• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022 Drought Thread

Geoboy645

This may be a bit early, but considering the incredibly lackluster winter so far for most of the region and the antecedent dry conditions, I think it's time for this thread. Most of the northern and western areas of the Midwest have been dealing with some sort of drought for at least the last 8-9 months if not over a year. Last year was a top 10-15 driest year for much of this part of the region. The extended forecast and climate indices show no sign of this changing anytime soon.  We are entering a second La Nina year, which often lead to some of our hottest and driest years in the Midwest. We have had expanding drought through the winter, which doesn't happen very often in our climate. Now obviously there is the caveat that all it takes is a wet period in spring to erase the drought, but that doesn't seem very likely this spring.

20220208_midwest_text.png

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's crazy that some areas had a top 10 or 15 driest year on record last year. I did not realize it was THAT dry so. Been a pretty average Winter here snowwise to date (may change to the + by Friday) and 2021 was Detroit's 12th wettest year on record.

Last summer was a great thunderstorm summer June all the way into September IMBY.  If I recall we had a good October thunderstorm too. But not far to our west the drought was bad (sw corner of MI).  I have noticed that many of my best thunderstorm summers that Chicago and points west tend to be in a drought.

• Like 1

From a crop farming perspective, "plant in the dust, bins will bust!" Last March and April were pretty bone dry in Chickasaw County (NE Iowa.) All doom and gloom among the farming community. Big surprise rains in June, July, and especially August (12") led to record bin-busting yields. Hard to say how this year will go.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk