joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central Pa. Spring 2024

8 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Rainfall yesterday (~7am-7am):  .41"

Rainfall for April:  4.73"

Rainfall for 2024:  17.98"

Would be curious to know if anyone is greater than my nearly 18" YTD figure??

Just added up my numbers and I’m at 18.14 ytd.  

• Thanks 1

I have the second half of April to go but I'm only 1.73" above normal. The way the last few summers have went I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I was at a +6"-8". Basically above 20" right now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA
202 PM EDT Fri Apr 12 2024

PAZ006-012-018-019-026-027-035-036-045-130900-
/O.EXA.KCTP.WI.Y.0010.000000T0000Z-240413T2200Z/
Potter-Northern Clinton-Northern Centre-Southern Centre-
Huntingdon-Mifflin-Fulton-Franklin-Southern Clinton-
Including the cities of Coudersport, Renovo, Philipsburg,
State College, Huntingdon, Mount Union, Lewistown,
McConnellsburg, Chambersburg, and Lock Haven
202 PM EDT Fri Apr 12 2024

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT SATURDAY...

* WHAT...West winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

* WHERE...Potter, Northern Clinton, Northern Centre, Southern
  Centre, Huntingdon, Mifflin, Fulton, Franklin and Southern
  Clinton Counties.

* WHEN...Until 6 PM EDT Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects.
  Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may
  result.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The combination of strong winds and
  saturated ground will bring an increased risk of downed trees
  and power outages.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high
profile vehicle. Secure outdoor objects.

For high wind safety information, visit weather.gov/safety/wind.

The latest forecast information can be found on the
NWS State College Facebook page and Twitter @NWSStateCollege,
or on the web at weather.gov/ctp.

&&
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I have the second half of April to go but I'm only 1.73" above normal. The way the last few summers have went I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I was at a +6"-8". Basically above 20" right now.

Most people in the LSV do not have overly gaudy numbers right now.  13-15.5" seems to be the norm. 

MDT 15.74

LNS 14.83

CXY 14.37

THV 14.31

HGR 11.54

8 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I'm over this fuckin wind.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

It sucks...I had to fix the latch on my wife's car trunk (not a euphemism!) yesterday and she wanted to leave it outside.  I told her there was no way I was working out there in the 'Cane, bring it in. 

This AM's GFS actually has no 70's for 18Z temps next week much less anything near 80.  Temps would probably still break 70 a day or two but a big shift from just a couple days ago.    Not used to seeing this continuous trend toward less heat.  It is often the other way.   CMC still has a two-day warmer look. 

18 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Is HGR below normal?

With yesterday's precip added they are up to 12" and in the top 15 for this time of the year historically.    Half of the top 14 have occurred since 1994, a period of 30 years,  despite these records running back to 1899.   However 2024 is one of only two in the top 15 since 2000.  The 90's were wet there. 

image.png.a4d6e98e01b0a4a10ecda531ca9a8e40.png

With yesterday's precip added they are up to 12" and in the top 15 for this time of the year historically.    Half of the top 14 have occurred since 1994, a period of 30 years,  despite these records running back to 1899.  
image.png.a4d6e98e01b0a4a10ecda531ca9a8e40.png
MDT would be below normal with 12" of rain ytd I think

As is usual in April around PA, the perfect winter pattern finally takes hold lol.  Next weekend looks cold and even the GFS hints the following week into weekend could have days 20+ degrees below normal a few times.  As of 6z, shows Friday 4/26 sitting in the 40s and rain

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AccuChris said:

As is usual in April around PA, the perfect winter pattern finally takes hold lol.  Next weekend looks cold and even the GFS hints the following week into weekend could have days 20+ degrees below normal a few times.  As of 6z, shows Friday 4/26 sitting in the 40s and rain

Seems to happen most years. 

10 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

MDT would be below normal with 12" of rain ytd I think

Like my place, HGR gets less precip on average due to their rain shadow location between two mountain ranges.      This mostly comes in to play in the summer when precip is more driven by mesoscale systems that dry out when reaching the leeward side valley of range 1 then reenergize with lift as they pass into Adams County.   This area scores bigly with systems that drive in from the SE with the opposite effect in that we wring out and optimize the qpf. 

I guess it's time to tell you guys.

This past Tuesday, I lost my mom. She passed peacefully late afternoon. She couldn't overcome the digestive system infection (c diff) that she contracted while in rehab for a broken hip.

I sat with her, holding her hand as she slipped away to the other side, reiterating that I loved her, but that I was ok, and that I wanted her to be pain free, to see again, and be with my dad and brother again.

We had some differences of opinion while I was here, but I hope my being here in Arizona was a comforting factor over the past year and a half that I spent with her.

• Sad 8

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

This past Tuesday, I lost my mom. She passed peacefully late afternoon. She couldn't overcome the digestive system infection (c diff) that she contracted while in rehab for a broken hip.

I sat with her, holding her hand as she slipped away to the other side, reiterating that I loved her, but that I was ok, and that I wanted her to be pain free, to see again, and be with my dad and brother again.

We had some differences of opinion while I was here, but I hope my being here in Arizona was a comforting factor over the past year and a half that I spent with her.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Thoughts & prayers for you & your family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I am sorry man. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Oh Steve, I’m incredibly sorry for your loss. I’m glad you were at the end you were able to be there with her for a good long run and then there to say goodbye. Sending healing thoughts to you and your fam. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like my place, HGR gets less precip on average due to their rain shadow location between two mountain ranges.      This mostly comes in to play in the summer when precip is more driven by mesoscale systems that dry out when reaching the leeward side valley of range 1 then reenergize with lift as they pass into Adams County.   This area scores bigly with systems that drive in from the SE with the opposite effect in that we wring out and optimize the qpf. 

Donald? Is that you?

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Sorry to hear, man. I know you did so much for her in her final years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, AccuChris said:

Before it changes in a few hours, not far from a late April snow.

image.thumb.png.80c8d7822e17e129091dc3b4f03e0902.png

image.png.7d4acfd8a56a1096ef06d0bca73812d0.png

• Sad 1