Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

It's only January 8th. I've seen several winter's we're we score big in February.  Not saying we will have to wait that long but February is a winter month that I think people have forgotten. 

People have forgotten it because it has become a joke. We haven't had a legit storm in February since 2015. Almost 10 years! December has had way more storms than February since 2009. There has been a huge Ridge in the SE most February's. I have seen some forecasters predict it again this year.

• Like 1

Just now, wncsnow said:

People have forgotten it because it has become a joke. We haven't had a legit storm in February since 2015. Almost 10 years! December has had way more storms than February since 2009. There has been a huge Ridge in the SE most February's. I have seen some forecasters predict it again this year.

2014 was the last big storm in February actually. 2015 had multiple smaller events 

I’m not going to lie. I’m a big seasonal guy so if we get to the end of February with nothing, I’ll be rooting for a torch and a mercifully fast spring and not an extended winter. I know March snow is always on the table but it just doesn’t hit the soul the same. So with that being said, my hopes will ride for about a month and a half more and then it’s on to fishing, severe weather tracking and boating. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

2014 was the last big storm in February actually. 2015 had multiple smaller events 

I lived in Mount Airy during that 2014 storm. Almost 20 inches of snow. I’ve seen absolutely nothing else like it in my life! I’ll never forget that event. 

• Like 2

I was going to say...when was the last "Fab Feb"? 2014? Don't even get me started on the "it can still snow in March". 

I'm sorry but I think it's fair for folks to be discouraged by transient cold and consistent rain. Glad the drought is over but man, we all need a snow event to track. Once we get to Jan 15th, it feels like we're halfway through winter. 

Edit: This is my last negative post for a while. I'm usually an optimist...except for winter weather. 

7 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

If we do have a ridge then that means our spring will be delayed.  I'm afraid we are in a decade long bad winter pattern or could be several other variables but I personally am not ready to write winter off just yet. I've as well seen forecasters predict a great February pattern. So who knows.  You know these long range forecasts are hard to nail down.

• Like 1

I'll put it like this. It's weather.  Can we control it? This is a hobby and if you can't handle it then take a break. Mother nature doesn't give two shits what you want or how you feel... Just plain and simple.  If this current pattern is making you angry then I suggest you take a break from it because there's nothing we can do but look outside and see what it's doing.  And yeah it can still snow in March lol. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I'll put it like this. It's weather.  Can we control it? This is a hobby and if you can't handle it then take a break. Mother nature doesn't give two shits what you want or how you feel... Just plain and simple.  If this current pattern is making you angry then I suggest you take a break from it because there's nothing we can do but look outside and see what it's doing.  And yeah it can still snow in March lol. 

Oh don’t get me wrong. I’m not angry at all and hope it doesn’t come across that way. I just love winter weather so much that when it lets me down I get crushed. Don’t worry though, I’m very well-equipped to handle the disappointment. I’ve been a panthers fan my whole life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, BooneWX said:

Oh don’t get me wrong. I’m not angry at all and hope it doesn’t come across that way. I just love winter weather so much that when it lets me down I get crushed. Don’t worry though, I’m very well-equipped to handle the disappointment. I’ve been a panthers fan my whole life.

Meh don't get that vested.  Yeah we all want snow. Heck I'd give my left kidney for another superstorm like 1993. But we still have several weeks. I mean I really do think we may have something brewing next week.  

• Like 2

That first wave that came through was all sleet here. Silly as it may be, was nice to see something other than rain for the first time all winter lol. Now to enjoy the last few moments of dry, as that slug of moisture coming in from the south is looking mighty impressive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah the wind here has been steadily climbing all evening into tonight.  Not real exciting about tonight. 

The cool air wedge will likely save the escarpment areas from much wind until the system goes to the NE. I swear McDowell County and the mountains in general are some of the safest places to live as far as natural disasters go. 

• Like 4

O/U Rainfall Totals for this event-

Rainforrest- 6 inches (over)

MET1985- 3 inches (push)

Mercurydime (and me) 4 inches (over)

BooneWx- 3.5 inches (over)

Calculus- 4 inches (over)

Strongwxnc- 4.5 inches (over)

What yall think?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wncsnow said:

MET1985- 3 inches (push)

What yall think?

I’ll take the over on all those numbers, including @Met1985. Systems have been overperforming lately. I think we’re going to get rocked with heavy rain even though I still think it’s crazy we are closing school for it. We all know @Rainforrest can squeeze an inch of rain out of a bit of fog, so 6+ will be easy to make for him. After him, @strongwxnc should report the greatest totals. So, I think you’re all over it with these predictions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

MET1985- 3 inches (push)

What yall think?

Looks about right to me, too. That's a juicy system.   

I also wonder if the school delays and closings have as much to do with the forecasted winds and how they might coincide with bus travel. Soggy soil and high profile busses on windy roads seem a bit of a liability.  

• Like 1