12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 8

NickD2011

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't that what Heavy Snow Warnings used to be for?

Ive always thought they should have an intense snowstorm warning beyond winter storm warning (which is only 6" plus) because WSW just seems too mundane for a thing like this.

Over 10 inches of snow in 24 hours or over 20 inches in 48 hours should be the qualifiers for that.

I'll still take a Nino any day over a Nina. The reason being so much more moisture available to developing storms, and the track pushed far enough south to really give us a shot at being snow vs. rain from the cutters we so often see in Ninas. 50 more miles on 2/6 last year and you and I would have easily exceeded 60" on the winter. I'm thinking this storm is the pinnacle of the winter; it's hard for me to see this pattern lasting into Jan and Feb. Eventually the cutters and SW flow storms will return. It just has to in a Nina as strong as this.

We should get some blocking back later on and we might get a great march like we did in 1956. There already seems to be a signal for a return to blocking in like 10-15 days.

Weak la ninas after el ninos seem to be a totally different beast though. As SG said it seems like when you have a weak la nina after an el nino you get the best of both worlds-- you get the moisture signal of an el nino (which we actually have had this season-- look at whats going on in Cali) plus the cold signal and arctic shots of the la nina. It would make for an interesting case study lol. The only thing missing from last winter was the extremely cold arctic air for a sustained period of time and if we had been able to keep this thing at weak this winter, maybe we could have had a 95-96 repeat.

Wasn't that what Heavy Snow Warnings used to be for?

I believe so, but theyre not around anymore :( After the Jan 2008 bust, its probably just as well lol. What I dont understand is, was that storm ever progged to give us 10 inches of snow in 24 hours? I thought it was supposed to be a 4-8 inch type of event?

My ratios actually weren't great in 96. As Bill G mentioned, too much wind. Had 2.14" water for 24.2" snow... just a bit over 11:1 ratio

Isnt it pretty hard to get really good ratios when you have a high amount of snow? I dont know what our ratios were here in PD2, but our "ratio champ" was probably Jan 2004, when we had 40:1 ratios with about a foot of snow. I remember reading somewhere that LGA ratio was like 80:1-- that sounds erroneous lol.

Archived