• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

Late report:  Our dog got skunked Saturday night from a critter near our back porch, maybe under it.  First time for her.  Fortunately, either the skunk shot only a small dose or the dog was missed by the worst, but it was bad enough.  She came back tail under butt, very embarrassed.  Then I further traumatized her by dragging her into the shower stall (she's mostly Lab but hates water) and scrubbed her using a dog-deodoring spray and warm water from a pot my wife had filled.  Did not turn on the shower - dog would've been even more unhappy and I'd have been much wetter.  Dog smells normal though there's still a bit of aroma in the house.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Late report:  Our dog got skunked Saturday night from a critter near our back porch, maybe under it.  First time for her.  Fortunately, either the skunk shot only a small dose or the dog was missed by the worst, but it was bad enough.  She came back tail under butt, very embarrassed.  Then I further traumatized her by dragging her into the shower stall (she's mostly Lab but hates water) and scrubbed her using a dog-deodoring spray and warm water from a pot my wife had filled.  Did not turn on the shower - dog would've been even more unhappy and I'd have been much wetter.  Dog smells normal though there's still a bit of aroma in the house.

The best trick I’ve learned is making a paste of shampoo and baking soda and rubbing it into the dog and letting sit for 20-30 minutes before any water rinsing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The best trick I’ve learned is making a paste of shampoo and baking soda and rubbing it into the dog and letting sit for 20-30 minutes before any water rinsing.

Probably works well, but the bolded phrase would be very difficult for our critter.  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, tamarack said:

That's happened to two of my dogs over the years, I used peroxide, baking soda and dawn dishwashing detergent. Worked great except I couldn't get near her eyes so I used douche.