• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Island Weather

Final totals not done yet and Suffolk still heavy rain, but this was definitely Ida for southern Nassau-some places in the 5 towns/Atlantic Beach must've gotten over 8". Widespread 5"+ elsewhere in S Nassau. I probably have 4-5", that was some of the most intense rain I've seen in quite some time. Long Beach was a "chaotic disaster" this afternoon according to my mom who had to drive in it. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Final totals not done yet and Suffolk still heavy rain, but this was definitely Ida for southern Nassau-some places in the 5 towns/Atlantic Beach must've gotten over 8". Widespread 5"+ elsewhere in S Nassau. I probably have 4-5", that was some of the most intense rain I've seen in quite some time. Long Beach was a "chaotic disaster" this afternoon according to my mom who had to drive in it. 

36-hour Totals posted below. It was crazy here yesterday with roadways closed due to poor drainage and the gutters that are on the side of some inclined streets that feed into the main drain at lower elevations reminded me of white water river rapids. This water was absolutely gushing. I've never seen anything like it. You would've thought a water line burst with how strong the flow of water was.

image.thumb.png.a52fcb7d697ae38e1f5ede9a05c43c68.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2023 at 8:10 PM, jm1220 said:

we were the bullseye here in SW Nassau, it was very reminiscent of August 2011 even pre Irene when we had widespread 8-10 inch rainfall totals.  In this case it was 9.06" so we just edged out those pre Irene totals.

I know you remember what August 2011 was like around here, this was even more rain than that one!

On 9/30/2023 at 10:25 AM, It's Always Sunny said:

36-hour Totals posted below. It was crazy here yesterday with roadways closed due to poor drainage and the gutters that are on the side of some inclined streets that feed into the main drain at lower elevations reminded me of white water river rapids. This water was absolutely gushing. I've never seen anything like it. You would've thought a water line burst with how strong the flow of water was.

image.thumb.png.a52fcb7d697ae38e1f5ede9a05c43c68.png

Thanks for these totals!  I live right near that 9.11" total!  My gage measured 9.06" so it looks like it was spot on!

Hey do you have rainfall totals from August 2011 which was JFK's previous record for all time daily rainfall? I want to see if anyone in the area exceeded these totals-- from what I can tell this storm delivered a little more than that one did!

On 9/29/2023 at 8:10 PM, jm1220 said:

This was the January 2016 of rainstorms ;-)

I kept thinking about that throughout the event lol

On 10/18/2023 at 7:12 PM, LibertyBell said:

Thanks for these totals!  I live right near that 9.11" total!  My gage measured 9.06" so it looks like it was spot on!

Hey do you have rainfall totals from August 2011 which was JFK's previous record for all time daily rainfall? I want to see if anyone in the area exceeded these totals-- from what I can tell this storm delivered a little more than that one did!

Dates for August 2011?

• 2 weeks later...

+EAMT event expected in eastern Asia which will likely trigger a North Pacific Jet extension a few days later. This would lead to us snapping out of this zonal flow pattern we've been stuck in. Lowest confidence lies in what we actually get out of it here, as much will depend on how deep W US trough gets and the behavior of the ridge downstream. I'd expect us to be up and down temperature wise in terms of anomalies mid-latter half of this month but hard to tell with full certainty. I'd welcome a few days shy of 60F in a couple weeks.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...