• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2024

48 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I'm going to point it towards the clearest area within 8-10 hours. I'll leave here the night before and drive overnight so I get wherever by sunrise to avoid the worst traffic and find a place to park. As long as there's cold beer and a bathroom I'm good. 

That's a solid plan. ADK/NNE would obviously be ideal, but it's probably a pipe dream given climo and the ongoing active pattern. :(

There are a couple of Mennonite bike shops on farms that I work with that I can hang out on for the day. I warned them that I might be there early in the morning already :) They're scattered all around so I have my bases covered for quiet spots. It might be fun watching the animals be confused when it gets dark during the day. 

• Like 1

Buffalo NY seems like the best place to see the eclipse, it's in the center of the totality path and one can vacation in Niagara Falls afterwards.

Plus there is a decent airport, so access is easy.  

Rochester NY is equally good, but there is less to see there for after the eclipse.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 10:52 AM, hudsonvalley21 said:

It’s like a sponge out there. Went to the angry orchard last Sunday before this weeks rain and it was sloppy then. Was wondering if you have the monthly precip totals since October. Can’t remember when I had to drain the pool so many times vs. years before. 

On 3/8/2024 at 11:09 AM, IrishRob17 said:

Sure, with one caveat, the Feb total is just what the tipper registered which is likely off due to the snows. I'll have to check my records at home later if you want an accurate total for Feb:

Oct: 3.69

Nov: 2.13

Dec: 8.07

Jan: 3.51

Feb*: 1.78

Mar: 2.11 

On 3/8/2024 at 11:25 AM, IrishRob17 said:

Well over 57" since last June.

On 3/9/2024 at 11:05 AM, IrishRob17 said:

Feb was 2.34"

62.86" since June. 70.09" since last April 1. Average annual rainfall is 40-45" in these parts.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2024 at 8:43 AM, gravitylover said:

I'm 1500 miles away so all I have to go on is our cameras but it looks like about an inch on the ground. Pavement looks wet. 

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Lost my Old Man in 2018, still grab the phone to text him a question sometimes... Lost my Mom last year along with my mother-in-law, it all sucks, no ways around it. Thoughts are with you and yours. 

• Like 2

Thanks Rob. We didn't have the greatest relationship and for the last year or so he wasn't texting much because he couldn't always remember how. I did go to see him pretty often, we'd sit and talk,maybe get a bite at his favorite diner but what does a sick 80 year old guy really want to do? Sit and be left alone. I was even further from my mom. That said, it's going to be an adjustment not having either of them to lean on when no one else wants to listen and other stuff... Hey, he went on his terms and that's what was important to him and now it doesn't hurt anymore.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 2:52 PM, gravitylover said:

Thanks Rob. We didn't have the greatest relationship and for the last year or so he wasn't texting much because he couldn't always remember how. I did go to see him pretty often, we'd sit and talk,maybe get a bite at his favorite diner but what does a sick 80 year old guy really want to do? Sit and be left alone. I was even further from my mom. That said, it's going to be an adjustment not having either of them to lean on when no one else wants to listen and other stuff... Hey, he went on his terms and that's what was important to him and now it doesn't hurt anymore.

Sorry for your loss

On 4/12/2024 at 11:47 AM, gravitylover said:

3 hours of fuel system cleanup, one small fire and a stinky driveway and it's working :) I'm tired of rain and sogginess, can we turn if off now? 

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

definitely spring.  misery mist in the 40's with strong winds.  joy.

On 4/12/2024 at 1:16 PM, IrishRob17 said:

@BxEngineto the rescue?

Noticeable little drop in temps and dews with the front. 

Well if the sub forum ever does get together this is certainly a karaoke option. Stay warm and hopefully dry, as always …

IMG_0174.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Since the forums for Western NY are dead I'll ask here. What's it looking like in Ellicotville for the weekend? I know what the official forecast says but how wet is it really gonna be?

Yeah cause this thread is really hopping these days LOL. Looks like showers on Saturday, Sunday looks better but that was a quick glance at the Euro only. Jamestown below.

Capture 4.25.JPG

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

30 this morning for the low. This may be it for the freezes this season.

A little bit early for a last freeze, I've found we usually average the May 2 to 6 period for last freeze. 

My records show the last freeze average date to be 4/25, so pretty much on point here.

• Like 1