Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 23-24' Wx Observations Thread

Carvers Gap

3 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I tried all the windows I could think of on GOES channel of RAMMB/CIRA page and the only imagery I could find that had something a little different was splint window difference:

giphy.gif

Apparently that can be used to show moisture under clear skies. 

https://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/satellite-blog/archives/23702

This is definitely fascinating especially in our area.  I've seen us here in the mountains have moderate snow with absolutely nothing showing on radar because the moisture is so close to the ground.  Kind of like a fog precipitation cloud.  Very interesting for sure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

This is definitely fascinating especially in our area.  I've seen us here in the mountains have moderate snow with absolutely nothing showing on radar because the moisture is so close to the ground.  Kind of like a fog precipitation cloud.  Very interesting for sure.

Under that spot is one of our nation's national defense plants. We make a lot of "stuff" here in KPT - chemicals, paper, and things which cannot be named or people show up at your house.  Sometimes it can get a little sideways. LOL

• Like 3

Just now, Met1985 said:

That would explain a lot lol!

I updated that post...you can read the rest of it.  LOL.  It may just be confluence.  It does tend to happen there, but normally it is on the other side of the mountain.  Options would be open pit, new gas furnace, hydro demotion, or their waste water treatment plant.  But it is right on top of it if I am reading that map correctly.  Again, they make stuff that keeps us all safe and gets dropped from planes during shock and awe.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

I updated that post...you can read the rest of it.  LOL.  It may just be confluence.  It does tend to happen there, but normally it is on the other side of the mountain.  Options would be open pit, new gas furnace, hydro demotion, or their waste water treatment plant.  But it is right on top of it if I am reading that map correctly.  Again, they make stuff that keeps us all safe and gets dropped from planes during shock and awe.  

Oh yeah I understand and I know exactly what you are saying.  The paper mill I worked at was kind of like that. Right on the river, waste water plant, lots of boilers and furnaces,  we practically made our own weather in the winter. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Oh yeah I understand and I know exactly what you are saying.  The paper mill I worked at was kind of like that. Right on the river, waste water plant, lots of boilers and furnaces,  we practically made our own weather in the winter. 

We definitely make our own weather.  But there are a lot of micro climates as well.  Holston's Sullivan abode is probably about 100 yards from my parents. (We have never met that I know of...small world though) I am a bit up the hill.  On Friday's they test their stuff.  Things shake.  LOL.   That looks like an industrial release.  My original thought was aircraft chaff, but we really don't have a lot of that activity here.  Plus, that looks like it is coming from a singular, stationary point.  Make me think waste treatment which is about where that plume is.  Ya'll, if I am missing for a few days, you know the black helicopters have shown up.  

@1234 probably lives about 6-7 miles as a crow flies.  Honestly, there are several Kingsport posters - I won't name all of them.  I met @kvskelton(by chance)once when he was surveying in my neighborhood!   

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Ok, @Carvers Gap @kvskelton @Icy Hot and any other Kingsport adjacent folks, what is going on here:

giphy.gif

Almost all those pixels make this look like it is coming off of Bays Mt, but a couple of frames show some hints that it might be coming from somewhere near Carter's Valley. We've seen this band during NW flow after storms sometimes, but today is unique. 

giphy.gif

Here is a zoomed in view with counties added:

giphy.gif

GOES 16 is so clear, I can see the point of Bays Mt there and Kingsport's urban sections around it. 

At the little swag in western Sullivan county there is a swag, for lack of a better term, in Bays Mt almost exactly where that radar echo is streaming:

oxybued.jpeg

That is a tiny feature, but Im wondering what is going on up there to cause that radar echo under what is almost a totally clear sky to my eyes. 

You always find interesting stuff.  I think I can see that view out my back window every day.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

We definitely make our own weather.  But there are a lot of micro climates as well.  Holston's Sullivan abode is probably about 100 yards from my parents. (We have never met that I know of...small world though) I am a bit up the hill.  On Friday's they test their stuff.  Things shake.  LOL.   That looks like an industrial release.  My original thought was aircraft chaff, but we really don't have a lot of that activity here.  Plus, that looks like it is coming from a singular, stationary point.  Make me think waste treatment which is about where that plume is.  Ya'll, if I am missing for a few days, you know the black helicopters have shown up.  

@1234 probably lives about 6-7 miles as a crow flies.  Honestly, there are several Kingsport posters - I won't name all of them.  I met @kvskelton(by chance)once when he was surveying in my neighborhood!   

Was over your way couple days ago and thought about giving you a yell. 

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

If you watch radar scope it stopped almost precisely at sunset. 

I wonder if there was some low level moisture hitting the mountain at a right angle.  Seems odd to see it on the upwind side of the river.  I was off the forum this afternoon, and hate I missed it....literally was right over the house.  Does that feature count as an elk?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

Looking at the origin point of that return I immediately thought of the Bays Mt Reservoir that sits on top of the mountain. Lake effect virga? :lol: I, too, thought it was strange occurring on that side of the mountain. 

@Carvers Gap I knew that would be in your neighborhood! If the black SUVs show up, get downtown and I'll hide you at my office! It was nice to meet you face to face a couple years ago. It is indeed a small world!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kvskelton said:

Looking at the origin point of that return I immediately thought of the Bays Mt Reservoir that sits on top of the mountain. Lake effect virga? :lol: I, too, thought it was strange occurring on that side of the mountain. 

@Carvers Gap I knew that would be in your neighborhood! If the black SUVs show up, get downtown and I'll hide you at my office! It was nice to meet you face to face a couple years ago. It is indeed a small world!

LOL.  You know it! 

You know, that does look like that could be the Bays reservoir.   I drove over that section of I-26 about 3:45.  I don't remember anything unusual.  On the other hand, I was trying not to hit the potholes on the bridge or get hit.  For those of you who don't know, I-26 from Kingsport to Johnson City is like the autobahn in German.  Better be on your toes...rubbin is racing on that section.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 5:47 AM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

But it was almost 70 in places in east TN yesterday, so not too surprising. 

Welp, I too was surprised with a dusting this morning on elevated surfaces. Saw flurries when I let the dogs out at 230 AM. Can't believe it was almost 70 a few days ago. I mean, I can see a big storm overcoming warmth in front of it, but this little one did too. 

• Like 1

Alright Kingsport folks, here we go. I think the wind is orthogonal to Bays Mt right now. The band seems to show up when it is more WNW. It does seem to be turning. I expect that band to show up at some point. I took some pics in Kingsport yesterday to see th sides of Bays mt. better and may try to puzzle on the band again this afternoon. 

giphy.gif

I'm even thinking about just a specific random thread trying to figure out more about how topography impacts weather in east TN if I have time. 

• Like 4