bias was always towards the warm solution. How many times did we have winters in the 1990's and early part of this decade where there was no winter weather to find? I live in Kentucky and I can think of many times when I played golf in January because it was in the 60's or even the 70's. That hasn't been the case since mid winter of 2008. In fact, it's been pretty darn cold and consistently so here since Valentine's Day 2008.

JB said on his twitter page he doesn't flip flop based on model runs, but hasn't he done so with the pattern? The GFS has tried three times to flip the pattern, but has always backed off. I guess it's doing the same thing now.

It would be nice if we could get a coastal storm that actually impacted my region. One of the main reasons Ottawa, Montreal and Syracuse average more snow than Toronto and Buffalo is because we're supposed to get hit by coastal storms.

Take Syracuse out of the list and you might be on to something... Syracuse is more highly dependent on lake-effect.

Also, good job JB for taking one model solution and running with it yet again.

Archived