joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Arctic Outbreak: PNW/Northern Rockies/Plains

tacoman25

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I think will happen as the arctic air approaches.. That is where the highest probability stands of seeing a snow storm....

Not with that SE ridge still in place like it is. I'm not really seeing anything that will move it/weaken it enough to send this surge all the way in. GFS/CMC 200+ hour solutions seem very very suspect. Ice/mix is more likely than a snowstorm in this type of setup anyways (especially with a positive tilt longwave over the western US).

Not with that SE ridge still in place like it is. I'm not really seeing anything that will move it/weaken it enough to send this surge all the way in. GFS/CMC 200+ hour solutions seem very very suspect. Ice/mix is more likely than a snowstorm in this type of setup anyways (especially with a positive tilt longwave over the western US).

agree.....in fact the 00z op euro may have fired the first salvo at all this eastern monster trough talk day 8 and beyond. I wouldn't trust anything beyond day 5 at this point.

As usual, a nice dico by Izzi...

HEADING INTO NEXT WEEK CONFIDENCE IN THE FORECAST DECREASES

SUBSTANTIALLY AS POTENTIAL LARGE SCALE PATTERN CHANGE LOOMS. TO

START THE WEEK EXPECT FRONT TO WAVER AROUND THE REGION...PROBABLY

HANGING OUT TO OUR SOUTH MORE THAN OUR NORTH...AS IMPULSES EJECT OUT

OF THE WESTERN TROUGH RESULTING IN A POTENTIALLY WET UNSETTLED

PERIOD. MEDIUM RANGE GUIDANCE HAS BEEN SUGGESTING FOR DAYS THAT AN

UNSEASONABLY COLD AIR MASS WILL BE RESTING LIKE A HIBERNATING BEAR

JUST TO OUR NORTH. PREVIOUSLY MODELS WERE IN GOOD AGREEMENT THAT

THE HIBERNATING BEAR WOULD BE POKED/AGITATED AND SURGE SOUTH IN

TIME FOR THANKSGIVING...HOWEVER THE 00Z ECMWF HAS COMPLETELY

REVERSED COURSE AND ALLOWS SLEEPING BEARS (AKA THE ARCTIC AIR) TO

LIE AND KEEPS TEMPS CLOSER TO NORMAL THROUGH THE WEEK. MODELS ARE

OFTEN VERY FICKLE WHEN DEALING WITH LARGE SCALE PATTERN CHANGES

THIS FAR OUT...SO PROBABLY A BIT SOON TO BREAK OUT THE BEAR

REPELLENT BUT NOT A BAD IDEA TO HAVE SOME IN STOCK BECAUSE ITS

ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE WINTER-LIKE TEMPS ARRIVE.

IZZI

agree.....in fact the 00z op euro may have fired the first salvo at all this eastern monster trough talk day 8 and beyond. I wouldn't trust anything beyond day 5 at this point.

I'm sure that the cold will come in.... eventually. It just doesn't seem likely as long as we have a Cen/EPAC ridge and western trough. We've seen this blast advertised for a long time now, and it has been continuously pushed back day after day. Heck, I remember at the beginning of the month the GFS signaling that it would be here around now. Hasn't happened, and probably won't until the very end of the month. Having said that, there IS a system that has been showing up around day 7/8 pretty consistently, and the models ride that up the sharp baroclinic boundary that sets up in the next few days, and this could be a watcher (probably not for you though, Buckeye =P )

I'm sure that the cold will come in.... eventually. It just doesn't seem likely as long as we have a Cen/EPAC ridge and western trough. We've seen this blast advertised for a long time now, and it has been continuously pushed back day after day. Heck, I remember at the beginning of the month the GFS signaling that it would be here around now. Hasn't happened, and probably won't until the very end of the month. Having said that, there IS a system that has been showing up around day 7/8 pretty consistently, and the models ride that up the sharp baroclinic boundary that sets up in the next few days, and this could be a watcher (probably not for you though, Buckeye =P )

gfs_pcp_216m.gif

BOOM!

a shift east implies moderation.....i'm sure, relative to average we'll get a late november cold spell....but talk of bitter cold that will cause november to be the coldest since '89 is silly...heck, not even jb is making that kind of claim lol. A little bit of me is rooting for the early season cold not to come because that would give more credence to the idea that winter may be living up to a typical nina and it's toast after december.

i can't recall the last time january was the sweet month in winter around here. it's either december and done, or holds off til feb and march.

