• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I was reading the surface ob's at Harrisburg as well.  The DP started dropping slight before 8 so that would indicate the front had passed to me.  But this is interesting as there is always a delay in temp drop from what I have seen.  HRRR has back building of precip well after the front, so I was not just counting on the precip.   HRRR has precip in MDT still at noon which is way past the front. 

The 3k NAM also has that similar back building of precip into the area. Regarding the front thing... I checked a HBG wunderground site and the pressure was already rising there. So to be honest I'm confused too because there's mixed signals I'm getting. But also, it doesn't really matter because all we really care about is the snow haha

image.thumb.gif.44c7bc9280d7495fcf3f06d60970b416.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newman said:

The 3k NAM also has that similar back building of precip into the area. Regarding the front thing... I checked a HBG wunderground site and the pressure was already rising there. So to be honest I'm confused too because there's mixed signals I'm getting. But also, it doesn't really matter because all we really care about is the snow haha

Yea, I was not trying to be persnickety, sorry.     To me it looked like the front passed Harrisburg before 8AM.  I had initially said it looked like it was in NJ but then I did see the WPC map was an estimate so I yanked that misconception, sorry.   I do believe it takes a period of time from front passage for temps mixing down to the surface.  

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, I was not trying to be persnickety, sorry.     To me it looked like the front passed Harrisburg before 8AM.  I had initially said it looked like it was in NJ but then I did see the WPC map was an estimate so I yanked that misconception, sorry.   I do believe it takes a period of time from front passage for temps mixing down to the surface.  

No you're all good, it was worth mentioning. I even pulled out my Atmospheric Dynamics notebook and textbook to read up again on fronts quickly and apply it to the current obs/situation.

Temp is dropping here, albeit slowly. Now 42

• Like 1

Just now, canderson said:

Isn't the issue we're discussing that the front passage here in PA isn't the "main" instigator but rather it is the bombing out as it moves east?

I was just enjoying the nerdy component of the discussion.  That WPC map made it a bit confusing as it showed the front in the Lehigh Valley at 7AM.  That seems to have been a bit quick. 

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

nerd alert! ;) 

I'm a met student! Can't help it. Will have my red tag in a few short months when I graduate ;) Except I won't be around the area anymore heading to grad school, but will still try to engage in the subforum when I can

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Where can we get 5-minute observations from the airport stations?  As I recall the previous site I had been using wasn't allowing for 5-minute intervals anymore.  

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=Kmdt

You can change the last 3 letters to any station....LNS, MUI, THV, etc.   (for anyone else seeing this link, I know you know that).  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Newman said:

I'm a met student! Can't help it. Will have my red tag in a few short months when I graduate ;) Except I won't be around the area anymore heading to grad school, but will still try to engage in the subforum when I can

That’s awesome - congrats! Know where you’re headed yet? 

Also gust to 46 just now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

That’s awesome - congrats! Know where you’re headed yet? 

Also gust to 46 just now. 

My top 3 schools are University of Alaska Fairbanks, Wyoming, and Utah. So places that get real snow and winter! lol

Check out the loop here, you can see some sort of wave riding up along the front making it's way north. That's what the HRRR and NAM are showing as our changeover to snow.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=subregional-Mid_Atlantic-comp_radar-24-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

How steep is your insurance? You lose more shingles in a year than people lose in camp hill per decade.

. Pro

I think it's more how high is my roof and how strong are the winds that funnel down into my house. 

I'd get a metal roof if not for the 2-3x the cost these days of asphalt shingles.