Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2023

IrishRob17

8 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

On this date in 1981 areas in this thread were in the midst of a decent snowstorm. I think I've talked about it before in here but that's not going to stop me from talking about it again.  We lived in Fishkill at the time.  I have some vivid memories of this storm, I was nine years of age and recall working on Christmas decorations/ornaments with my Cub Scout pack.  It was pretty exciting to have gifts for my parents that I created, all while a raging snowstorm was occurring during the holiday season. The storm started on the 14th, I found this from a NY Times article in the 12/15/81 paper: "Yesterday afternoon's snow turned into heavy rain last night in New York City, but continued to fall heavily across Rockland County, portions of eastern New York, the Catskills and Connecticut."  Looking at various COOP reports, which can be a bit sketchy but still tell a story, it appears the storm lasted until late on the 16th or early on the 17th depending on location.  Some local NY snow totals from those observations:

Gardiner: 18" (seems a bit high but who knows)

Glenham: 10.5"

Liberty: 9"

Walden: 11"

Westchester Airport: 6.5"

Yorktown: 11"

The records show a couple of refreshers, one on 18th/19th and another on the 23rd, each were a trace up to two inches, location dependent.  Temps started warming up on Christmas Eve so the pack began melting but held on enough to make it an official White Christmas.  Seeing this Miller commercial in regular rotation on tv was more than fitting during that December of yore.

That was filmed in the mrv vt.  Will be there for the holiday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

It's always amazing to me when people can remember details about storms more than, like, 3 years ago

I remember 93, 96, pd2, and boxing day. 

and whatever day that was when we got snow at like -2 degrees. Other than that…meh.

I can’t remember when things happened especially pre pandemic.  That part of my brain is all mixed up.  We had a 3 foot snow in croton sometime in the early 2000s but I can’t recall precisely what year.  Pretty sure it was a school holiday week because the wife took the kids up to her parents and i was alone and trapped for a few days.

on to todays shit show.  Nws upped the forecast to 3-5”.  Great.  It’s the latter part of December and not even a hint of a chance this could be anything close to frozen.  Gutters are all clear.  Attempted to address persistent small chimney leak so this will be a good test.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Oh and thanksgiving 89? What year did we get snow? I had a pop warner playoff football game, was my favorite game of all time lol.

I am trying to remember the year because I can remember the Thanks Giving Snow as well and I remember it melted real fast once the storm was over that afternoon --- I am thinking it was 88 or 89 but the only year that  I can actually remember and put my finger on  is Leon Lett touching that ball on ThanksGiving 93 lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Almost no wind overnight which was quite a relief but did record about 2.5” of rain if the nearest meso site reporting is accurate 

Had a few gusts in the past couple of hours but nothing like to my south and east, up to 2.57” and pouring again. Lots of flooded roads out there this morning. 60/59, a truly festive feeling this morning out there…

15 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Had a few gusts in the past couple of hours but nothing like to my south and east, up to 2.57” and pouring again. Lots of flooded roads out there this morning. 60/59, a truly festive feeling this morning out there…

Had to step outside for a brief bit to gather up garbage for collection…not a great sight….truly what you expect to see one week out from Christmas Day

14 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

3.03" looks to be the total.  Lowest pressure was 983.5mb around 9:30am.  After a high of 60 a little after 6:30am we've been cooling, 45/42 currently, will see the sun very shortly.

Very impressive system, 3.84 since midnight along with 0.60” Sunday up to midnight gives me 4.44” for the event total.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Very impressive system, 3.84 since midnight along with 0.60” Sunday up to midnight gives me 4.44” for the event total.

After an average October, and a below average November, right back into above average precipitation with 6.13" so far this month. Sitting right near 65" for the year...why not make a run at 70"? Back in the day we'd say "no way" to that much more this month, sadly nowadays its not as crazy as it may sound to some.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

After an average October, and a below average November, right back into above average precipitation with 6.13" so far this month. Sitting right near 65" for the year...why not make a run at 70"? Back in the day we'd say "no way" to that much more this month, sadly nowadays its not as crazy as it may sound to some.

I guess we can call it the new abnormal. The 12z GFS is showing an additional 2” of QPF up till New Years so we could add some icing on the cake. Maybe some of it will be in the frozen type. Always subject to change of course. ;)

12 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

The water gage near the hospital in Middletown is higher now than it was in July, not by much but it also hasn't crested yet, although its getting close.

The rain immediately ran off yesterday even after 0.25”. The ground is saturated plus the vegetation that has shut down made an impact on the water levels in the creeks and streams. I heard that there was more road damage on route 6 by the Long Mountain traffic circle  from runoff this morning.

From NYS police Facebook

COMMUTER ALERT ORANGE COUNTY: The Palisades Interstate Parkway is closed between exits 14 and 18 northbound and southbound. Traffic traveling north will be diverted to exit 9W to Interstate 87 northbound, except for local traffic. Route 6 and 293 are closed. Traffic will not be able to enter the Palisades south. Commuters traveling north from New York City are advised to stay on Interstate 87

3EAAE1F9-D42E-4B23-8B30-E81B35FB4366.jpeg