• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Island Weather

Glen Cove apparently gusted to 65 mph yesterday with that line of thunderstorms last night. KFRG & KISP reported 34 & 35kts respectively. By the time it reached Huntington it was a thin, quick moving line with some some weaker gusts (maybe gusts 25-30 mph) but then the line re-solidified once it pushed east.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Glen Cove apparently gusted to 65 mph yesterday with that line of thunderstorms last night. KFRG & KISP reported 34 & 35kts respectively. By the time it reached Huntington it was a thin, quick moving line with some some weaker gusts (maybe gusts 25-30 mph) but then the line re-solidified once it pushed east.

Do you have any reports of how high the wind gusts were near JFK as well as rainfall totals?  Thanks!

15 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Looks like a couple of storms are trying to fire near Glen Cove. Any rain here still much needed. 

Centerport reported 0.61" with that quick hitting shower last night! Still roughly 3" below normal for the year but that shower alone accounted for nearly 50% of average monthly precip (~1.20"). Next shot at showers coming in on Thursday.

LI08_08.gif

3 hours ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Hamptons FTW. A bit overdone by model guidance the day prior, with most spots not eclipsing 0.5".

image.png.064a57a5ac5a058c3c3704d827170bb2.png

Insane how the S Fork has done so well this summer. They’re almost always the dry spot in the marine influence while up here toward the city gets more near the sea breeze fronts. I had maybe 0.3 or so here. 

On 8/7/2023 at 5:37 PM, WestBabylonWeather said:

I hope this thread is banging during winter time

During winter time, especially in the run-up to potential major winter storms, the emotional roller coaster which will be the Long Island Weather thread will be a treat.  I'm not just a member, I'm also a client.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Insane how the S Fork has done so well this summer. They’re almost always the dry spot in the marine influence while up here toward the city gets more near the sea breeze fronts. I had maybe 0.3 or so here. 

Yeah it’s an interesting microclimate feature for sure. I’m surprised we got more rain here a few days ago with that little cell compared to this event. On a separate note, just got a good downpour here a short time ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think we are in for our best nor’easter in many many years. Record warm coastal waters and a strong El Niño. Just a hunch. 

We’ll see. Odds favor it but I can see it being squashed underneath us by the massive central Canada ridge suppressing the flow and weaker SE ridge due to the cold water chopped up by the recent hurricanes. In any event I have outdoor plans this weekend so I hope the squashed/suppressed outcome happens. Which means it won’t. 

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We’ll see. Odds favor it but I can see it being squashed underneath us by the massive central Canada ridge suppressing the flow and weaker SE ridge due to the cold water chopped up by the recent hurricanes. In any event I have outdoor plans this weekend so I hope the squashed/suppressed outcome happens. Which means it won’t. 

I was generalizing about the upcoming cold season. This weekends storm is pretty meh. Though it does have some upside potential if all goes right with full moon tides.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was generalizing about the upcoming cold season. This weekends storm is pretty meh. Though it does have some upside potential if all goes right with full moon tides.

On that I agree, strong Ninos are usually stormy for us. Hopefully we don’t have everything suppressed or get overwhelmed with Pacific air. We also still have competing Nina influences so it’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I agree about this weekend's storm being meh considering it moves inland, gets sheared and we're left with its remnants. ECMWF on the other hand keeps it riding mainly along the coast, resulting in higher rain totals. It's kind of funny how much uncertainty remains considering it's only a couple days out.