Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

MillvilleWx said to proceed with caution regarding the GFS - he's much more worried about suppression vs something amped up. And that's for the MA folks. 

I really, really want this to work out, especially with all of the colder temps coming. 

His post was professional and on target. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Let me see...let me see

I can't put my finger on it right now, but I'll get back to you. Trust me.

Not the Etax, but it is the 18z Ggem. Just a tad slower than 12z, not unlike the Gfs, but it otherwise looks identical to 12z.

PT_PN_084_0000 (6).gif

PT_PN_090_0000.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Especially considering what the Euro just did. I know a lot of people are tossing it...and I also have a pretty good guess why. Millville seems to think that the flow aloft gives the Euro solution some credibility. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Not the Etax, but it is the 18z Ggem. Just a tad slower than 12z, not unlike the Gfs, but it otherwise looks identical to 12z.

PT_PN_084_0000 (6).gif

PT_PN_090_0000.gif

The thing with the GFS that will bother me until it happens, if it happened that way, is that it is totally reliant upon a stall and climb.  Almost ala Jan 2000 as to its track once offshore.  Doable but I would not bet my life savings on it even 6 hours out.  It is similar to betting on a Miller B. 

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Here is the @MillvilleWx post for all to read…

In all seriousness, it was a pretty solid run for a SECS, bordering MECS with the current environment. Would love to see the ECMWF get on board. By this weekend, we’ll have a good idea of the potential. This is one of the best ways to score around these parts. You’ll get some solid baroclinicity in this type of evolution. Great banding on the NW side as play within the prime isotherms of -4C, and the holy grail of -12C to -18C within the 850-600mb region. GFS is a beaut. Still more worried about a no-storm or something suppressed given the flow up top. We take and proceed with caution.”

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The thing with the GFS that will bother me until it happens, if it happened that way, is that it is totally reliant upon a stall and climb.  Almost ala Jan 2000 as to its track once offshore.  Doable but I would not bet my life savings on it even 6 hours out.  It is similar to betting on a Miller B. 

I don't see it at that. There are 2 short waves. The first one off the se coast weakens and the 2nd comes along from the southern Plains and scoops energy left from the first.

8 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I don't see it at that. There are 2 short waves. The first one off the se coast weakens and the 2nd comes along from the southern Plains and scoops energy left from the first.

Here is the GFS before anything is going on for the East Coast out Florida and beaches.     That vort stalls there for 5-10 hours then climbs the coast.  It is tugged by other energy but that is my point.  Not a gulf low that is raging out of the SE.   Just how I see it...the models that do not show snow allow that vort to escape. 

image.thumb.png.3ae5944e4e60a5f4ea775760b91fa008.png

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Here is the GFS before anything is going on for the East Coast out Florida and beaches.     That vort stalls there for 5-10 hours then climbs the coast.  It is tugged by other energy but that is my point.  Not a gulf low that is raging out of the SE.   Just how I see it...the models that do not show snow allow that vort to escape. 

image.thumb.png.3ae5944e4e60a5f4ea775760b91fa008.png

I now see what ur saying. It's impossible to say for certain as there's no watly to prove it, but the western vort alone could do the job if the first 1 was gone. In fact, it might have less interference.  But again, pure speculation.  Regardless of how, it seems like all models now show the storm except for the Euro's 12z run. Methinks that changes and will be reflected on the Eps if not the 18z operational.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Abc27 has no snow for anyone north of NC border

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

they always downplay winter weather. even when its falling and its more then they forecast they never buy into it lol

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I now see what ur saying. It's impossible to say for certain as there's no watly to prove it, but the western vort alone could do the job if the first 1 was gone. In fact, it might have less interference.  But again, pure speculation.  Regardless of how, it seems like all models now show the storm except for the Euro's 12z run. Methinks that changes and will be reflected on the Eps if not the 18z operational.

Yea, just less complicated is what I am referring to.   If this were a low sweeping in from the south, it is much easier to conceive.  Thanks for not mocking my screen name or insulting me because we had a different view on something. 

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, just less complicated is what I am referring to.   If this were a low sweeping in from the south, it is much easier to conceive.  Thanks for not mocking my screen name or insulting me because we had a different view on something. 

? What did I  miss

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Not you, some other posters in the past.    Thanking you for being civil.   Some jump to insulting quickly.  One of the MA posters once told me "You don't even know what a bubbler is".  So many internet tough guys.   

Ahh. I have no problem discussing differing opinions. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. Nobody knows for certain any of this stuff...except may HM. Lol Man I  miss his posts. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Ahh. I have no problem discussing differing opinions. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. Nobody knows for certain any of this stuff...except may HM. Lol Man I  miss his posts. 

His posts are so high level, they are indiscernible now.   LOL.  No one can argue with him...well maybe Chuck. 

• Haha 1

The 500mb differences in the Euro v GFS today were massive, not only in the timeframe of the Tues event but beyond it. 

I’m using 12z so i can do the Euro v GFS side by side (18z GFS was similar to 12z) 

image.thumb.png.229848e283017595bf52004989fe6806.png

image.thumb.png.b7b817d0b5b1e6bb425c145e7b2dd795.png

GFS has a much more defined western ridge axis that extends all the way up thru BC while the Euro has a shortwave diving into Washington really dampening the ridge. The more amplified GFS allows the shortwave trough axis to rotate and generate our east coast storm. We’re going to have to continue to resolve thru the handling of these features, but certainly a sizeable event is on the table. If we amplify similar to the GFS I will note the position of the western ridge axis on the west coast. C-PA ideal positioning is the ridge axis thru Boise, ID… so it’s a little bit west. Given the cold on the playing field I think this is still okay but if we amplify a bigger event I don’t think we’d be fringed. 

• Thanks 2

Don't think there's any substantial changes thru 90hrs on Euro that suggest a different result had it gone out further. That's not ti say that the Eps will be the same, so we'll see how they turn out.

EDIT: 90hrs has the large western vortex a touch west per Pivotal. Could just be a distinction without a difference.  Who knows.

• Thanks 2

18z Euro ensemble mean/probs were in the ballpark of how it was 12z (a tad better in PA with 1”+ probs, while the Euro control at least had a system of some substance this go around with a wave of light snow thru PA and a swath of 2”+ I-95 corridor and east. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

18z Euro ensemble mean/probs were in the ballpark of how it was 12z (a tad better in PA with 1”+ probs, while the Euro control at least had a system of some substance this go around with a wave of light snow thru PA and a swath of 2”+ I-95 corridor and east. 

Agreed & 18z Euro Control was a good baby step in the right direction over 12z.