Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

19 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You picture taking/video and drone footage shots are horrible...you should work on it and step up your game.

;)

21F/breezy, windy

Well, I crashed the drone today, so I think you may be on to something.  lol.   I put too much trust in the drone's obstacle avoidance system.  Tomorrow, I'll do better.  :D

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Well, I crashed the drone today, so I think you may on to something.  lol.   I put too much trust in the drone's obstacle avoidance system.  Tomorrow, I'll do better.  :D

You're doing fine.

I kinda want to get a drone. Are there a bunch laws and stuff you have to know? Are they different for each county? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You're doing fine.

I kinda want to get a drone. Are there a bunch laws and stuff you have to know? Are they different for each county? 

I've thought about getting one that I could put a small battery powered chainsaw or Sawzall on for trimming dead branches high up in our trees, lol. Payload would still be too heavy I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You're doing fine.

There are a few.  The laws are regulated and enforced by the FAA, so they're federal.   If you're using the drone for commercial purposes, then you need a part 107 license from the FAA.  There are more restrictions on the pilot this way.  If the drone is just for recreational use, then you only need a TRUST certificate.  It's just an online course and test.  It doesn't take long, but it'll teach you the regulations you need to know.  

Once the drone is in the air, it is treated like any other aircraft.  This can be restricting legally, but at the same time, it protects drone pilots.  For instance, Wildwood recently banned drones over their city during certain times of the year.  However, they can't legally do that.  All they can do is ban take off and landing on public property.  Once that drone is in the air, the only regulating authority over it is the FAA.  

I don't profit off of anything I do with the drone, so I don't have the part 107, but I was thinking about getting it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, BBasile said:

There are a few.  The laws are regulated and enforced by the FAA, so they're federal.   If you're using the drone for commercial purposes, then you need a part 107 license from the FAA.  There are more restrictions on the pilot this way.  If the drone is just for recreational use, then you only need a TRUST certificate.  It's just an online course and test.  It doesn't take long, but it'll teach you the regulations you need to know.  

Once the drone is in the air, it is treated like any other aircraft.  This can be restricting legally, but at the same time, it protects drone pilots.  For instance, Wildwood recently banned drones over their city during certain times of the year.  However, they can't legally do that.  All they can do is ban take off and landing on public property.  Once that drone is in the air, the only regulating authority over it is the FAA.  

I don't profit off of anything I do with the drone, so I don't have the part 107, but I was thinking about getting it.  

Ok.

Do you have to have to register the drone and does each drone have their own specific number like a VIN for a car or a MAC address for a PC?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Ok.

Do you have to have to register the drone and does each drone have their own specific number like a VIN for a car or a MAC address for a PC?

You have to purchase a registration for them only if they weigh over 250 grams.  I think it's 5 dollars for every three years, but the registration is for the pilot, not the drone.  So, you can use the same registration on multiple drones.  The number has to be affixed to the aircraft.  My drone is under 250 grams so it doesn't require it, but if I use the extended battery (which is pretty much all the time) it puts the weight over 250 grams and is then required to have the registration.  

7 minutes ago, BBasile said:

You have to purchase a registration for them only if they weigh over 250 grams.  I think it's 5 dollars for every three years, but the registration is for the pilot, not the drone.  So, you can use the same registration on multiple drones.  The number has to be affixed to the aircraft.  My drone is under 250 grams so it doesn't require it, but if I use the extended battery (which is pretty much all the time) it puts the weight over 250 grams and is then required to have the registration.  

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. It wouldn't be till the Spring/Summer if I purchased one.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 6:55 PM, Birds~69 said:

My father was shoveling.well into his 80s till he start having heart problems. Doc said...no, no , no more. Now 91 he watches and tells whoever is shoveling they missed a spot...

25F/cloudy  

18 hours ago, BBasile said:

Shot this quick video early this morning.  My hands were numb, I crashed my drone, but it was beautiful out.  lol

Beautiful shots!! I have a DJI drone also but have not flown in in a couple years!! Always nervous about crashing - I did so on my 2nd flight....You have inspired me to dust it off and at least start practicing again. I don't think I would ever fly with winds like yesterday. Hope the damage was not too bad!!

