Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

15 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Potential westward shift in snow amounts and minor impacts from this weekend's system are trending further west with the latest model guidance. We'll continue to evaluate through the day today.

From KPIT, about as good as you’ll get from them.

Thats actually fairly responsive, usually you don't see comments on the recent model runs that soon.

Would be nice to see things keep improving, even if only marginally until game time. 

1 minute ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Thats actually fairly responsive, usually you don't see comments on the recent model runs that soon.

Would be nice to see things keep improving, even if only marginally until game time. 

Meh. Can’t give them that much credit. It’s been two full cycles of these shifts and not to mention even when things looked not ideal there was still a bunch of support for at least 1-2 inches and not the .1 inch they predicted 

1 minute ago, Burghblizz said:

Not even sure why I’m looking at this - but 12Z Euro takes next weekends monster storm and eliminates the severe cutting. Takes a primary into Ky/southern Oh, and then pops a secondary over DC. That look never seems to hold, but something to watch. 

Miller B type storm on the GFS and CMC too right now for next weekend. Should be an interesting week for tracking if that trend to pop a secondary further SE continues.

Probably not completely cooked on a front thump on Tuesday either. 

• Like 1

WWA for Westmoreland.

Winter Weather Advisory

Issued by National Weather Service
Pittsburgh, PA
2:23 PM EST Fri, Jan 5, 2024

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 10 PM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations between 2 and 5 inches.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest and western Pennsylvania.

36 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I’d go advisory 2”-5”.

Bottom and top end are two different impacts, but you can package it into one forecast that makes you look good 

Was about to claim victory for this since it popped up for me - but doesn’t look like they have one for AGC yet

IMG_0095.png

Hrrr looks great. One met mentioned this

Remember that the HRRR has a warm surface temperature bias in its extended range. Temperatures will likely verify a few degrees colder than what it's forecasting

18 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

18Z NAM looks largely the same - maybe a tick stronger and cooler. Extreme SW PA does a little better this run. Maybe that will be enough to expand the adv. 

IMG_0096.png

I don’t buy those high totals and I’m capping my expectation at 4”, but that certainly would be a welcome surprise.

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Miller B type storm on the GFS and CMC too right now for next weekend. Should be an interesting week for tracking if that trend to pop a secondary further SE continues.

Probably not completely cooked on a front thump on Tuesday either. 

Wondering if we sacrifice a stronger storm Tuesday to bomb out and reinforce NAO block next week. Potent shortwave into the TV/OV with the transfer to coast.. Sorta like what was depicted for tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, TimB said:

NWS point and click and zones still seem wonky, as far as timing, probabilities, amounts, etc.

I don't think those point-and-click forecasts are made by people plugging in data.  I think it's automatic from their backend software / system.

I want to test the NBM.  Right now, it says 9% chance of snow exceeding 4" and 43% chance of snow exceeding 2" (this is in the city).  Making a note now.