Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

3 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Where? Link to an article?

https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/pjm-interconnection-heat-alerts-us-power

Basically it is a warning to the generators(suppliers)  in the PJM electrical  system to be online as demand will peak by Saturday evening. They maybe fined if they are not online.  Key- everyone needs to reduce their energy needs. Weekend  should help as many  people will be involved in outdoor activities. Media blowing it oout of proportion. I worked with PJM in Lower Providence and Milford Township facilities. Their grid system is unbelievable and they are located in concrete harden bunkers literally 50- 100 ft underground  with giant computer screens controlling every power switching station . They are the guys that saved PA from the 20013 NE blackout from hitting our area. https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/pjm-interconnection-heat-alerts-us-power  

https://insidelines.pjm.com/fifteen-years-since-northeast-blackout-reliability-remains-top-pjm-priority/

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Ok, so, we were all under some pretty ambitious storm warnings this evening, but it's looking increasingly unlikely anything's going to fire off tonight in our region. This weather is nuts. Seems like we won't have enough instability to puncture the cap despite temps in the mid 80's and dewpoints in the mid 70's. PWATs have got to be through the roof.

I will say that my perception of storm potential has changed significantly since our basement nearly flooded two weeks ago. I still have standing water in my dry sump well, something which we've never had in the nearly three years we've lived here. Before we received over 11" of rain in three days, I was all about the storms, but now... I'm actually less inclined to pine for, nor lament the scarcity of heavy rain. Classic case of being careful what you wish for, I guess.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Ok, so, we were all under some pretty ambitious storm warnings this evening, but it's looking increasingly unlikely anything's going to fire off tonight in our region. This weather is nuts. Seems like we won't have enough instability to puncture the cap despite temps in the mid 80's and dewpoints in the mid 70's. PWATs have got to be through the roof.

I will say that my perception of storm potential has changed significantly since our basement nearly flooded two weeks ago. I still have standing water in my dry sump well, something which we've never had in the nearly three years we've lived here. Before we received over 11" of rain in three days, I was all about the storms, but now... I'm actually less inclined to pine for, nor lament the scarcity of heavy rain. Classic case of being careful what you wish for, I guess.

Is your rain barrel near your sump? Where does the overflow go (from the barrel)? Probably not an issue, but just to rule it out. Or maybe your soaker hoses are really putting out, lol.

54 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Is your rain barrel near your sump? Where does the overflow go (from the barrel)? Probably not an issue, but just to rule it out. Or maybe your soaker hoses are really putting out, lol.

Good question. The rain barrels have a bypass that diverts runoff into the existing drain that runs to the curb/storm drain, so overflow isn't a concern. I do remain slightly concerned about the soaker hoses though, which is why we're reducing them to half-hour run times instead of a full hour. That said, we've barely run them and the water table is still just really high.

Most spots were well into the 80's yesterday for high temps with even some 90's in lower spots of the county. Today it appears almost all of us...will reach the low to mid-90's. Now, my location here in East Nantmeal has failed to actually surpass the 90 degree mark for more than 2 years! The last time I recorded a over 90 degree temperature was way back on June 30, 2021. That said I do have a poorly sited roof thermometer that has hit the 90 degree mark 2 times this year....but that roof top location inflates the readings. Correct placement of a thermometer is 4.5 to 6 feet above the ground and in a grassy location. It looks like showers tomorrow night will end this brief heat spell with yet another below normal stretch of weather days ahead starting Sunday through much of the upcoming week.
Records for today: High 101 (1941) / Low 50 (1946) / Rain 3.47" (1914)
image.png.b44f2914de27993a790df4a42a274858.png

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

And to quote Birds -  Stuff. :D

Don't know if that will survive the trip but we'll see.

I made it up to 94 as a high today and here it is 6:30 pm and still 91, with dp 77.

kdix_20230728_2224_BR_0.41.png

My parents down in SW Chester County are about to get socked. We had a pretty decent outflow boundary gust push through here just now, and we might get some drizzle out of it. But the atmosphere is so juicy that I can't help but think it will hold together for a while at least. Lots of lightning, too.

13 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Nasty looking couplet east of Bel Air (ignore the purple relative velocity glitch):

KtRBl34.png

Got a severe tstorm warning here, don't know if it will hold together. Plenty of thunder and lightning off to the west at the moment. Hoping at least for a little (momentary) cooling off.

20230728_201829.thumb.jpg.b41dbbf7b60d6785b054008e4e5a97d8.jpg

• Like 1