• Like 1

Today will be our 7th straight day since our temperature has risen above freezing which was last Sunday at 330pm. Some spots should just get above the freezing mark tomorrow...but some higher locales may just fall short of freezing This is now the longest stretch of sub-freezing weather since the 14 days from December 26, 2017 thru January 8, 2018. Monday and Tuesday look like the driest days of the week before rain chances are around almost every day through Friday. Temps could reach the 50's by Friday - combined with snow melt expect the sump pumps to be a pumpin!
Records for today: High 67 (1906) / Low 11 below (1984) / Rain 1.88" (1902) / Snow 10.0" (2014)
image.png.14f0f2987e7e879ef3f443ffed9e3ad2.png

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

Beautiful shots!! I have a DJI drone also but have not flown in in a couple years!! Always nervous about crashing - I did so on my 2nd flight....You have inspired me to dust it off and at least start practicing again. I don't think I would ever fly with winds like yesterday. Hope the damage was not too bad!!

Thanks.  No, the drone is okay, luckily.  Just broke a couple props, but I have plenty of spares.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Junk n’ stuff dripping, 31F/DP 13F. 

I was running some errands earlier and it looks like pothole season might be off to an early start.

Was out earlier and there are still some areas/patches where the sun never hits this time of year and still snowy/icy. Then there's drip-age. Thing is the drip-age seemingly rolls in places right before stop signs...quite comical. And w/tonight's low of 11F and non alert drivers tomorrow morning...good luck.

11.jpg

• Like 1

Bottomed out at 20 this morning and made it up to just under freezing with a high of 31.  The wind was blowing a lot of the powder off the roofs in the area in any case.  I also noticed that some time after noon yesterday, my station's anemometer and vane managed to free themselves from their frozen encasement and were moving again.

Currently clear and 29 with dp 14 and I expect the radiational cooling will be in full effect tonight.

Wanted to wait until after sunrise this morning to confirm but my low this morning was 20.  And although the winds relaxed after about 6 pm last night, they never went calm, and there were puffs of a breeze on and off all night, so the ideal radiational cooling wasn't in effect.

Currently mostly sunny and 23 with dp 16.

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Wanted to wait until after sunrise this morning to confirm but my low this morning was 20.  And although the winds relaxed after about 6 pm last night, they never went calm, and there were puffs of a breeze on and off all night, so the ideal radiational cooling wasn't in effect.

Currently mostly sunny and 23 with dp 16.

Yeah temps were just a little squirrelly here too last night, was stuck at 24F from 8 pm till midnight, but did make it down to 17 eventually. Currently 19F, dp 10.

Yesterday is on average our coldest day of the year. It was also the 7th straight below freezing day here across the County. Below is a ranking of the longest such streaks since records began back in 1894. Of note 3 of the top 15 streaks have occurred since the year 2000. Many spots will have a chance to top the freezing mark today. Overall a milder stretch lies ahead as we get into our "January Thaw". Unfortunately with the warming will also come rain with some models showing between 2" to 3" of rain by Sunday night.

Records for today: High 72 (1906) / Low 14 below zero (1984) / Precipitation 1.47" (1987) / Snow 12.8" (1987)

image.png.4756982872dedca4180587002139e9c3.png

Hearing alot of chatter about a potential event next weekend. As noted several days ago, this is an inland higher elevation potential at best. Antecedent airmass is garbage. Timing of ns also off a bit, so again we are relying on a warmish BL outside of those high elevations. A perfect track isnt going to much to help outside of a few mangled wet flakes possibly mixing as the storm deepens off the coast and pulls away. The better setup starts about 7-10 days following and things get pretty interesting from about the 10th of Feb on thru early March if the weeklies and monthly progs are to be believed. So patience first....and then buckle up time later.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Hearing alot of chatter about a potential event next weekend. As noted several days ago, this is an inland higher elevation potential at best. Antecedent airmass is garbage. Timing of ns also off a bit, so again we are relying on a warmish BL outside of those high elevations. A perfect track isnt going to much to help outside of a few mangled wet flakes possibly mixing as the storm deepens off the coast and pulls away. The better setup starts about 7-10 days following and things get pretty interesting from about the 10th of Feb on thru early March if the weeklies and monthly progs are to be believed. So patience first....and then buckle up time later.

65ae93f3d59b3.png

• Weenie 2

9 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS is the extreme end...mostly rain outside of higher elevations then ending as some wet flakes. Best case scenario.

Why are people saying rain if this storm wraps up ? There is a nice cold high up north .