• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MW/GL/OV/ON Seasonal Snowfall Maps

Chicago WX

I've been working on seasonal snowfall maps for the region lately, and just finished the 2007-08 map. Unfortunately, no pretty colors or anything because my paint skills are pretty limited. Regardless, I'm hoping to finish maps for 06-07, 08-09, and 09-10 soon. The amounts were taken from official sites and some COOP sites using various methods found via the NWS and Environment Canada. Any errors are hopefully none of my own.

EDIT: Decided to make a map for Ontario as well.

Nice work. Looks like it took a lot of time. I like the bullseye in the Gogebic region of WI. I can attest to the pain in the ass that area is to forecast for with lake effect and terrain both playing a role.

Could you expand a little on the data and methodology?

Thanks. And my initial intent was to get the maps out first and then do a little more with the data. Needless to say, it's going to take a little while to get everything I want accomplished. laugh.gif Is there anything specific you think I should add? Just curious. :) I do have to add that a valuable amount of data is stored at EasternUSWx, with respect to that winter. Something I hope we all have permanent access to in the future.

Thanks. And my initial intent was to get the maps out first and then do a little more with the data. Needless to say, it's going to take a little while to get everything I want accomplished. laugh.gif Is there anything specific you think I should add? Just curious. :) I do have to add that a valuable amount of data is stored at EasternUSWx, with respect to that winter. Something I hope we all have permanent access to in the future.

I do have a little programming experience, but I do know there are a lot of ways to plot some colors on there. I think that would really highlight the general storm track of that record breaking winter through southern WI and NW Iowa as well as the lake effect belts. I also do know that is not something trivial, but it would add a lot.

I found the WI map from the NWS from that record breaking year. It matches nicely with yours.

post-999-0-11791000-1289872602.gif

I do have a little programming experience, but I do know there are a lot of ways to plot some colors on there. I think that would really highlight the general storm track of that record breaking winter through southern WI and NW Iowa as well as the lake effect belts. I also do know that is not something trivial, but it would add a lot.

I found the WI map from the NWS from that record breaking year. It matches nicely with yours.

No doubt color would make it better...I'm going to try to work on that. And yeah MKX has a nice map, which I used, along with maps from other offices as well. Unfortunately the majority do not have them, so it took a little time to go through the various office websites and add the numbers up. Utah Climate Center was also helpful for COOP sites.

Apparently the previous record at Madison was 76 inches and they ended with somewhere near 100! Talk about destroying a record.

Destroyed is right. Then add in 08-09 and they had an unbelievable two season run.

Top 10 Snowiest Seasons at MSN

1) 101.4"...2007-08

2) 76.1"...1978-79

3) 75.9"...1885-86

4) 73.7"...1993-94

5) 72.4"...1985-86

6) 72.0"...2008-09

7) 71.2"...1992-93

8) 70.9"...1909-10

9) 70.7"...1897-98

10) 67.4"...1970-71

I've been working on seasonal snowfall maps for the region lately, and just finished the 2007-08 map. Unfortunately, no pretty colors or anything because my paint skills are pretty limited. Regardless, I'm hoping to finish maps for 06-07, 08-09, and 09-10 soon. The amounts were taken from official sites and some COOP sites using various methods found via the NWS and Environment Canada. Any errors are hopefully none of my own.

EDIT: Decided to make a map for Ontario as well.

Very nice illustration why I prefer hanging around an American wx board vs. a Canadian wx board. At least here my avg. 52.4" carries a bit of clout. That Ontario map is depressing :(

Very nice illustration why I prefer hanging around an American wx board vs. a Canadian wx board. At least here my avg. 52.4" carries a bit of clout. That Ontario map is depressing :(

lol, I was thinking about that when I was going through the totals up there. LAF must seem like Miami to people in central/northern Ontario.

2008-09 Season Snowfall map done. Went with a little color this time...again it's not pretty, but you get the gist. "Major" climate sites found via the NWS sites in bigger font, COOP sites in smaller font.

I'm still working on the Ontario map...will post it at some point later.

2008-09 Season Snowfall map done. Went with a little color this time...again it's not pretty, but you get the gist. "Major" climate sites found via the NWS sites in bigger font, COOP sites in smaller font.

Who is that in MI that has 99.9? That might be one scenario where I'd consider padding the total. ;)

• 5 months later...

That 103.6" should be 109.6... :P

Great maps either way. And yeah that 99.9 at Hastings looks odd and is indeed off as i actually asked GRR about that because it is only 15 or so miles north of here and that number seemed odd to me considering the total here. Per them there was a little missing data. They missed a few spots/missing data in November and again with the April snows. Similar thing in 07-08 with a few spots missing some data including here.

That 103.6" should be 109.6... :P

Great maps either way. And yeah that 99.9 at Hastings looks odd and is indeed off as i actually asked GRR about that because it is only 15 or so miles north of here and that number seemed odd to me considering the total here. Per them there was a little missing data. They missed a few spots/missing data in November and again with the April snows. Similar thing in 07-08 with a few spots missing some data including here.

My bad. I think if I have time in the off-season, I'm going to redo the maps. I'll fix that error. :)

Oh and nice map Chi Storm.

My bad. I think if I have time in the off-season, I'm going to redo the maps. I'll fix that error. :)

Oh and nice map Chi Storm.

NP. As said great work. I usually expect them/GRR to have a higher total for here ( unless data is missing which yeah happens often ) then me because i tend to not include the 0.2/0.3 and such crap. Only exception would be say 06-07 which i still question the excessive high total GRR has for here. I know the Airport location that winter ended up with a bit more especially thanks to the i94 LES snow blitz but still 27+ inches more? I don't think so. More snow in 06-07 ( 97.5" ) vs 07-08 ( 93 or whatever the number they had was?) i don't think so.. More like 97-98" or so in 07-08 and say 80" to 85" TOPS in 06-07. Yeah i miss some snow but no way that adds up to 27" inches. Anyways you may wanna check back in at GRR as the climo dude did say he would try working on some of this stuff and thus a few numbers could be updated. We'll see anyways.

Archived