Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

On 2/17/2024 at 1:35 PM, KPITSnow said:

I ended around 3.5. Sucks that literally 3 miles south got close to double. 

On 2/17/2024 at 7:58 PM, Gordo74 said:

Does it REALLY suck when the forecast less than 48 hours ago was half of what you actually got?

I guess this is a case of two different things can be true. This was a nice event, we got little improvements over the 24hrs leading up to the storm, had that crazy narrow band of 7-10 inches, and most ended up with double what was expected just a day or two prior.

Being right on the edge of that band was a little frustrating, glad I got under it, but literally 5 miles away got almost double what I did so from the perspective of watching radar to get it to bump just a little further North did suck a bit. 

I was a bit surprised driving to work this morning going through areas that got nailed by the band that snow cover was already pretty well whittled away, late Feb sun doing the dirty work. Things really start to go down hill quickly now in the regard, time to root for overnight snows or a biggie and if we get anything else enjoy watching it fall vs having realistic hopes for longevity.

• Like 1

Not much winter to forecast.  The ensembles all show a warmer pattern after this coming weekend when we get a cold shot, but it looks like any snow talks are on hold for a while.

The GEFS is the exception for now which shows a little possible something on March 2nd when we get a transient ridge in a near ideal position.  But it is on its own.  The EPS and GEPS are both showing a strong warm look, nearly full latitude ridge at that time.

I guess if you roll the pattern forward, mid-March is a possibility for something?  Hard to get overly excited at this point. 

March is always a wild card, of course, but for me it's something historical like 1993 or let's just move on to spring.  Five-and-dimes aren't as effective or interesting after February.  In December?  Sure.

Also we’re losing March as a wildcard or a borderline winter month. Assuming this March fails us, that’s 4 out of the last 5 that have had little to no snowfall.

2020: 1.0”

2021: 0.1”

2023: 3.1”

2024: not holding out much hope

I’ll do it quantitatively too:

The average high on March 1st is 43, so I’ll define any day with a high of 43 or above as “spring-like”. With 10 days left of winter, we’ve had 46 spring-like days, and the forecast would suggest 9 of the remaining 10 will be spring-like, bringing us to 55. Only 3 winters have had 55 or more spring-like days, and none of us here experienced any of them: 1889-90, 1879-80, and 1931-32. So none of them were even an apples to apples comparison as they were observed in weird sites.

7 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Thus might be just me misremembering but I seem to remember 60 degree days in January and February being a lot less common growing up 

60 degree days in Feb, 1982-present. Draw your own conclusions, but it looks pretty clear to me.1B34421A-22B4-4298-98AA-B2C4D245FF8A.jpeg.9b4cf7de7e486209ae042280725ebc08.jpeg

That said, this particular pattern is unprecedented, just not here. There are areas of the upper Midwest that have never hit 60 in February that could go into the mid to upper 60s tomorrow with enough sun and slow frontal timing.

45 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Thus might be just me misremembering but I seem to remember 60 degree days in January and February being a lot less common growing up 

Sorry, had to include March 1 since it doesn't accept February 29th as an end date. Good chance for 3 more in 2024. Certainly a long-term uptrend, but not a huge change since the 1990s. Bigger upswing since 2015, however.

image.thumb.png.bc402b90eadfb14b4401b56925b0ceb2.png

A 50” February wasn’t *that* long ago. Also, what followed was 5 or 6 above average snowfall Februarys in a row - getting well into mid 2010s. At that point one could have said they are becoming snowier than January.

Two bad years doesn’t mean winter has changed. 2022 was the snowiest March since ‘93.

And like I have said - this isn’t disputing the overall impact of climate change. But local sensible weather (esp pertaining to snow) needs a lot more data to conclude anything anytime soon. At this point - it’s just two bad winters. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

A 50” February wasn’t *that* long ago. Also, what followed was 5 or 6 above average snowfall Februarys in a row - getting well into mid 2010s. At that point one could have said they are becoming snowier than January.

Two bad years doesn’t mean winter has changed. 2022 was the snowiest March since ‘93.

And like I have said - this isn’t disputing the overall impact of climate change. But local sensible weather (esp pertaining to snow) needs a lot more data to conclude anything anytime soon. At this point - it’s just two bad winters. 

February especially tho. We now have 2017, 2018, 2023 and 2024. It’s more likely in recent years that we have notable heat than snow.

2 hours ago, TimB said:

February especially tho. We now have 2017, 2018, 2023 and 2024. It’s more likely in recent years that we have notable heat than snow.

Then that could reverse in the latter half of the decade.  Such a small sample size cannot be used to make such sweeping statements.

21 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

All in all, we've done incredibly well with snowfall this winter with only 6.5" less than Erie to date, per the official observations.

Grading on a curve now to get a "good" winter. :lol: In all seriousness though, it helps getting over it that it was a bad almost everywhere. It's not like we missed a couple good storms and everywhere else is celebrating a blockbuster. 

A couple of long shot windows in March for a one hit wonder maybe showing up. I'd say I'm done and ready for Spring.. but here I am.

Maybe a few thunderstorms possible, looks like a pretty dynamic front coming through. At least we should get some wind. 

The reporting on the severe threat today hasn’t been consistent. I listen on the radio this morning and they are interviewing a met talking about one inch hail while reading the text discussions KPIT is like warm 

Gettomh on and off small hail up north