Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

1 minute ago, mattinpa said:

If the models are right the next week or maybe two weeks should be the last of our chances. Would be a nice little event. 

There is always that mid March or early April fluke event I can't discount

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, LVblizzard said:

We have been NAM'd!

3.png

If this scenario holds at the 00z and or 06z runs ,WWA should  be issued for the LV and for Montgomery /Bucks County by Friday morning. The real take on this run of the NAM is that the ground will still be snow covered from Tuesday's snow which will aid tremendously in the accumulation of the snow on grassy surfaces. In other words the typical white rain scenario is thrown out the door as even the roads will cave  immediately if not brine or salted.  I expect a shit load of brine to be used on the roads around here on Friday afternoon.  Furthermore at five inches, coming closer  for a Winter storm watch to be issued for Montgomery and Bucks too.  Elevation again is a factor as the South Mountain range appears to be in the bullseye on this NAM run. Definitely be a plowable event too if this comes to fruition.

• Weenie 1

Throwing the 19z NBM in for Friday night/Saturday morning.

As an obs - I actually managed to stay above freezing all night and then finally dropped to 31 for a "low" at 9 am this morning.  Was actually surprised at the temps as I expected to get higher today but nope.  High ended up at 36 with a chilly breeze to boot.   Lots of snow melt on roofs and streets/walks but parking lot mounds that were still around from the last storm, got a complete refresh.

When I was out today I noticed there was a "haze" of very high clouds that the sun was blazing through.

In any case, am currently 35 with an arctic-like dp of 13.

floop-19z-nbm-snow-2024021419.snowfall_acc-imp.us_ne-02142024.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Albedoman said:

If this scenario holds at the 00z and or 06z runs ,WWA should  be issued for the LV and for Montgomery /Bucks County by Friday morning. The real take on this run of the NAM is that the ground will still be snow covered from Tuesday's snow which will aid tremendously in the accumulation of the snow on grassy surfaces. In other words the typical white rain scenario is thrown out the door as even the roads will cave  immediately if not brine or salted.  I expect a shit load of brine to be used on the roads around here on Friday afternoon.  Furthermore at five inches, coming closer  for a Winter storm watch to be issued for Montgomery and Bucks too.  Elevation again is a factor as the South Mountain range appears to be in the bullseye on this NAM run. Definitely be a plowable event too if this comes to fruition.

I like what you are saying about snow on snow.  That is NOT the case down here anyone east of the Blue Route 476 in Delaware County now have zero snowpack.

It was an amazing ride this morning from Media driving ESE 7.4 miles to zero snow and also a temp in Media at 31f to a temp with no snow on the ground at 38f.  The differences from Central, Western, and Northwestern Delaware County to the River were in one word DRAMATIC when it came to snowfall accumulations from yesterday.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Throwing the 19z NBM in for Friday night/Saturday morning.

As an obs - I actually managed to stay above freezing all night and then finally dropped to 31 for a "low" at 9 am this morning.  Was actually surprised at the temps as I expected to get higher today but nope.  High ended up at 36 with a chilly breeze to boot.   Lots of snow melt on roofs and streets/walks but parking lot mounds that were still around from the last storm, got a complete refresh.

When I was out today I noticed there was a "haze" of very high clouds that the sun was blazing through.

In any case, am currently 35 with an arctic-like dp of 13.

floop-19z-nbm-snow-2024021419.snowfall_acc-imp.us_ne-02142024.gif

My low for today just happened right now I am at 28.7f the lowest temperature from this morning between midnight and 6 am was 32.4f thanks to the clouds off of the Great Lakes higher humidity and dewpoints capping temperatures. 

1 hour ago, LVblizzard said:

Some of the GEFS members say Friday night-Saturday could be significant. Ceiling is high-ish with this one but we need a lot to go right. Most likely scenario still seems to be a widespread 1-3”/2-4” event.

IMG_0708.png

Now these types of systems can be very sneaky in February.  We have the southern zones heating up more rapidly and then we have our cold grounds now with snowpack just to our north with us being colder relative to what's going on to our south.   This could set up quite a temperature gradient for snowfall to band and set up an overrunning event with decent accent / lift.  Don't sleep on the possibility of the system midnight Saturday to 12 pm Saturday to be an overperformer!

1 hour ago, LVblizzard said:

Some of the GEFS members say Friday night-Saturday could be significant. Ceiling is high-ish with this one but we need a lot to go right. Most likely scenario still seems to be a widespread 1-3”/2-4” event.

IMG_0708.png

If I was a forecaster....I would be telling my LHV folks this will be south of them and likely south of the M/D line for "best" relative snows....but what do I know??

4 hours ago, Albedoman said:

I suspect highly unlikely for the LV and more likely well to the south of that areas to maybe see any WWA....

• Like 1

Did not expect it to be this cold this morning. 23 degrees. 

After the light event Saturday, looks like we're down 7 with one time out and they got the ball with less than 5 minutes to go... Or... we're down 3 going into the 9th.

GFS still shows the apps runner on the 23rd. CMC has it at the M/D line then cuts north.  Euro says what storm?  

Fantasy land has your typical "In like a lion" storm/.

55 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Did not expect it to be this cold this morning. 23 degrees. 

After the light event Saturday, looks like we're down 7 with one time out and they got the ball with less than 5 minutes to go... Or... we're down 3 going into the 9th.

GFS still shows the apps runner on the 23rd. CMC has it at the M/D line then cuts north.  Euro says what storm?  

Fantasy land has your typical "In like a lion" storm/.

Bottomed out in Media at 21.4f 

• Like 1