• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mountains Spring/Summer Thread

Tyler Penland

Buncombe is like the driest county in the state. Surrounded by mountains, they get downsloped no matter the direction from which the weather system approaches. On the other hand, Gorges State Park, just a few score miles to their south (in @rainforest backyard) is located in the wettest county in the state. There’s an excellent exhibit on this huge disparity in precipitation at the visitor center at the aforementioned state park.

So, the paltry rainfall total at the Asheville airport for this system does not surprise me in the least.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Buncombe is like the driest county in the state. Surrounded by mountains, they get downsloped no matter the direction from which the weather system approaches. On the other hand, Gorges State Park, just a few score miles to their south (in @rainforest backyard) is located in the wettest county in the state. There’s an excellent exhibit on this huge disparity in precipitation at the visitor center at the aforementioned state park.

So, the paltry rainfall total at the Asheville airport for this system does not surprise me in the least.

Great info calculus1. I did know about the state park but not about Buncombe.  It makes a lot  of sense but crazy to think about. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

That MCS back in TN looks mean. Curious to see how it holds up over the next few hours. Could bring some big storms in this afternoon.

According to the last few Hrrr runs it holds up fairly good. Should be heavy downpours for most and some embedded storms. Also shows another round moving thru in the early morning hours.

• Like 1

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Western Madison County in western North Carolina...
  Haywood County in western North Carolina...
  Northwestern Buncombe County in western North Carolina...

* Until 415 AM EDT.

* At 309 AM EDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
  extending from 13 miles south of Greeneville to 14 miles east of
  Gatlinburg in Tennessee, moving southeast at 45 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and penny size hail.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:23 PM, Buckethead said:

I went up to the AT tonight. 55 and fog with a steady breeze. The mountain had a mood to it.

Evenings like this are a privilege. 54757cb8fca3c9bcd4b1067f5da91707.jpg4bbb5b2569d7f9a76d75828f52e9df00.jpg9382319466dafa24597c745a2ebb38f8.jpgbea399f247a1cb8d5514efaa21c2a64f.jpg6c4846cfa245cf760d363ef003141125.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Is that trail access site relatively discreet public or is it by private access only.  Thanks !

• Like 1

Is that trail access site relatively discreet public or is it by private access only.  Thanks !
I access it through my neighborhood. Other than that, the closest access in at Sam's Gap (6 miles) or Spivey Gap (~15-20 miles) but if youre intersted in checking it out with the long hike shoot me a message.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 1