January 2009 was the best month of that winter. Had an arctic outbreak, a super clipper and a couple of other storms. 20" for the month and almost 6 degrees below normal. And January last winter wasn't that bad. We had an awesome first 10 days and it got cold the last week, but yeah, nothing compares to February.

January 2009 was the best month of that winter. Had an arctic outbreak, a super clipper and a couple of other storms. 20" for the month and almost 6 degrees below normal. And January last winter wasn't that bad. We had an awesome first 10 days and it got cold the last week, but yeah, nothing compares to February.

see what happens when you get old....even your short term memory starts failing...lol

see what happens when you get old....even your short term memory starts failing...lol

Well, to be fair, 2009 was an exception lately. Before that, January had not been our best winter month since 2004, and before that, 2002 with under 5", lol. Honestly, though, I think it's been since the early 90's and before when January was the predominant winter month. Since then, it's been February or December. Here are the last 30 years:

1980-81: December

1981-82: January

1982-83: January

1983-84: January

1984-85: January

1985-86: December

1986-87: March

1987-88: January

1988-89: February

1989-90: December

1990-91: February

1991-92: January

1992-93: February

1993-94: January

1994-95: February

1995-96: January

1996-97: No good months, lol

1997-98: Same

1998-99: January

1999-2000: January

2000-01: December

2001-02: January

2002-03: February

2003-04: January

2004-05: Harder to say, since it was so split up, but our best storm was in December.

2005-06: December

2006-07: February

2007-08: March

2008-09: January

2009-10: February

January was the best month:

1980s: 5 times

1990s: 5 times

2000s: 3 times

Big dump of Arctic air is on track, though latest runs have trended a bit west with the initial push. It now looks likely that the PNW/Northern Rockies will see the brunt of it 11/20-23, and then the Dakotas/MN get a secondary push 11/23-11/26. Still looks like a major outbreak for the western half of the northern tier, with the Upper Midwest seeing a slightly modified version.

Northern Montana should see some absolutely ridiculous anomalies for the 11/20 -11/27 period.

a shift east implies moderation.....i'm sure, relative to average we'll get a late november cold spell....but talk of bitter cold that will cause november to be the coldest since '89 is silly...heck, not even jb is making that kind of claim lol. A little bit of me is rooting for the early season cold not to come because that would give more credence to the idea that winter may be living up to a typical nina and it's toast after december.

i can't recall the last time january was the sweet month in winter around here. it's either december and done, or holds off til feb and march.

oops....guess what he brought up in todays column.....coldest end to NOV since, '02, '96, and possibly '89.

:guitar::lol:

It's been doing that in some form for almost 2 weeks now. Show me the money.

The only reason it's doing that on this particular run is because of that PV phasing solution. SE ridge in strong Nina years is a formidable opponent, especially early on.

Even if it wasn't a Nina year you are right, we have seen this many times and it end up being a lakes cutter 1000 miles west.

Oh, it's coming to Montana no doubt about it...I would imagine that we will have a solid stretch of 4 or 5 days with temps dipping below zero across much of the state, and definitely here in Great Falls. We were lucky for it to have held off for so long...

It actually has the potential to be the most impressive November Arctic outbreak for Montana in quite awhile. The Oct 10-Nov 10 pattern will be a distant memory. :snowman:

Oh, it's coming to Montana no doubt about it...I would imagine that we will have a solid stretch of 4 or 5 days with temps dipping below zero across much of the state, and definitely here in Great Falls. We were lucky for it to have held off for so long...

Hoosier where's the redtag? you trying to stay incognito over in montana?

Archived