Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

7 hours ago, RedSky said:

What is it with I named storms? Maybe because I stands for intensify.

Again, it is looking more likely we will see nothing from Idalia but look SSE and see the high clouds.  There will be a front in the area so hopefully we get some rain from that.  This looks like a dry October pattern we have settled into.

Cloudy and still a bit humid today with rain chances increasing from south to north late tonight through Tuesday night. Models are bit all over the place on amounts but a general 0.25" to 0.75" look likely. The weather looks great from Wednesday PM through next weekend. Chilly temps toward the end of the week but warming by the end of the weekend.
Records for today: High 98 (1973) Low 38 (1982) - of note this was the earliest sub-40 degree reading in Chester County since records began in 1888. Record Rain 3.23" (2011)
image.png.50cec3c15e326a3c53cb45baabe50de8.png

all I can say  is that our yards are going to burn up again by the middle to late september. This evenings GFS shows temp near 100 degrees for a few days next week and in the mid 90's for several more.  Enjoy the open windows  the next 3 days because they will be slammed shut for the following week after that with the ac running full board.

I am really ticked off because my yard is already stressed in the past few weeks with the high temps already during the night and no rain.  After Wednesday afternoon, no more rain for almost ten days with the upcoming heat wave. Any blooming flowers in the garden will also be destroyed.  Maybe the tomatoes will produce some more but that's about it.  I am glad we are under a drought watch still in Lehigh County. The creek levels will fall big time in the next few weeks around here. We really could use some precip from the remnants any hurricane.

By the way the hurricane Idalia is projected to do a loop? Talk about crazy weather patterns. Tampa area may be hit with another round form Idalia later next week. 

• Weenie 1

32 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

all I can say  is that our yards are going to burn up again by the middle to late september. This evenings GFS shows temp near 100 degrees for a few days next week and in the mid 90's for several more.  Enjoy the open windows  the next 3 days because they will be slammed shut for the following week after that with the ac running full board.

I am really ticked off because my yard is already stressed in the past few weeks with the high temps already during the night and no rain.  After Wednesday afternoon, no more rain for almost ten days with the upcoming heat wave. Any blooming flowers in the garden will also be destroyed.  Maybe the tomatoes will produce some more but that's about it.  I am glad we are under a drought watch still in Lehigh County. The creek levels will fall big time in the next few weeks around here. We really could use some precip from the remnants any hurricane.

By the way the hurricane Idalia is projected to do a loop? Talk about crazy weather patterns. Tampa area may be hit with another round form Idalia later next week. 

IMO we are entering Fall soon, I don't care what the lawn looks like and the leaves will cover the piss poor lawn appearance and we're not in a drought. Furthermore I'm sick of mowing the lawn...

71F/DP 69F

24.jpg

After the overnight showers we should see some great weather through the weekend. We will start below normal temperatures through Saturday....we then start a big warmup that could actually bring the first 90+ day to my station here in East Nantmeal in over 2 years! The last 90+ day was way back on June 30, 2021. In fact we could see a few days in a row over 90 degrees...especially in the lower elevations of the county.
Records for today: High 100 (1953) / Low 39 (1986) / Rain 3.40" (1946)
image.png.242bd8492df3a49eb5906ad8b9785aef.png

9 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

IMO we are entering Fall soon, I don't care what the lawn looks like and the leaves will cover the piss poor lawn appearance and we're not in a drought. Furthermore I'm sick of mowing the lawn...

71F/DP 69F

24.jpg

Agreed. September can be a dry month outside of tropical mischief. But we have an oncoming Nino. Depending on how/where it sets up and countless other factors, it could still be a mild, snowless winter. But I'm not concerned about a dry winter. I think once we get into October, the faucet gets turned on and it's wet until next spring.

(Of course  I can't forecast my way out of a wet, paper bag so everything I said above could be dead wrong. :lol:

About .15" from this morning's atmospheric river. 71F/DP 69F

Agree, we've had snowless or nearly snowless (outside of one random big one) El Ninos to be sure, but dry El Ninos are hard to come by. Now watch, somehow this will be the dry one :lol:

We still have better odds of a KU with an El Nino, so here's to hoping. :drunk:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

What's a KU?

