• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Still some active flood warnings this AM with more rain on the way...also MDT now sits at 6.4AN for the month with the midnight highs really adding up the numbers.  We are 1/3 through January and have not had 1 day stay below freezing at MDT with the all around lowest temp being 24.  In a vacuum that is really warm though the cold air on the way should start to finally make it feel like winter.   The 19.5 departure yesterday was the ~58th highest departure of any day in the over 8776 days since 1.1.2000.   No days in last years Jan torch had that high of a departure. 

image.png.338cb9825744946af8581582700e9dae.png

image.png.5ac8cbe2472c4adec6665a018718fd61.png

Flood Warning

Flood Statement
National Weather Service State College PA
358 AM EST Thu Jan 11 2024

...The Flood Warning continues for the following creeks in
Pennsylvania...

Swatara Creek near Hershey affecting Dauphin and Lebanon Counties.

Conodoguinet Creek near Hogestown affecting Cumberland County.

...The Flood Warning is extended for the following rivers in
Pennsylvania...

Swatara Creek above Middletown affecting Dauphin County.

...The Flood Warning is cancelled for the following creeks in
Pennsylvania...

Yellow Breeches Creek near Camp Hill affecting York and
  Cumberland Counties.

Swatara Creek at Harper Tavern affecting Schuylkill and Lebanon
  Counties.

42 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

If anyone needs a good snow map fix this morning, check out the snow total on the 6z GFS through the end of the 16 days,

Amounts aside, it just screams of potential regardless of the final exact total that this period will hold for us.

For extra fun, check out the Kuchera total…

If one parses over most majors, it shouldnt be hard to see that the upcoming couple weeks that has been supported by ENS guidance is starting to have a nice look to it (pattern wise).  Win, lose or draw, several chances are showing.  Next Tues/Friday should be first 2 and week beyond....could be more, but I'm not wasting any energy beyond next week.  

As you stated, should be a fun week ahead.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, for those of us w/ brown back yards, many central/northers have snowpack remaining from prior events, and so long as they survive tomorrow, will likely be on the way to a several week period with snow OTG. 

IF you dont have snow, but need a white gold fix, head N or W and enjoy winters splendor.  Gas wont be back to $5/gal till after the election.  Enjoy.

Low of 38 here.  I continue to remain very intrigued about the pattern for the back half of January and am feeling very good about multiple widespread opportunities for snowfall and prolonged cold.  Also looking forward to following this lake effect event that seems to have its sights set on the south towns of Buffalo.  I'm sure the Steelers would love for that game to get all mucked up.  My Packers, however, are traveling to a dome where Jerry's boys are likely to drop 40 on them in their sleep, but a boy can dream.

National high of only 78 in Miami and low of -16 near Hilger, MT.  Onward.

• Like 5

Still some active flood warnings this AM with more rain on the way...also MDT now sits at 6.4AN for the month with the midnight highs really adding up the numbers.  We are 1/3 through January and have not had 1 day stay below freezing at MDT with the all around lowest temp being 24.  In a vacuum that is really warm though the cold air on the way should start to finally make it feel like winter.   The 19.5 departure yesterday was the ~58th highest departure of any day in the over 8776 days since 1.1.2000.   No days in last years Jan torch had that high of a departure. 

Flood Warning

Flood StatementNational Weather Service State College PA358 AM EST Thu Jan 11 2024...The Flood Warning continues for the following creeks inPennsylvania... Swatara Creek near Hershey affecting Dauphin and Lebanon Counties. Conodoguinet Creek near Hogestown affecting Cumberland County....The Flood Warning is extended for the following rivers inPennsylvania... Swatara Creek above Middletown affecting Dauphin County....The Flood Warning is cancelled for the following creeks inPennsylvania... Yellow Breeches Creek near Camp Hill affecting York and Cumberland Counties. Swatara Creek at Harper Tavern affecting Schuylkill and Lebanon Counties.

We sacrificed 3 in the past 24 hours to the weather goes. It best pay off

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled later this morning.

I apologize in advance if I post anything incoherent over the next couple of days!

we fully expect some wonky ass drug induced snow maps.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Flood Warning

Flood Statement
National Weather Service State College PA
358 AM EST Thu Jan 11 2024

...The Flood Warning continues for the following creeks in
Pennsylvania...

Swatara Creek near Hershey affecting Dauphin and Lebanon Counties.

Conodoguinet Creek near Hogestown affecting Cumberland County.

...The Flood Warning is extended for the following rivers in
Pennsylvania...

Swatara Creek above Middletown affecting Dauphin County.

...The Flood Warning is cancelled for the following creeks in
Pennsylvania...

Yellow Breeches Creek near Camp Hill affecting York and
  Cumberland Counties.

Swatara Creek at Harper Tavern affecting Schuylkill and Lebanon
  Counties.

This is what CTP is saying in regards to renewed flooding risk with this next storm:

QPF
amounts are in the 0.50 inch to locally 1+ which is most likely
in the higher terrain areas open to the southeast where upslope
lift will be maximized. Giving the preceding soil saturation and
elevated streamflows (hydro sensitivities), there will be a
renewed flooding risk particularly over the Juniata and lower
Susquehanna River basins. The bulk of QPF comes in a ~12hr shot
tapering off/ending after midnight Saturday. 
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Low of 38 here.  I continue to remain very intrigued about the pattern for the back half of January and am feeling very good about multiple widespread opportunities for snowfall and prolonged cold.  Also looking forward to following this lake effect event that seems to have its sights set on the south towns of Buffalo.  I'm sure the Steelers would love for that game to get all mucked up.  My Packers, however, are traveling to a dome where Jerry's boys are likely to drop 40 on them in their sleep, but a boy can dream.

National high of only 78 in Miami and low of -16 near Hilger, MT.  Onward.

Green Bay needs to figure out how to win the time of possession game in a big way if they want a chance - probably only chance you have to win the game of silence of the lamb. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Who would ever look at those maps? :ph34r:

300+'rs were recently posted when showing warmth....so what the hell....send it. 

Maybe I'll take a muscle relaxer with a strong cocktail before viewing.  

13 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Green Bay needs to figure out how to win the time of possession game in a big way if they want a chance - probably only chance you have to win the game of silence of the lamb. 

Any thoughts for my Eagles.....

j/k...sorta maybe

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Somebody forgot to tell the Icon there's supppsed to be a storm next week.

mine skips over money panels between 105-126 but extrapolated....it wasnt terrible.   Still too far out to worry much.  Signal for something remains. 

14 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

mine skips over money panels between 105-126 but extrapolated....it wasnt terrible.   Still too far out to worry much.  Signal for something remains. 

Believe me, you'll find no money in those panels.

I think Gfs will be better than 6z

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Believe me, you'll find no money in those panels.

I think Gfs will be better than 6z

out to 120you are correct bud.  SLP about 100-150 W of 6z and precip shields nicely into PA.  I dont need to see more.  Signal holds.  Onward.

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

GFS and Canadian look great and Icon is fine.  Optimism cautiously growing. 

Just took a look at Kanook model before heading out and yeah....nice signal showing for next week.  

Happy Day all.