• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Texas/Oklahoma Discussion & Obs Thread 2022

Could be a good rain even tomorrow for Deep East and Southeast Texas tomorrow with a band of 2-3 inches likely. 

The front Thursday still looks amazing with a very sudden plunge in temperatures from 40s and 50s to 10s and 20s, winds gusting over 40mph and maybe a burst of snow especially as the front moves east. Could be some brief periods of limited visibility. Friday will start with wind chills below 0 for a huge portion of the state. Amazing to have forecasted temps in the single digits with winds over 20mph in this part of the state. Thankfully Christmas weekend looks nice though cold. Maybe a few mood flurries if the shortwave can find any moisture. 

The Christmas Eve snow is showing a bit on the GFS. It is reliant on the vort max staying over NTX where there is some moisture. If the vort stays south then there doesn't appear to be any moisture for it to tap into. Likely just flurries but these kind of systems in Arctic air can surprise. 

Lows in the teens in Houston will test my palm trees.  All looked like they were dead after 2/2021, but most of them made a full recovery.

I think GEFS are seeing ocean effect precip, many show precip just offshore Texas/Louisiana in the Gulf, none have it inland.  Just offshore that might be OES

The front came through Lubbock and the temperature fell 30 degrees in under an hour. The overnight low tonight there is forecast to be 9°F and they are already at 7°F, which was not forecast. This front is busting forecast and model numbers and you could easily take 5 degrees off of those. This front means business!

Been watching as well, not super optimistic with this system. Maybe we can get lucky and get a dusting N of I-20 in the evening. End of the month beginning of February is starting to get that look though, so hopefully that trend continues. February is usually when we score around here, hope this will be the 3rd year in a row. 

Houston ice storm, with no school.  This is the one 11 day GFS forecast that verifies perfectly this year.  About 0.3 to 0.5 inches of QPF.  Mostly sleet but with freezing rain to start and snow to finish.  Mid 20s during precip.  Only fly in the ointment is no rain to wash anti-ice chemicals off the bridges and overpasses, which isn't all bad, ambulances need to travel.  But ice on untreated surface streets (TxDOT only does bridges/overpasses), I'm already planning my day off with the children.  cc: @MJO812

gfs_2023012112_fh252_sounding_29.90N_95.38W.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_42.png

• Weenie 1

Just now, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Houston ice storm, with no school.  This is the one 11 day GFS forecast that verifies perfectly this year.  About 0.3 to 0.5 inches of QPF.  Mostly sleet but with freezing rain to start and snow to finish.  Mid 20s during precip.  Only fly in the ointment is no rain to wash anti-ice chemicals off the bridges and overpasses, which isn't all bad, ambulances need to travel.  But ice on untreated surface streets (TxDOT only does bridges/overpasses), I'm already planning my day off with the children.  cc: @MJO812

gfs_2023012112_fh252_sounding_29.90N_95.38W.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_42.png

Getting a weenie tag from Ant would make my life complete.