• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2023 Mid-Long Range Discussion thread

Holston_River_Rambler

Re: Tuesday system....The odd thing about the GFS...it spots systems from way out...then trends them sharply westward.  The Euro and CMC have been 24-36 hours behind its trends.  It has taken the Euro to school during Feb.  Oddly, the Euro has had a recent progressive bias recently.  Right now I prefer the GFS at all ranges.  We are still at the point for next Tuesday where the operational is still pretty much a single member of the ensemble.  48 more hours and then we can talk seriously about it.  I don’t have high confidence in any model seven days out...to the good or bad.  As Jeff noted yesterday...there is one idea that the storm gets suppressed and another that comes north into a marginal air mass.  To me, the only differences in tracks of the 0z Euro and 6z GFS was precip type.  But again, as new data is inputed...those solutions will most certainly change.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

So the GFS idea of showing a weekend wave of low pressure along the front…don't buy the solution? Sorry, I just need some hope to cling on to right now. 

I think the Tuesday-Thursday timeframe next week has some marginal interest for me.  

As for the Weekend...looks like rain chasing cold to me.  Maybe the mountains?  That said, MRX does have snow listed for MBY Sat morning (light variety that doesn’t accumulate...if even that).

I always think spring has surprises.  TRI is seeing fairly steady and light snow shower activity this morning.  I wasn’t expecting that or the snow yesterday.   Never know!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

A light dusting here. Small flakes coming down pretty good now. Steady light snow. 

Bonus snow!   Wind chills this morning are around 25.  It feels like the middle of winter.  Our spring sports groups were sent inside yesterday by graupel.  I am pretty sure I haven’t felt it this cold since December....LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Carvers Gap said:

Bonus snow!   Wind chills this morning are around 25.  It feels like the middle of winter.  Our spring sports groups were send inside yesterday by graupel.  I am pretty sure I haven’t felt it this cold since December....LOL.

Coming down moderate to heavy now with a heavy dusting.. even on roads.

Looked at Pennington gap camera and quarter sized flakes there. Still small dense ones here. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Re: Tuesday system....The odd thing about the GFS...it spots systems from way out...then trends them sharply westward.  The Euro and CMC have been 24-36 hours behind its trends.  It has taken the Euro to school during Feb.  Oddly, the Euro has had a recent progressive bias recently.  Right now I prefer the GFS at all ranges.  We are still at the point for next Tuesday where the operational is still pretty much a single member of the ensemble.  48 more hours and then we can talk seriously about it.  I don’t have high confidence in any model seven days out...to the good or bad.  As Jeff noted yesterday...there is one idea that the storm gets suppressed and another that comes north into a marginal air mass.  To me, the only differences in tracks of the 0z Euro and 6z GFS was precip type.  But again, as new data is inputed...those solutions will most certainly change.

To be fair to the GFS the EURO is very similar at 00z. It just isnt as dynamic of a system so the cold isn't there.  This weekend is 100% cold chasing moisture with no other model support.  Early next week could be a legit threat but support is low right now which is actually how we want it at this range. I'd rather be missed to the south at this stage. That is something we haven't been able to say any this year.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

To be fair to the GFS the EURO is very similar at 00z. It just isnt as dynamic of a system so the cold isn't there.  This weekend is 100% cold chasing moisture with no other model support.  Early next week could be a legit threat but support is low right now which is actually how we want it at this range. I'd rather be missed to the south at this stage. That is something we haven't been able to say any this year.

Yeah, I think the air mass is marginal for middle of next week.  Time of day might account for some differences in precip type.  I haven’t look at the storm for more than 2-3 minutes.  LOL.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I don’t think it was overly cold here either due to wind and cloud cover.  Tonight is prob going to be the roughest IMBY re: freeze.  The wind chills are pretty sharp currently though.   

Yeah, clouds and wind kept temps up some. Did manage to hit 27. If winds die and skies clear, especially if early , yeah, very cold night on tap. May hit 20 or lower some areas. 

1 minute ago, fountainguy97 said:

This is a beautiful setup for the spine of the Apps. Big dog potential. Probably one of the best looks of the winter inside 180. Would like to see some more ensemble support though at this range.

Bout where we want it at this range given seasonal “send it to Indy” trends.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

Knoxville got lucky. Low temperature was several degrees higher than expected. Didn’t get below freezing and just enough wind to dry the dew up.

Same here.  32 here was the low due to clouds.  We won’t be that lucky again. 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic