National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
330 PM EST Mon Dec 18 2023

PAZ021-029-073-074-182100-
Westmoreland Ridges-Westmoreland-Allegheny-Washington-
330 PM EST Mon Dec 18 2023

...SNOW SHOWERS WILL AFFECT NORTHERN WASHINGTON...ALLEGHENY AND
WESTMORELAND COUNTIES...

At 330 PM EST, snow showers were located over Jefferson Hills, or
near Gastonville, moving east at 35 mph.

Winds in excess of 30 mph are possible with these snow showers.

Locations impacted include...
Pittsburgh, Penn Hills, Mount Lebanon, Bethel Park, Ross Township,
McCandless Township, Monroeville, Moon Township, McMurray,
Greensburg, McKeesport, Franklin Park, Jeannette, Canonsburg,
Latrobe, Gastonville, Shaler Township, Plum, West Mifflin, and North
Side Pittsburgh.

This includes the following highways...
  Interstate 70 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 41 and 57.
  Pennsylvania Turnpike between mile markers 46 and 92.
  Interstate 79 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 44 and 70.
  Parkway North between mile markers 1 and 12.
  Interstate 376 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 51 and 84.

Snow will lead to reduced visibilities and hazardous travel
conditions.

Use extra caution if you must travel into or through this intense
snow shower. Rapid changes in visibility and potentially slick roads
are likely to lead to accidents. Consider delaying travel until the
squall passes your location.

2 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

There’s definitely more on the ground at this point than I expected.

I got maybe 0.1” that has already melted. I suspect similar for the official total at the airport. Glad the south hills and eastern suburbs cashed in, but it’s been a fail so far for much of the county.

4 minutes ago, TimB said:

I got maybe 0.1” that has already melted. I suspect similar for the official total at the airport. Glad the south hills and eastern suburbs cashed in, but it’s been a fail so far for much of the county.

I knew I should have waited for an assessment from you.

I’ll revise my assessment, total fail guys.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TimB said:

I mean, it’s not over yet (allegedly). But it’s definitely a crushing defeat for most of us if the bulk of the good stuff is done.

I'm think I'm going to take a break from here.  I really can't stand the negativity anymore.

Good luck with the season everyone.  It is what it is, don't let it ruin you.

1 hour ago, PghPirates27 said:

Same probably .5 to 1.0"

Same, about .5. Looks like most of the steadier bands missed me overnight. Still got enough to head out last evening and check out some Christmas lights with the family in the snow, so all in all it was a win. I did think we would do a bit better based on the setup.

Hopefully by this time next week a better looking pattern is in the short to medium range with maybe something to track. That would be a great Christmas present!

• Like 2

The better pattern look is holding in time, next chance for snow sometime after the 28th. I won't say it's a lock yet, but it would be a pretty big fail at this juncture if it falls apart. Hopefully it has some staying power, it would be nice to get locked into a favorable pattern for the first 2-3 weeks of January. 

My initial take the ridge axis is maybe a bit to far east which would favor weaker storms to be to far east for us and bomb off the coast, but that could be offset if strong short wave deepens / phases early on. Way to early to hone in on any of that though, but if I had to nitpick... 

9 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

The better pattern look is holding in time, next chance for snow sometime after the 28th. I won't say it's a lock yet, but it would be a pretty big fail at this juncture if it falls apart. Hopefully it has some staying power, it would be nice to get locked into a favorable pattern for the first 2-3 weeks of January. 

My initial take the ridge axis is maybe a bit to far east which would favor weaker storms to be to far east for us and bomb off the coast, but that could be offset if strong short wave deepens / phases early on. Way to early to hone in on any of that though, but if I had to nitpick... 

long range GFS looks not great. Didn’t last year constantly show longterm pattern changes that never materialized?

2 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

long range GFS looks not great. Didn’t last year constantly show longterm pattern changes that never materialized?

Yeah, last year did, but to some degree those changes were in contrast to the background Enso state, this year at least the placement of features generally agrees with what you’d expect. 

Not saying great times ahead is a guarantee but outside of one GFS Op run everything still looks on track. If it sticks and other ENS start looking similar maybe we have Lucy pulling the football but until then I wouldn’t put much stock in it.