• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/PHL January 7-9 Potential Part I

earthlight

honestly, i think alot has to come down to this weekends storm and how strong that 50/50 low gets and how the blocking holds up

I'm with you. Don't underestimate how strong the CAA is at the surface in the Midwest either. Watch how the heights crash as the surface high builds down. That effectively acts to block the system from cutting too quickly.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it on the AMS site.That storm really surprised me at the time.

I can remember getting home from work in some light snow here and

seeing all the snow out to my east on News12 that night.

http://journals.amet...TE%3E2.0.CO%3B2

I can't open the link for some reason, that was the storm where Tom Grant put out the sps about us becoming observers vs forecasting, that was an amazing ptype/temp gradient. We were commenting today about that event and then the 18z runs came in. That's what this one still looks like, someone is getting norluned, most of the rest of us advisoried. We'll see. I'll trying opening it from another pc later. Thanks!

I tell you, the 18z GEFS members run the gamut. Just looking at H5, you can see everything from OTS, to a Miller A KU, to a Miller B jumping off the coast near 40N, to a true lakes cutter. We have a lot of work to do over the next week.

Shh lets focus on the inverted trough first thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Someone is going to get dumped on IMO, that band looks to mean business

Because of Tony I became so interested in the weather along with Harry Woodworth (Ret) NWS employee out of Mount Holly which use at work at the Newark WSO years ago. Still remember talking shop with Tony as the difax weather charts rolled in at Newark, Tony GiGi is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet out of the National Weather Service period. Thanks Tony for many years of true friendship !!

I can't open the link for some reason, that was the storm where Tom Grant put out the sps about us becoming observers vs forecasting, that was an amazing ptype/temp gradient. We were commenting today about that event and then the 18z runs came in. That's what this one still looks like, someone is getting norluned, most of the rest of us advisoried. We'll see. I'll trying opening it from another pc later. Thanks!

I attended a small weather conference at the NWS when it was in NYC during the mid 80's.I think that Tom Grant was the one doing the lecture.

All that I know is that I immediately recognized his voice from listening to my weather radio from the 70's on.I think that Elaine Lewis was also

there and I got to meet Al Roker.That vintage radar scope was really cool to see in person.

Here is the non PDF version of the page which may be easier to open:

http://journals.amet...archHistoryKey=

I attended a small weather conference at the NWS when it was in NYC during the mid 80's.I think that Tom Grant was the one doing the lecture.

All that I know is that I immediately recognized his voice from listening to my weather radio from the 70's on.I think that Elaine Lewis was also

there and I got to meet Al Roker.That vintage radar scope was really cool to see in person.

Here is the non PDF version of the page which may be easier to open:

http://journals.amet...archHistoryKey=

Chris Thanks, that worked.

Because of Tony I became so interested in the weather along with Harry Woodworth (Ret) NWS employee out of Mount Holly which use at work at the Newark WSO years ago. Still remember talking shop with Tony as the difax weather charts rolled in at Newark, Tony GiGi is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet out of the National Weather Service period. Thanks Tony for many years of true friendship !!

Tony,

You must have always caught me on my good days. ;)

Thanks and Woody still pops in here on weekends to help with Skywarn.

These Norlun set ups have a very sharp cutoff to the snow.

I can remember getting very light accumulations here back in DEC 88 while areas just to my east did very well.

I was on an Eastern Airlines flight leaving for Florida for good (until I moved back) when that happened. I remember hearing that it was a blizzard outside. The flight was delayed for a long time and they almost lost my dog too. Coupled with the fact that I was moving to a hell hole in Florida.... yeaaahhhh. Not good.

Did they intentionally delete Long Island from their weather map? WTF?

people complain about snowholes over their areas...we don't even exist.

Wow it looks a lot better without it to be honest....

lol just kidding.

Regardless, here is my forecast:

Friday storm: 0-3 inches regionwide with isolated higher amounts in (if) norlun dump zone.

Next week storm: 0-30 inches.

Wow it looks a lot better without it to be honest....

lol just kidding.

Regardless, here is my forecast:

Friday storm: 0-3 inches regionwide with isolated higher amounts in (if) norlun dump zone.

Next week storm: 0-30 inches.

Well, you can't go wrong with your second forecast, though I think your first one is wrong. I think some parts of central LI get 6-10 inches.

Well, you can't go wrong with your second forecast, though I think your first one is wrong. I think some parts of central LI get 6-10 inches.

Oh. Well I haven't really been following it so it was mostly just my natural fortune telling skills.

Quite generous. If you could bet on norlun's in vegas it would get pretty steep odds. It would also give me something to do when i stand up from the poker table.

I rotated between all of the NYC airports and the WFO between 1983 and 1993 before we moved down here.

I remember reading your AFD's from North coastal NJ like it was yesterday :) as we've already discussed on the seizure causing old advertising channel 12 on cablevision in monmouth county :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A LOT of the 18z ensemble members...like 1/4....are showing an OV cutter along with quite a few of the 12z Euro members. That is troubling......we can only hope the block holds up.

yea that deff is a solution that can possibly happen. Whenever you get a trof in the west like progged that is suppose to dig like it is, thats always going to get the se ridge life.

Archived