Sarcasm because we haven't had one in 6+ years??

Paul Kocin and Louis Uccelline, they wrote the book on big EC snowstorms. Required reading in Weenie 101...

Northeast Snowstorms Volume 1 and Volume 2 Set. (Volume 32): Kocin, Paul J., Uccellini, Louis W.: 9781878220646: Amazon.com: Books

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Is he y'alling about the coming epic heat wave?

He raised about $50,000 before ending the stream to get some rest and expects to be figuring out how to distribute it.

We almost always have some kind of heat wave right around Labor Day (similar to the April "heat waves*" (or at least upper 80s and maybe a 90 here and there)).:lol:

That's why every time the city tried to start schools before then, they had to let out 1/2 days much of that week since they still don't have enough ACs in the 100+ year old buildings.

5 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

He raised about $50,000 before ending the stream to get some rest and expects to be figuring out how to distribute it.

We almost always have some kind of heat wave right around Labor Day (similar to the April "heat waves*" (or at least upper 80s and maybe a 90 here and there).:lol:

That's why every time the city tried to start schools before then, they had to let out 1/2 days much of that week since they still don't have enough ACs in the 100+ year old buildings.

Looks like another Kenny Roger's roaster of a September incoming

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

No Ryan Hall Y'all? :lol:

It's still a Cat 1 over land in GA.

Meanwhile, the front has been moving through and the dp has dropped down to 66 with a temp of 81.

He has good coverage during hurricanes. I was watching pre dawn then I had to do productive things and realized weather is just a hobby.

74F/DP 61F

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Hope you all enjoyed "False Fall".

LdAbfO1.png

I sure am:

VutBB41.png

Next week. "Second Summer":

LNcWJnt.png

UGH. At least the days are shorter now.

This summer torch will be brief (week) then back to 70s for highs....10th, 11th, 12th?

We lose quite a bit of daylight during Sept. Sunset 7:32pm (9/1) to Sunset 6:44pm (9/30)

55F/DP 52F

lenth.jpg

On 8/30/2023 at 3:14 PM, Hurricane Agnes said:

We almost always have some kind of heat wave right around Labor Day (similar to the April "heat waves*" (or at least upper 80s and maybe a 90 here and there)).:lol:

And again...

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-school-district-extreme-heat-first-day-of-early-dismissal/13726980/

saved.jpg

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

This summer torch will be brief (week) then back to 70s for highs....10th, 11th, 12th?

We lose quite a bit of daylight during Sept. Sunset 7:32pm (9/1) to Sunset 6:44pm (9/30)

55F/DP 52F

lenth.jpg

You lose more sunlight in September than any other month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Hope you all enjoyed "False Fall".

LdAbfO1.png

I sure am:

VutBB41.png

Next week. "Second Summer":

LNcWJnt.png

UGH. At least the days are shorter now.

That's hilarious and true! :lol:  I have heard people even refer to "8 seasons". :D

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Yup.  It's an annual thing. And ironically because of what happened last year with an attempt to start before Labor Day in August again, and having to be released early for much of that week (the last week of August through the first week of September had temps in the mid-80s to low 90s), they went back to starting the day after Labor Day as usual, and it didn't matter. :P 

As long as there are a large number of century+ old school buildings continuing to be used, it will be like this.  They still have to complete the upgrades to the electrical systems in those old buildings to handle individual classroom air-conditioners.

I was bopping around 55 for a low this morning and that appears to be it as I'm currently at 56 and partly cloudy with dp 55.

That 55 low is the coolest since the first week of June IMBY.

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Called it when I began this thread…back loaded summer :lol:  This upcoming week reminds of when we get pity flakes in March after a ratter of a winter.

Seems kids get more “heat days” off now than snow days.

Never received a heat day/dismissed early in my 12 years and the schools were brick ovens. Loosening our ties/top button (Catholic) and a "get in line" water fountain drink (occasionally) was a big thrill...

64F/DP 60F