• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Arctic Outbreak: PNW/Northern Rockies/Plains

tacoman25

Very cold cross polar flow into Canada has begun, and all global models now agreeing on a significant Arctic intrusion into the northern tier of the U.S., starting in Montana this weekend and then moving east into the Dakotas and Minnesota over the following days. Good potential for modified Arctic cold to move south/east from there. Sub -20C 850 temps over portions of MT/ND/MN possible.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forecast for today for Cut Bank, Montana

Snow. High near 25. Wind chill values as low as -3. Windy, with a north northwest wind between 25 and 31 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Tonight: A 50 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -7. North northwest wind between 6 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Yeah it looks like it's going to turn much colder. The month's positive anomalies are going to take a huge hit but it will probably be too much to overcome in a lot of areas.

It will be tough, but several days with -15 to -25 anomalies (which the Northern Rockies/northern Plains may see) can make a huge difference fast.

Regardless, looks like it will be one of the more impressive November Arctic outbreaks in recent memory.

doesn't bode well for cold lovers in the east. Our cold doesn't come from southwest canada on a positively tilted trough back into the sw US on sw flow. NW and N.Central Plains is the place for winter into the foreseeable future. Give me a true arctic high pressure sliding down into the dakotas with a storm forming at the base of a negatively tilted trough coming out of the Mississippi Valley.....now that's how we get cooooooold.

I think the fun, in the east will be potential overrunning north of I-80 into the lakes and new england after t-day. The baroclinic zone sets up much further north than what models show.....we shall see.

doesn't bode well for cold lovers in the east. Our cold doesn't come from southwest canada on a positively tilted trough back into the sw US on sw flow. NW and N.Central Plains is the place for winter into the foreseeable future. Give me a true arctic high pressure sliding down into the dakotas with a storm forming at the base of a negatively tilted trough coming out of the Mississippi Valley.....now that's how we get cooooooold.

I think the fun, in the east will be potential overrunning north of I-80 into the lakes and new england after t-day. The baroclinic zone sets up much further north than what models show.....we shall see.

The Great Lakes and New England probably won't see a true Arctic blast, but it looks pretty likely that the last week of the month will be pretty cold as things slowly shift east.

The Great Lakes and New England probably won't see a true Arctic blast, but it looks pretty likely that the last week of the month will be pretty cold as things slowly shift east.

a shift east implies moderation.....i'm sure, relative to average we'll get a late november cold spell....but talk of bitter cold that will cause november to be the coldest since '89 is silly...heck, not even jb is making that kind of claim lol. A little bit of me is rooting for the early season cold not to come because that would give more credence to the idea that winter may be living up to a typical nina and it's toast after december.

i can't recall the last time january was the sweet month in winter around here. it's either december and done, or holds off til feb and march.

a shift east implies moderation.....i'm sure, relative to average we'll get a late november cold spell....but talk of bitter cold that will cause november to be the coldest since '89 is silly...heck, not even jb is making that kind of claim lol. A little bit of me is rooting for the early season cold not to come because that would give more credence to the idea that winter may be living up to a typical nina and it's toast after december.

i can't recall the last time january was the sweet month in winter around here. it's either december and done, or holds off til feb and march.

Yeah, definitely a moderation from the bitter cold the Plains will see.

Wasn't Jan 2009 pretty sweet in your area? Cold at least, right?

By the way, where are you from, Guru of Reason?

lol my neighbor goes to school in fort collins. always asking me the weather for that area.

will be interesting to how good a snow pack we can build up in canada for when/if this big cold comes on down. It seems as of the the GFS has been really cold in the 8-10 day range but hasn't verified yet...we'll see.

18z GFS really unleashed the beast of the Arctic. It's having trouble resolving what happens in the western US with the trough and energy.

doesnt drive it south and east of the Miss river valley til after 240hr. I'd be very cautious about trusting any gfs arctic attack aimed at the east beyond day 10 That's pretty much default gfs model guidance in the winter.

lol my neighbor goes to school in fort collins. always asking me the weather for that area.

will be interesting to how good a snow pack we can build up in canada for when/if this big cold comes on down. It seems as of the the GFS has been really cold in the 8-10 day range but hasn't verified yet...we'll see.

Oh, it's coming. All global models show it reaching the northern Plains in the 3-5 day range (very cold temps are already moving into the Yukon/Northwest Territories). From there, it's just a matter of how much/how far it drops south and east.

Archived