Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,127
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Jdhuffmanhws
    Newest Member
    Jdhuffmanhws
    Joined

Spring Snowstorm Obs. 4/18-4/19


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, winter_rules said:

We had a dusting at 11:15pm, 10 inches of white concrete on the ground at 2:15am.  Also broke a bunch of branches and trees, and we haven’t had power since about 2:30am, not expecting it back for quite a while.  Maybe tomorrow?  

A big branch took down our overhead electric service and pulled the pole to a 45° angle rather than pull the mount off the house!  

The sound from 2am to about Noon when I left for work was wild.  At 2am we could hear branches snapping (and the following muffled crash down to the ground) in the dark every 1-2 minutes all around us.  By Noon it had slowed down to probably one every 5 minutes.  I started trying to put broken branches into a pile but quit after two nearby branches broke overhead and came crashing down.  Not cool.  We have quite a mess to clean up.  

Nice recap!  I must say I'm a bit jealous.  I haven't seen a late season storm like this in 30 years for my area on the lake plain.  

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, winter_rules said:

We had a dusting at 11:15pm, 10 inches of white concrete on the ground at 2:15am.  Also broke a bunch of branches and trees, and we haven’t had power since about 2:30am, not expecting it back for quite a while.  Maybe tomorrow?  

A big branch took down our overhead electric service and pulled the pole to a 45° angle rather than pull the mount off the house!  

The sound from 2am to about Noon when I left for work was wild.  At 2am we could hear branches snapping (and the following muffled crash down to the ground) in the dark every 1-2 minutes all around us.  By Noon it had slowed down to probably one every 5 minutes.  I started trying to put broken branches into a pile but quit after two nearby branches broke overhead and came crashing down.  Not cool.  We have quite a mess to clean up.  

That’s exactly what we experienced during the October 2006 storm. Like continuous musket shots. Don’t envy you at all, the mess is both difficult to clean and depressing seeing the impact to trees. We can still see evidence of the 2006 storm to this day in lopped off tree tops and funky shaped trees. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Nice recap!  I must say I'm a bit jealous.  I haven't seen a late season storm like this in 30 years for my area on the lake plain.  

Can my family of 5 come shower and brush our teeth at your house?  
 

Back at work with electric and cell service.  Still no power at home and in most locations between home and Binghamton.  More than half of the gas stations I pass are closed with no power…..loooong lines at those with power and functional pumps. Passed many lineman trucks heading east on I88 coming in to help.  At least one was from Michigan.  

No action near our house yet so I’m hoping for warm and sun today to help warm up the house for us.  That’s the one good thing about this storm….losing power (heat, water, etc) in late April is very different than losing it in January! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, winter_rules said:

Can my family of 5 come shower and brush our teeth at your house?  
 

Back at work with electric and cell service.  Still no power at home and in most locations between home and Binghamton.  More than half of the gas stations I pass are closed with no power…..loooong lines at those with power and functional pumps. Passed many lineman trucks heading east on I88 coming in to help.  At least one was from Michigan.  

No action near our house yet so I’m hoping for warm and sun today to help warm up the house for us.  That’s the one good thing about this storm….losing power (heat, water, etc) in late April is very different than losing it in January! 

I assume you're on well water?  Seems like having a generator would be a top priority if a power outage cuts off even your water.  If you love extreme weather, you gotta be one step ahead of it!   Good luck with the cleanup! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

There is a lot more snow cover than I realized from this last storm, especially in the Western Southern Tier.  Even some snow on the higher ridges in Virginia.  This is a really nice loop, check it out before it gets too cloudy.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=ne&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

Capture.JPG.555b5cdd0b2fe9d7b5c6cf9f359b9024.JPG

Doing a hike on Saturday up in ADK. Preparing for a few feet of snow above 3k feet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I assume you're on well water?  Seems like having a generator would be a top priority if a power outage cuts off even your water.  If you love extreme weather, you gotta be one step ahead of it!   Good luck with the cleanup! 

FWIW I’m just joking with my whine about shower/brushing teeth.  But yes, we are on well water.  We still have water (whatever is left in the hydropneumatic tank) for now.  We can refill our toilets from the pond and creek.    The kids also brought snow into the bathtub that actually resulted in quite a bit of water.  We can also brush our teeth and get clean water down the road at my parents who get their water from a spring on the hill that flows to the house by gravity. 
 

