• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Historic Lake Effect Event?! 11/17-11/21

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That burst didn't last long at all. Picked up 3.6". Should be about it for this storm.

Awesome finale. Thanks for all the videos/photos etc for us to follow along with. Insanely impressive that you got your driveway shoveled/snowblown out lol. I'm gassed after one of our relatively lame 12 to 18"-ers down here. Do you have to clear your roof next?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Insane finale. Thanks for all the videos/photos etc for us to follow along with. Insanely impressive that you got your driveway shoveled/snowblown out lol. I'm gassed after one of our lame 18"-ers down here. Do you have to clear your roof next?

Was a ton of work, My roof is very tall and steep, not much I can do unless I get a roof rake.

5 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Actually, I think that record goes to Copenhagen, NY; 2 Dec 1966: 12 inches in one hour. 

Three times I've maybe seen 4"/hr in person are 12/30/00 (the one real thundersnow event I've been in) and 1/26/11 in Long Beach, and I think 4/2/07 in State College PA in the very tail end of a lake effect band. And those were insane. I can't imagine higher than that. The Sierra Nevadas I'm sure see some ridiculous snow rates and obviously in this event for Buffalo (and Watertown off Ontario). Was amazing to follow through on all the videos. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Three times I've maybe seen 4"/hr in person are 12/30/00 (the one real thundersnow event I've been in) and 1/26/11 in Long Beach, and I think 4/2/07 in State College PA in the very tail end of a lake effect band. And those were insane. I can't imagine higher than that. The Sierra Nevadas I'm sure see some ridiculous snow rates and obviously in this event for Buffalo (and Watertown off Ontario). Was amazing to follow through on all the videos. 

Some studies pegged the 50-60 dBz death band of Feb 2013 as high as 8-9 in/hr. While this has not been conclusively proven, I can tell you that responding in that was... Nuts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Some studies pegged the 50-60 dBz death band of Feb 2013 as high as 8-9 in/hr. While this has not been conclusively proven, I can tell you that responding in that was... Nuts. 

Don't get me started about that storm and dragging the thread off topic. Rain/sleet on the south shore wasted 10" at least from that storm and... :devilsmiley:

• Sad 2

So officially 77.3" storm total. Nov 2014 I received 88". I put this storm above it due to the insane thundersnow. But these 2 storms are in a tier of their own on my top 5 list.

1.) Nov 2022

2.) Nov 2014

3.) Dec 2001

4.) Oct 2006

5.) Dec 1995- I was very young at the time, but this is the storm that got me into weather so holds a special place.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Nemo right? I watched that thing all day. Absolute unreal band across Connecticut.

Yes, there really were 6"/hr amounts from CT to central LI. 30-40" amounts in that swath where the band sat for a few hours, and pretty sure CT's all time highest storm total. Where I was closer to NYC (by 30 miles west), initial heavy precip was sleet/rain and that death band came together too late. There was 12-13" by the end for me when the snow finally took over and there was a good amount of mod/heavy snow west of that band from the upper low combining into that monster, 30"+ about 30 miles east of me. 

• Like 1