• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Island Weather

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Bottomed out at 22.6 here.  Most places a little farther south from the Sound were 3 or 4 degrees colder.  Heat content of the Sound must be above normal...we're usually almost caught up to more inland parts of central LI by now in terms of nighttime lows.

23.2 in Muttontown & 23.7 in Syosset for my lows this morning.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Bottomed out at 22.6 here.  Most places a little farther south from the Sound were 3 or 4 degrees colder.  Heat content of the Sound must be above normal...we're usually almost caught up to more inland parts of central LI by now in terms of nighttime lows.

Hey Ed - I’m near you up right next to Sweetbriar. My station showed 20.8F … close enough with yours. Either way for all of us, ann  Old fashioned cold December night last night. 
just an aside - my weather station shows 6.79” of rain this month. Curious if you’re in that ballpark. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bkviking said:

Hey Ed - I’m near you up right next to Sweetbriar. My station showed 20.8F … close enough with yours. Either way for all of us, ann  Old fashioned cold December night last night. 
just an aside - my weather station shows 6.79” of rain this month. Curious if you’re in that ballpark. 

We walk to Sweetbriar!  I'm just north of Oakside.

I do more hiking instead of jogging these days, but I remember clear calm nights jogging when there were low spots in that part of the neighborhood (near Eckerncamp and Old Lander's comes to mind) where it was noticeably colder.  I often notice a couple of spots down there on Wundermap (one of which I assume is yours) are a degree or two colder on a calm night  I'm at about 122 feet and I think you must be closer to 40.  That may help with cold pooling.  My spot being a little closer to the Sound might be part of it too, although the difference is less than a mile.  We sometimes keep a light breeze when other areas fully decouple.  We were 25⁰ Friday morning, which seemed a few degrees warmer than a lot of other places on the island.  

I'm at 8.02" rain for the month.  We had 5.01" for the first big rainer and 1.92" for the most recent plus a couple of smaller totals early in the month.  This is one of the biggest months in the 28 years we've been here, maybe the biggest...I'll have to check 

On 12/24/2023 at 1:45 AM, NorthShoreWx said:

We walk to Sweetbriar!  I'm just north of Oakside.

I do more hiking instead of jogging these days, but I remember clear calm nights jogging when there were low spots in that part of the neighborhood (near Eckerncamp and Old Lander's comes to mind) where it was noticeably colder.  I often notice a couple of spots down there on Wundermap (one of which I assume is yours) are a degree or two colder on a calm night  I'm at about 122 feet and I think you must be closer to 40.  That may help with cold pooling.  My spot being a little closer to the Sound might be part of it too, although the difference is less than a mile.  We sometimes keep a light breeze when other areas fully decouple.  We were 25⁰ Friday morning, which seemed a few degrees warmer than a lot of other places on the island.  

I'm at 8.02" rain for the month.  We had 5.01" for the first big rainer and 1.92" for the most recent plus a couple of smaller totals early in the month.  This is one of the biggest months in the 28 years we've been here, maybe the biggest...I'll have to check 

this is the most disgusting unhealthy weather I've ever experienced, warm and sunny is far preferable to this.

I have moss, mold, fungus and some other stuff growing that needs to be bleached out of existence. My roof is green and so are the roofs of my neighbors.

On 12/27/2023 at 11:15 AM, LibertyBell said:

this is the most disgusting unhealthy weather I've ever experienced, warm and sunny is far preferable to this.

I have moss, mold, fungus and some other stuff growing that needs to be bleached out of existence. My roof is green and so are the roofs of my neighbors.

Usually occurs due to lack of sun. Trimmed trees around my house. Had it cleaned and hasn’t returned 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After our non-snowstorm except on the N Shore/central Suffolk where there was up to an inch or so, story tonight will be the wind/coastal flooding. Upton seems quite bullish. You don’t see 70mph gusts forecasted often and they say any inversion will be limited. We’ll see if there’s an organized squall line that can bring those strong gusts down. 70 mph will cause serious power/tree problems regardless of no leaves on the trees. Thankfully the worst SE wind should be during low tide overnight but there’ll also be severe beach erosion and flooding in the vulnerable places like Freeport and Lindenhurst. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

After our non-snowstorm except on the N Shore/central Suffolk where there was up to an inch or so, story tonight will be the wind/coastal flooding. Upton seems quite bullish. You don’t see 70mph gusts forecasted often and they say any inversion will be limited. We’ll see if there’s an organized squall line that can bring those strong gusts down. 70 mph will cause serious power/tree problems regardless of no leaves on the trees. Thankfully the worst SE wind should be during low tide overnight but there’ll also be severe beach erosion and flooding in the vulnerable places like Freeport and Lindenhurst. 

ugh I wanted it to happen during the day, I love seeing things flying around lol