Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

There is hope for some solid rain across Iowa and Minnesota this weekend as a low slowly traverses the region.

Hope so, we need some rain to replace the drought.  Looks like Euro is on board with a good soaking for Central and southern Minnesota, but the GFS is thinking mainly Iowa as of the 12z runs today.

So I was out working today doing roadside and came across a maple that got absolutely annihilated by a lightning strike and burned out the core to leave 2 halves of the tree. Definitely top 2 craziest strikes I’ve seen. Happened with the line of storms from last Friday night. Impressive to say the least

IMG_4858.jpeg

• Like 14

29 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

3 ways you know it’s going to be a brutal day. Dew point is 70 in the am. Barely any wind. And to top it off good ole fashioned buzzards circling above me with pure sun shining down 

These late summer days with high dews, calm winds, fog in the morning and full sun later are simply the best.  I wish I could box this up and have it 365 days a year.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

These late summer days with high dews, calm winds, fog in the morning and full sun later are simply the best.  I wish I could box this up and have it 365 days a year.

I love this type of weather too as I enjoy the humid days!!   Humidity has never bothered me.  I also enjoy fall and winter but could skip spring and go right to mid-summer weather like this with nocturnal storms every couple nights!! 

• Like 1

A small little tropical cell popped up right over downtown Minneapolis last night. Best storm of the year imby, constant lightning and house shaking thunder, with winds gusted to around 45mph. My neighbors rain gauge recorded 0.51” however the airport obs site 1.5mi south of my house recorded 0.05” since the storm basically sat on us then dissipated. 

• Like 4

Fun little cell yesterday afternoon came across Saginaw bay and tried very hard to produce as it came onshore with about a 10 minute window when it had wall cloud with rapid motion before becoming wrapped in rain and outflow dominant. Produced some 60-70 mph gusts as it came overhead with lots of tree damage. Nice little local marginal day.

Looking from the se to nw before I moved and the storm tightened up

20230803_174039.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

After a couple hot days here in town, NE winds keeping temps in the 70's. Reached 87 yesterday at the co-op site on the shoreline. Hottest day so far. 85 on June 30 was the last hot one there. Upper 80's in mid summer is top 5 heat along the shoreline. Looking forward to some rain chances this weekend.

There is a disturbance in southeast Nebraska.  Several models are now moving that eastward and laying down a swath of heavy rain in northern MO and southern IA and into Illinois.  A few models continue it east or even southeast through Illinois while a few turn it east-northeast toward Chicago.

I likely won't see a drop before Sunday.  Models are split on whether my area will get anything at all this weekend.  It's possible the main shortwave and front will pass east of me before storms blow up Sunday.