Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

1 minute ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I am hoping this storm does come together. We really need a big mama of a snow storm ( and yes... Bring on the weenie emojis.... If it means getting the " Big One " I will gladly take them!! 

As much as I hate to say it, I feel like we already had our "big one" here on 01/29/22. As much as we want to get another 1978, 1996, or 2005, I feel like after 2022 we will have to wait a while, but hopefully I'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

They can work but B’s are not ideal. Anyway, I’ve parced through h5 and the angle of attack from the N stream is not conducive for WOR crushers. Doesn’t mean we whiff entirely but I’m not bullish on the pattern the way Brooklyn and some others are. 

Some are. Some aren’t.  But fair enough. 

The two monster ones in Jan 11 were B’s. 78 was a B. Feb 13 was a B.  

But that whole h5 look is subject to error too. It’s a good look in general is the bigger picture/take away. How all these moving parts coalesce and morph is the key, and that won’t be known for many days. 

I agree, it’s probably more moderate than a big dog, but the potential is there. And that’s how all the big boys start out.  So we watch and we track. At least we have some irons in the fire at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Closest system we have had to it was Feb 2013...shifted sw a bit.

Yep that was a big one too. I feel like relative to climo, we've actually had a lot of big dogs in recent decades. 1996, 2005, 2013, 2015, 2022. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like kind of an anomaly that we have had this many in recent years. How many storms of that magnitude happened in the decades prior? Maybe we are due for a dry spell?

Just now, WJX231 said:

Yep that was a big one too. I feel like relative to climo, we've actually had a lot of big dogs in recent decades. 1996, 2005, 2013, 2015, 2022. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like kind of an anomaly that we have had this many in recent years. How many storms of that magnitude happened in the decades prior? Maybe we are due for a dry spell?

Well, it goes both ways...I think CC is also tied into this, not just warmer weather and steeper gradients. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, it goes both ways...I think CC is also tied into this, not just warmer weather and steeper gradients. 

Oh absolutely CC is definitely a factor. Patterns are not what they used to be, although sooner or later we may get another bad snow stretch like the 80s. A foot of snow was huge for people back in that time. Nowadays, people my age act like 2013 type storms happen a lot more than they really do. Their bias is warped.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

Oh absolutely CC is definitely a factor. Patterns are not what they used to be, although sooner or later we may get another bad snow stretch like the 80s. A foot of snow was huge for people back in that time. Nowadays, people my age act like 2013 type storms happen a lot more than they really do. Their bias is warped.

Well, I think we are in an 80's stretch now...sure, we had Jan 2022, just like we had December 1981, Feb 1983, March 1984 and January 1987....hell, I think there was even a cape blizzard in like 1989.

16 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

You’re also forgetting TWO in January of 2011. Also Feb 2006. March of 2018.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, I think we are in an 80's stretch now...sure, we had Jan 2022, just like we had December 1981, Feb 1983, March 1984 and January 1987....hell, I think there was even a cape blizzard in like 1989.

I guess it just seems like I've seen a lot more big ones here in SEMA than people in CT see. Not sure if its always been like that? Jan 2022 was PVD's 4th biggest on record, after 1978, 1996, and 2005. I mean, I can definitely see us still getting a decent number of 12" storms here but 18"+ inch storms seem like they've been a lot more common here than it should be. Don't get me wrong, I hope that we keep getting big ones here, it just seems like we've been living high on the hog for a while now.

1 minute ago, WJX231 said:

I guess it just seems like I've seen a lot more big ones here in SEMA than people in CT see. Not sure if its always been like that? Jan 2022 was PVD's 4th biggest on record, after 1978, 1996, and 2005. I mean, I can definitely see us still getting a decent number of 12" storms here but 18"+ inch storms seem like they've been a lot more common here than it should be. Don't get me wrong, I hope that we keep getting big ones here, it just seems like we've been living high on the hog for a while now.

Well, you don't have to tell me how lucky se MA has been. I haven't sniffed normal snowfall in 6 years. I don't even think I pulled that off in the 80s...but the rats were worse. I have avoided any real abysmal rats in this stretch.

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

You’re also forgetting TWO in January of 2011. Also Feb 2006. March of 2018.

Eh, all four of those were footers though. Still big for sure, just not like 1996, 2005, 2013 level. Footers are definitely much more common. It seems like we avreage at least one every few years or so.

Just now, WJX231 said:

Eh, all four of those were footers though. Still big for sure, just not like 1996, 2005, 2013 level. Footers are definitely much more common. It seems like we avreage at least one every few years or so.

Nah..I had over 30" in 2018. Feb 2006 was well over a foot most of the area.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, you don't have to tell me how lucky se MA has been. I haven't sniffed normal snowfall in 6 years. I don't even think I pulled that off in the 80s...but the rats were worse. I have avoided any real abysmal rats in this stretch.

Yeah, but like thats what I'm saying. Maybe it's our turn to pay the piper here and your luck will change soon. Everything evens out eventually with climate. 

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Dec 2019 an of pike and inland.

Yup.  And Jan of 18 had a good one..it was a monster of a storm, just a little too far out to the east, but got the area good anyway.  But had that backed in just a little more…it would have been a monster for SNE. 

3 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

Not here bro..the first one in January was 22” here, the second was 18” here. Feb 2006 was was 20-22” here.  

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thanksgiving 89... I was lucky enough to be there for the holiday. Forecast for a dusting to an inch in the AM... ended up somewhere about 17 inches 

• Like 2

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Main limitation for snowfall here was occlusion. 

I just remember the local TV Mets saying that had it backed a little closer(and the satellite imagery was very impressive..I think I took a picture of it lol) it would have been a real whopper.  But then again I’m SW of your area, so that makes sense too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Thanksgiving 89... I was lucky enough to be there for the holiday. Forecast for a dusting to an inch in the AM... ended up somewhere about 17 inches 

Yup…even back here thanksgiving of 89 was a real nice storm…snow all morning and early afternoon, with about 6-8” of accumulation.  Really Blew up for the cape though. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

had thunder snow in that one in Easton

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro still not consolidated to a classic look. That s/w in the Midwest is acting to cause an inverted trough feature by Philly.

We see the inverted trough idea many times to mean it’s morphing/trying to figure out what it should do…a preliminary solution so to speak. 

• Haha 2