• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022-2023 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

Thankfully I don't have to go anywhere Friday.

Thursday Night
Rain before 3am, then sleet between 3am and 4am, then snow after 4am. Low around 3. Wind chill values as low as -6. Windy, with a south wind 14 to 19 mph becoming west 27 to 32 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday
A chance of snow before 9am, then a slight chance of snow showers between 9am and noon. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 6. Windy, with a west northwest wind 30 to 33 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The HRRR is on drugs. Has Boone to -12 at the end of its run with a -39 wind chill.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Geez, it has me in the same ballpark...-13 with wc below -40. It has -50 wc values in the black and craggy mountains!

Ray's is pretty optimistic about snow totals in his discussion. 1-3" with double or more on the border. At this point I'll take covering the leaves as a win.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If there ever was a cold chasing moisture scenario that should work out to a degree, it would be this one. Otherwise I’m convinced it’s not possible in the Lee. Short range guidance is showing a nice little thump of snow pivoting through tomorrow morning. Not gonna hold my breath but with the temps crashing so dramatically above our heads, you could probably get snow at the surface even if you were in the low 40s. 

@wncsnow let’s reel it in! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

If there ever was a cold chasing moisture scenario that should work out to a degree, it would be this one. Otherwise I’m convinced it’s not possible in the Lee. Short range guidance is showing a nice little thump of snow pivoting through tomorrow morning. Not gonna hold my breath but with the temps crashing so dramatically above our heads, you could probably get snow at the surface even if you were in the low 40s. 

@wncsnow let’s reel it in! 

I would be shocked to see more than a stray flurry. 

19 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

Since the snow potential albeit light is anafrontal, wondering if ratios could be much higher since we are seeing dramatic temperature drops in 3 to 4 minutes?

Saw a map earlier in the TN Valley sub forum showing forecast ratios in the range of 20-26” of snow per inch of liquid for all mountain counties. 

Potential for high ratio stuff is there if we get the moisture once the front blasts through.

image.thumb.png.7d68834b3f0865a766e0662968a9302f.png

• Like 2

I’ve experienced a 45+ degree drop in less than 12 hours (I think it was like 8) in Ohio but that much in an hour is crazy.  The fact we are about 30 hours away from experiencing a blue norther this far SE is historic.  0z HRRR shows me at -9 at 11:30 am Friday morning, I can’t wrap my head around if that were to verify. 

• Like 4

Anybody with a glaze? My DP rose quickly last night and stalled temps at 35. 
We had one for a while, didn't get back above freezing til a little before sunrise. Bypass area of Boone still had a decent glaze when I came through this morning at 9 as did a couple sections between Boone and BR.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1