Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Christmas Lake Effect Blizzard

heaviest part of band is back over me

...A BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT PARTS OF 
ERIE...NORTHWESTERN WYOMING...AND WESTERN GENESEE COUNTIES...

HAZARDS...A BAND OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS 
SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL ERIE COUNTY EAST INTO SOUTHWESTERN GENESEE AND 
NORTHWESTERN WYOMING COUNTIES. SNOWFALL RATES UP TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR 
WILL CONTINUE IN THE MOST INTENSE PORTION OF THE BAND.

LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...THE BAND OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL 
REMAIN NEARLY STATIONARY THROUGH THE EARLY OVERNIGHT HOURS, WITH 
MINOR NORTH SOUTH OSCILLATIONS.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Wow

FB_IMG_1672028767607.jpg

I love snow, but all the people that blizzard killed, that is just horrible. That poor 22 yr old lady trapped in her car by the high winds and numbing cold and snow. Who knows how long she was forced to wait, only to slowly freeze to death in her car? Buffalo in this particular instance, this particular 1977-like blizzard, is no place for an old man like myself. I have changed a LOT in the past 4 years. My right knee got badly injured while I have been living here in south TX. I am not so good at walking anymore. I'm not young either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I know you've posted stats before but can you perhaps place in context of past events where this ranks? Also if the data only go back a certain number of years would there be any longer historical data sources to identify extremes from say the cold decades of the 19th century? I suppose that back then, while there may have been more frequent opportunities for lake effect, Lake Erie rarely stayed as warm as it has been for this event, so that might balance out. I have been searching largely in vain for any reliable lake effect measurements in Ontario snow belts from that era. 

One of the few events that might rival this one but in a different location was in late January of 1971 in the Georgian Bay snow belt, I think conditions were probably similar in terms of frigid temperatures and strong winds combined with heavy snowfalls. That wind direction may have brought heavy squalls to western NY but perhaps a bit further south, also Jan 1971 had been a cold month and Lake Erie might have been largely frozen. 

Your detailed chronicles of these 2022 snow events will be a valuable historical resource years from now, great job. 

(I have 20" of snow here and it is more than enough, the one difference is that ours stays on the ground all winter, no 70 deg New Years in our future)

• Like 3

Been posting on Discord but for posterity’s sake here’s a quick rundown of the event so far from Chaumont, northern Jefferson County…Blizzard conditions quickly developed behind the cold front on Friday. Snow fell throughout the night with frequent wind gusts over 60mph. The blizzard raged all day Saturday, no drop in winds. Snowfall wasn’t heavy here but visibility ranged from zero to less than 1/4 mile. No relief through Christmas Eve night. Winds slightly lessened on Christmas morning as heavy snow moved in (to this point, Lake Ontario wasn’t producing heavy lake effect snow due to pretty extreme wind sheer). On and off heavy snow during Christmas Day, heaviest just south of here on the northern Tug. Winds dropped to 20-40mph by  Christmas night. Heavy snow ongoing now as the band shifted north overnight. 24-30” on the ground in protected areas here. On the backend of the storm now but conditions are still intense with the heavy snow and gusty winds. I’ll post some photos later…

• Like 4

14 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

46.1" storm total

I think it goes without saying that this was more severe than your November storm despite November being the epic total. Kudos for getting a measurement and not giving up lol.  I had a hard enough time here with 8 to 10" snow drifts in my yard with other spots 1".  It would be very easy to inflate or low ball snow in those winds but I know you take care in your measurements. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1