We lose power regularly, but this is the first time I can recall going beyond 24hrs. I consider a generator often, but then look at the never ending cost and maintenance and the fact that I’m in my mid-30s and don’t ever recall this kind of situation.  It’s a lot of money to just sit there for years and then possibly use it for a day or two.  The neighboring farm has one that runs off the PTO of a tractor and that is interesting to me. The generator part does not need much maintenance, and if the engine component is actually a tractor that gets used regularly for other things, then it’s less of a hassle.  I’ll be looking into that option when things return to normal-ish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, winter_rules said:

FWIW I’m just joking with my whine about shower/brushing teeth.  But yes, we are on well water.  We still have water (whatever is left in the hydropneumatic tank) for now.  We can refill our toilets from the pond and creek.    The kids also brought snow into the bathtub that actually resulted in quite a bit of water.  We can also brush our teeth and get clean water down the road at my parents who get their water from a spring on the hill that flows to the house by gravity. 
 

We lose power regularly, but this is the first time I can recall going beyond 24hrs. I consider a generator often, but then look at the never ending cost and maintenance and the fact that I’m in my mid-30s and don’t ever recall this kind of situation.  It’s a lot of money to just sit there for years and then possibly use it for a day or two.  The neighboring farm has one that runs off the PTO of a tractor and that is interesting to me. The generator part does not need much maintenance, and if the engine component is actually a tractor that gets used regularly for other things, then it’s less of a hassle.  I’ll be looking into that option when things return to normal-ish. 

I bought a Champion generator in 2012 when Superstorm Sandy was heading our way, it cost about $400.  I've only used it three times since then.  I run it about twice a year for 15 minutes and put Stabil in the gasoline for long term storage. I've changed the oil twice in that time.  There has been virtually no additional cost or maintenance, or at least extremely minimal maintenance.  It just sits in the back corner of the garage ready to go.  Pretty much as easy as it gets to have that kind of peace of mind.  I think you are over complicating this in your head.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Storm recap map. You can see carol obviously juiced her numbers; as usual….with a tiny red dot on the Tug being the most snow of anywhere in the whole Northeast, (eye roll).

EE165E47-DBCE-477D-AE52-8E862100DA70.jpeg.9d443da34ec39bb94a226eb6f303ef13.jpeg

I mean the highest totals are obviously in the high peaks of ADK, but no one is measuring up at 5000 feet lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our power came back on this afternoon after 2.5 days without.

We have a Honda portable generator that I ran in the evening to power the furnace to warm the house up, provide water, and chill the refrigerator.

It was still damn cold in the house when I got up at 0500 and restarted it.

 

This was a devastating storm for Otsego County and adjacent areas.  Lots of infrastructure damage.  Even sadder are the fires burning down homes related to improper generator and other equipment misuse.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, cny rider said:

Our power came back on this afternoon after 2.5 days without.

We have a Honda portable generator that I ran in the evening to power the furnace to warm the house up, provide water, and chill the refrigerator.

It was still damn cold in the house when I got up at 0500 and restarted it.

 

This was a devastating storm for Otsego County and adjacent areas.  Lots of infrastructure damage.  Even sadder are the fires burning down homes related to improper generator and other equipment misuse.

 

 

Wow. Crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cny rider said:

Our power came back on this afternoon after 2.5 days without.

We have a Honda portable generator that I ran in the evening to power the furnace to warm the house up, provide water, and chill the refrigerator.

It was still damn cold in the house when I got up at 0500 and restarted it.

 

This was a devastating storm for Otsego County and adjacent areas.  Lots of infrastructure damage.  Even sadder are the fires burning down homes related to improper generator and other equipment misuse.

 

 

Wow that’s crazy.  glad you’re ok. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, cny rider said:

Our power came back on this afternoon after 2.5 days without.

We have a Honda portable generator that I ran in the evening to power the furnace to warm the house up, provide water, and chill the refrigerator.

It was still damn cold in the house when I got up at 0500 and restarted it.

 

This was a devastating storm for Otsego County and adjacent areas.  Lots of infrastructure damage.  Even sadder are the fires burning down homes related to improper generator and other equipment misuse.

 

 

I think this is one of those storms people will remember for decades.  Glad to hear that your power is back now!  We got ours back about 8pm Wednesday night, but it has been out again today since 7:30am. A section of our neighbors still haven’t had power back at all since it went out. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...