• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Boxing Day Blizzard Part 8

NickD2011

I dont know if its just me... but I didnt really feel 1/05 was all that good here lol-- I mean for SNE it was GREAT-- but for us it was just a "nice" snowstorm (lol, Im so spoiled), certainly not nearly on the level of Feb 83, Jan 96 or PD2.

And one of the advantages of being up late is lax mod rules-- we can just banter on lol. The mid days and early evenings suck sometimes with all the drama coupled with the server slow downs.

I'm still here. ;)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I got a lot more in 1/05 than 2/06...like 16 or 17" to 13", respectively.

It was close lol-- I had a really hard time measuring. JFK supposedly got 17" and Im like 4 miles from there, so I dont know if it was 13" here or somewhere in between.

1/05 knocked my house's flag pole and some bushes over, plus drifted to the extent that it was hard to get out of the house. Or so I've heard. :arrowhead:

How fast were the winds? I might have missed some of it if it occurred really late at night lol. Now you see why I dont like 2am storms lol.

I would love to have a 36 hr snowstorm that starts one morning continues all day and all night and all day the next day and ends later on that night and the moon comes out just after midnight with the wind still blowing and the snow drifting all over the place :)

Alright, I need some sleep now. Want to get up around 7AM, check things, and maybe get some more garden cleanup done... stayed up extra late to get as much done as I can since once its burried tomorrow, I probably won't be able to until I return again (no earlier than March and maybe not until May).

If this storm doesn't deliver a solid foot to me I'll consider it a failure. Haven't had a foot storm in nearly 7 years... I think its the AccuWeather curse ;) Bring on the foot!

Is it wrong that a possible 10" doesn't really impress me? Perhaps I am spoiled thanks to last winter. How do my Philly brethren gauge this storm potential vs. other storms and perhaps the maximum potential of this one?

I hear ya...we've had a pretty amazing stretch over the past 5 years. From 1/22/05 to 2/12/06, the twin ice/sleet storms in 2007, then of course last year, we've had a great run. I remember the stretch from 77-83 and 92-96 as being similar, and the balloon can pop at any time. This one could be a bonus for us.

We're really in a tight spot though...the margin of error for us is small. We could see the full effects as this thing bombs off the coast, or we could be spectators as it develops too late to bury us. Either way, I've had enough junk winters in my life to realize that a storm that gives us 10"+ is still a memorable one.

Alright, I need some sleep now. Want to get up around 7AM, check things, and maybe get some more garden cleanup done... stayed up extra late to get as much done as I can since once its burried tomorrow, I probably won't be able to until I return again (no earlier than March and maybe not until May).

If this storm doesn't deliver a solid foot to me I'll consider it a failure. Haven't had a foot storm in nearly 7 years... I think its the AccuWeather curse ;) Bring on the foot!

Lol the mood swings from positive to negative back to positive with this storm were monumental. What do you think of the long range Euro now? :weight_lift::arrowhead::thumbsup:

I hear ya...we've had a pretty amazing stretch over the past 5 years. From 1/22/05 to 2/12/06, the twin ice/sleet storms in 2007, then of course last year, we've had a great run. I remember the stretch from 77-83 and 92-96 as being similar, and the balloon can pop at any time. This one could be a bonus for us.

We're really in a tight spot though...the margin of error for us is small. We could see the full effects as this thing bombs off the coast, or we could be spectators as it develops too late to bury us. Either way, I've had enough junk winters in my life to realize that a storm that gives us 10"+ is still a memorable one.

There will be tense moments here tomorrow afternoon and evening, radar hallucinations that are good and bad and everything else, but we know that coming into every storm.

Hopefully you get in on a lot of the heavy stuff. Also, I told my sister up in Carbon County that she should get close to a foot and if it doesnt work out there will be hell to pay for me lol.

Please don't worry about the NAM right now...it has been fluctuating run to run. The SREF came west (Again) and the dependable hi-res models are fine. Plus, it's 3am. Time for sleep, big day tomorrow.

the NAM has been the worst model all season long-- right now it has the same amount of credibility as the KMA or the CRAS until the pattern changes.

Please don't worry about the NAM right now...it has been fluctuating run to run. The SREF came west (Again) and the dependable hi-res models are fine. Plus, it's 3am. Time for sleep, big day tomorrow.

I guess no staying up til 5 am for the GFS then lol.

Hopefully you get in on a lot of the heavy stuff. Also, I told my sister up in Carbon County that she should get close to a foot and if it doesnt work out there will be hell to pay for me lol.

Thanks...watching all these different model runs is gonna drive my crazy...The WSW for our area is saying 8"-12" & I'm sure there's the possibility to see that number increase by a decent amount if everything goes right. On the other hand, several of the hi-res model runs have us just out of reach of the sweet spot. It's time to wait it out & keep my fingers crossed.

Archived