• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Scientists Create 52 Artificial Rainstorms in Desert

Just makes you wonder how legit the story is. Wouldn't such an event in the desert made news when it happened? Why are there no photos or video of such an event?

i see this perspective......but i also see the other side which is practical as well. we live in a very complicated world. the less information available to people (that is of potential upsetting information) the better to maintain civil order. i.e there is nice to know and need to know regarding world developments that joe 6 pack gets to be exposed to ....i.e brittney and brangelina crap ...(we get all of that) . however not sure how many people's feathers would really be ruffled by this (cept on this board)

here's something interesting . . . . http://csat.au.af.mil/2025/volume3/vol3ch15.pdf

Just makes you wonder how legit the story is. Wouldn't such an event in the desert made news when it happened? Why are there no photos or video of such an event?

History has taught us that successes in this type of weather modification is more due to luck and coincidence than hard and fast science. I'm not saying that this is a farce, I'm just saying that I would like to see some peer reviewed paper on it before getting too excited or upset.

i see this perspective......but i also see the other side which is practical as well. we live in a very complicated world. the less information available to people (that is of potential upsetting information) the better to maintain civil order. i.e there is nice to know and need to know regarding world developments that joe 6 pack gets to be exposed to ....i.e brittney and brangelina crap ...(we get all of that) . however not sure how many people's feathers would really be ruffled by this (cept on this board)

I'm with you when it comes to pop culture and many "news" stories. However, in the science community, less is not more. As I said above, I would like to see the 'proof' of this happening, not just some pretty pictures. If they come out with a journal article and some good scientific, peer-reviewed data, I would be fascinated to read about it.

here's something interesting . . . . http://csat.au.af.mi...e3/vol3ch15.pdf

Although the internet needs a legit story filter, its hard to imagine the dissemination of information in a world without it.

History has taught us that successes in this type of weather modification is more due to luck and coincidence than hard and fast science. I'm not saying that this is a farce, I'm just saying that I would like to see some peer reviewed paper on it before getting too excited or upset.

I'm with you when it comes to pop culture and many "news" stories. However, in the science community, less is not more. As I said above, I would like to see the 'proof' of this happening, not just some pretty pictures. If they come out with a journal article and some good scientific, peer-reviewed data, I would be fascinated to read about it.

Are you of the opinion that eventually we will have widespread climate modification? I have read somewhere that we have some technological and energy barriers to overcome, but eventually (if we are to ever colonize and geo-engineer other planets) we will have to. My original idea was 200 years in the future, others think sooner.

Are you of the opinion that eventually we will have widespread climate modification? I have read somewhere that we have some technological and energy barriers to overcome, but eventually (if we are to ever colonize and geo-engineer other planets) we will have to. My original idea was 200 years in the future, others think sooner.

I'm with you that I think any purposeful modification of the climate system will be later rather than sooner. Most of the current theories (seeding the ocean, shooting reflective dust into the statosphere, etc.) are unbelievably costly compared to the potential changes that may be a result. Also, if a nation was to develop such a method to regulate the temperature of the whole planet, you can bet on it that the rest of the world will put up enough of a fuss (U.N. Sanctions?) to keep them from having that kind of control.

check out the book that I posted above, it's a quick read and I think that you would find it interesting to learn about many of the past attempts at climate/weather modification and how they are viewed today.

I'm with you that I think any purposeful modification of the climate system will be later rather than sooner. Most of the current theories (seeding the ocean, shooting reflective dust into the statosphere, etc.) are unbelievably costly compared to the potential changes that may be a result. Also, if a nation was to develop such a method to regulate the temperature of the whole planet, you can bet on it that the rest of the world will put up enough of a fuss (U.N. Sanctions?) to keep them from having that kind of control.

check out the book that I posted above, it's a quick read and I think that you would find it interesting to learn about many of the past attempts at climate/weather modification and how they are viewed today.

Im going to get that book :) I agree with you that the methods currently being "utilized" (if one can call it that!) are akin to cavemen using their "technology" in order to invent a computer. We're not at the stage yet where we can control the side effects, nor can we even get repeatable results. The factor of how it might impact the rest of the planet makes it even less likely for anything like that to be possible in the near future, considering the perennially politically sensitive state the world seems to be in.

i see this perspective......but i also see the other side which is practical as well. we live in a very complicated world. the less information available to people (that is of potential upsetting information) the better to maintain civil order. i

All this happened in a part of the world that likes to show off what it has done, though. Especially if it was the average citizen witnessing this happening.

Look at how much money has been spent studying the possibility of human induced climate change. So, after all the money spent on finding a way to stop human induced climate change let's go ahead and find a different way for humans to change a climate. Does that make any sense?

It all depends on what people feel they can control. These weather modification folks probably believe they are in control of the situations they create.

It all depends on what people feel they can control. These weather modification folks probably believe they are in control of the situations they create.

Everything. Some may disagree, but this is a good example of the arrogance of man. We start messing around with our climate system, who knows what the consequences might be.

In theory, I guess it could work but it would have to be on a massive scale.

article-0-0CA0EB73000005DC-441_634x369.jpg

I didn't bother reading the whole article, but I think it is BS. The BIG question we should be asking is where does the moisture come from. Deserts aren't dry because they lack condensation nuclei, it is because they are dry!

In theory cloud seeding is viable, FACE was an example of one study, but I don't see this working in a desert.

Archived